Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RBA Starblade posted:

Captain Shrederator seems like they really need to reconsider what they're doing at this point, outside a few good wins they're kind of just easy pickings at this point

I don't know really. (Spoilers for the fight) Quantum was an okay Crusher in the 2019 season, a few years to refine the design. And A crusher bot piercing the top armor is pretty much kryptonite for a full body spinner. One puncture in with the teeth, and you're bound to jam up the spinning body to the frame. Captain Shredderator is kind of a lovely bot though that needs a real rework

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So pumped for more Battlebots.

WD-Ribbot: Witch Doctor is my favorite team in the field with Tombstone out. The Buffalo Bills of Battlebots. They seemed really dialed in at the end of last season and in the tournament of champions thingy. I still think they're not going to get through the tippy-top tier bots like Minotaur or End Game though, unless they made some engineering leaps in the offseason.

Mike Galettly is a loving surgeon with this bot. Their insistence on not using forks will probably hamper them again this year, but this fight was domination of a good robot.

Hell yeah, they're fighting Minotaur at the end of the round robin.

:lol: that means Minotaur drew both the participants of last year's finals in their round robins. Being punished for their outbursts at the end of last year? Or another way to look at it, being helped with an inside lane on the No. 1 seed because they had an awkward exit last year?

Quantum-Shredderator: I might have missed it, but it seemed like Quantum didn't even really pierce the armor until the last minute. I think Shredderator just broke upon first impact.

Ripperoni-Gruff: Ripperoni is kind of what I'd think Nightmare would look like if it had kept going in the competition. Interesting flywheel thing, but does it hit as hard as bots without one? Gruff is a great test since it's tough as all hell.

Looks like the flywheel does not completely stop the gyro effect. Pretty much got their asses beat because they were flying all over the place, although hey, the weapon worked the whole time. That's something.

Huge-Shatter: Huge looking good. One of the best Huge performances in a long time. Using the wheels as a shield and then counter-attacking was a really smooth bit of driving.

Glitch-Riptide: Glitch team apparently very worried about getting through the safety check is not a great look for them.

Nice of Riptide to attempt to flip Glitch back over.

A very disappointing fight there. Glitch made a driving error early, showed their side to Riptide, and that was all she wrote. I was hoping to see a long slugfest between those two.

Free Shipping-Gigabyte: Holy gently caress, Free Shipping built an actual weapon and Gigabyte is being run by youngsters??? Quite the offseason for these teams.

Driving seems an issue with the new Gigabyte team. Gigabyte spinning on its broken self-righter was crazy. Good result for Free Shipping, but that looked more like Gigabyte self-destructing than Free Shipping winning.

Minotaur-Tantrum: I kinda see Tantrum as a fluke champ tbh. They had a much easier road to the final round of the tournament, and the other side of the bracket (particularly Minotaur, End Game, and Witch Doctor) beat the everloving poo poo out of each other and sent a hobbled WD to the finals.

A banner ceremony. Neat.

Cool fight. Minotaur looked loving great as usual.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ripperoni ownseroni. Love the gimmick, love the design, love the reliability.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I imagine Gary Gin holding the giant nut in the air after winning Battlebots with this meh, shrug of the shoulders expression on his face. drat I love his personality on screen

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

breakdancing Gigabyte ruled, but try to avoid driving in reverse next time

Minotaur back to form, nice

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 6, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This show being released to streaming earlier than on cable makes me a little sad, I can't tune in for live reaction commentary in the thread anymore. :smith:

That being said:

-Ripperoni is really cool, I love the pizza box design
-Full body spinners just....kinda suck?
-Huugggeeeeeee had a great night, I think that is the most dominant I've ever seen them
-Minotaur definitely would have won the giant nut last year if they'd won that match against Witch Doctor

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How is Cobalt splitting Ghost Raptor in half only at 7

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Banners! They even had the Comedy Central champions with the old school Comedy Central logo! I don't recognize Lamachine at the end though, or the symbol above it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

oh jay posted:

Banners! They even had the Comedy Central champions with the old school Comedy Central logo! I don't recognize Lamachine at the end though, or the symbol above it.

https://robotwars.fandom.com/wiki/1995_UK_Open_Competition

They didn't get a good shot of it, but pretty sure it's a Robot Wars logo. LA Machine won the 1995 UK Open championship, that turned into Robot Wars. And the bot was built by Greg Munson and Trey Roski (who created and still run Battlebots).

