Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The lineups they've shown so far have been really really good! I'm aware the whole thing is posted but I didn't look at it yet since it's a little fun to learn the coming fights when each robot makes a debut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chronojam posted:

The lineups they've shown so far have been really really good! I'm aware the whole thing is posted but I didn't look at it yet since it's a little fun to learn the coming fights when each robot makes a debut.

Also I'm guessing there might be changes down the line due to teams dropping out due to technical issues and getting replaced by a benchwarmer team

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Thursday night fight card.

Emulsifier is another NHRL team. Looks like they went all out on the NHRL branding. Which is cool.

I thought they sounded familiar. Also, is that tracked? I love the idea of tracks on robots but I know that realistically they're just a risk and likely to end up broken with your bot floundering with no mobility.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I thought they sounded familiar. Also, is that tracked? I love the idea of tracks on robots but I know that realistically they're just a risk and likely to end up broken with your bot floundering with no mobility.

It's tracked, but the tracks are at least double belted.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hypershock-Saw Blaze: Surprised to see Hypershock on