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

https://robotwars.fandom.com/wiki/1995_UK_Open_Competition

They didn't get a good shot of it, but pretty sure it's a Robot Wars logo. LA Machine won the 1995 UK Open championship, that turned into Robot Wars. And the bot was built by Greg Munson and Trey Roski (who created and still run Battlebots).

Ah, I thought the R might have meant Robot Wars, which confused me because they tend to never refer to that series by name. I never knew that proto-Robot Wars and BattleBots were intertwined like that from the start.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I really enjoyed the Riperoni team going full chaos and refusing to turn off their weapon despite being clearly out of control

Also, I think we're at the point where teams have to admit that full body spinners just aren't viable anymore. They had already been struggling for years, but the upper platform has shrunk their usable space so much that its not even a guarantee that they can spin up to full speed

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 6, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Clearly what we need are full vertical spinners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjEhA-L1Sf0&t=28s

Or some sort of hosed up sphere that probably will self-destruct on impact

If it'd count as moving under its own power somehow though it could be a 500 pound nightmare ball. That'd be fun :v:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Waiting on a weaponized hamster ball.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

oh jay posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/smashbotztv/clip/FlirtyFlaccidCarrotGrammarKing-85Stz5qVzKrG3BlY

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Now make it 250 pounds.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Full body spinners seem like the trilobites of battlebots at this point: something that flourished in prehistory, has no place in the modern ecosystem, but would still be neat to see

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Full body spinners seem like the trilobites of battlebots at this point: something that flourished in prehistory, has no place in the modern ecosystem, but would still be neat to see

I'm generally on the side of whatever is the most destructive, but even I'm getting to the point of wanting to not have a whole field of vertical spinners. At least full-body spinners are something different.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

People forget Gigabyte is sometimes an actual competitor. Don't know much about the new crew running the bot or their experience but they pulled a pretty tough first match, takes a lot to knock out Free Shipping. And likely that was their 1st time actually driving the bot with it spinning.

Gigabyte's whole schedule is pretty tough, Bloodsport, Starchild, and End Game. Starchild is a partner bot with Riperoni and is a Huge like bot. Bloodsport and End Game will probably just destroy the poo poo out of Gigabyte...

No idea why Captain Shredderator keeps trying though, needs some serious redesign to be at all worthwhile.

Also as mentioned before, as the full fight schedule was released at start of filming, Battlebots has also released the whole fight schedule of the season. https://battlebots.com/match-schedule/

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Gigabyte's whole schedule is pretty tough, Bloodsport

A clip of this fight was shown in a trailer. The two bots must be spinning on the same axis, so when they hit each other...well it looks like it might be the most violent hit possibly ever since both bots fly out of frame nearly instantly.

Edit: ah it's here at 56 seconds:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Great Beer posted:

Ripperoni ownseroni. Love the gimmick, love the design, love the reliability.

Yeah, I dunno how far it'll go but goddamn is it entertaining to watch :allears:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, I dunno how far it'll go but goddamn is it entertaining to watch :allears:

The 30lb Ripperoni had some of the hardest hits at the NHRL event. The 250lb version has some potential.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

oh jay posted:

man this reminded me of a CAD proof of concept someone made way back in the day of a hamster ball covered in spikes, with like a little robot inside of it driving around with an omni-wheel system to steer the giant ball. i think his name for it was Chaosphere or something equally 2005.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Railing Kill posted:

The 30lb Ripperoni had some of the hardest hits at the NHRL event. The 250lb version has some potential.

Yeah it'll be a monster of they can figure out how to consistently direct those hits towards their opponent and not at the battlebox/themselves. Their second hurdle is figuring out how to keep the 'bot fighting and not randomly breakdancing. :v: :slick:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

man this reminded me of a CAD proof of concept someone made way back in the day of a hamster ball covered in spikes, with like a little robot inside of it driving around with an omni-wheel system to steer the giant ball. i think his name for it was Chaosphere or something equally 2005.

Someone in the first season of Robot Wars UK make a bot that was literally just an RC car inside a giant hamster ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j8ICuKKqvc

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
good fights this episode.

i will defend full body spinners to the death, not because they are good (they're not, they're very bad) but at least it's different.

coming soon to season 9: captain shredderator but it's a vertical spinner instead

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ripperoni is going to have a disastrous season and I want to watch every minute of it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

logikv9 posted:

coming soon to season 9: captain shredderator but it's a vertical spinner instead

How about the top half of a store mannequin on tank treads, holding the spinner like a shield?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Battlebots should just change the rules to let a Meltybrain spinner compete. I guess currently not eligible because technically there is not an active weapon system since it's all part of the drive...

Team Liftoff from NHRL is great fun to watch and they've been doing crazy poo poo with their bot/s. They also have a crazy write up on NHRL's wiki page with all the changes, don't think any of the other NHRL competitors have such a write up.

https://wiki.nhrl.io/wiki/index.php/Project_LiftOff

Also for fun, this is one of Project Liftoff's fights from NHRL featuring the 3lb Starchild... Which the 250lb version is fighting Overhaul in a few weeks on Battlebots. Also they are the sister team of Riperoni, I guess both bots used mostly interchangeable parts for Battlebots. The builder of Starchild is also the builder of P1 from the previous seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2oilmugmZw

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also slightly unrelated, I'm interested to see how Discovery / Battlebots handles Shreddit Bro (first fight is also in a few weeks, same episode as Starchild above) as they straight up have the NHRL logo on the bot and their shirts.

NHRL is of course at least 1 of the "local competitions" they mentioned last week for Jonathan Shultz getting driving practice with Huge, but they decided to just say local competitions instead of giving NHRL the credit they deserve.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also slightly unrelated, I'm interested to see how Discovery / Battlebots handles Shreddit Bro (first fight is also in a few weeks, same episode as Starchild above) as they straight up have the NHRL logo on the bot and their shirts.

NHRL is of course at least 1 of the "local competitions" they mentioned last week for Jonathan Shultz getting driving practice with Huge, but they decided to just say local competitions instead of giving NHRL the credit they deserve.

It's the same team as Pain Train from the last couple of years, which I think also had NHRL branding.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
There's a few teams that have it on their shirts, I know I saw one this week, I think it was Tantrum.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BattleBots and NHRL aren't competitors anyway, I don't know why it would be an issue.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Battlebots should be fine with NHRL because it helps grow and sustain interest in robot combat, as well as functioning as a feeder league that Battlebots doesn't have to financially support.

If NHRL didn't exist already, Battlebots would have to invent it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Y'all are talking like Battlebots isn't owned by a traditional television broadcasting company.

Norwalk isn't competition per se, but YouTube, where their videos are hosted, is

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

How about the top half of a store mannequin on tank treads, holding the spinner like a shield?

ah yes, the Worst Timeline option

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mannequin spinner would have won 3 straight titles in the Comedy Central days

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Updated version of Buddy Lee Don't Play in the Streets.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I for one can't wait to see the triumphant return of the Obwalden Overlord.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Thursday night fight card.

Emulsifier is another NHRL team. Looks like they went all out on the NHRL branding. Which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh poo poo, Hypershock/Sawblaze is gonna be sick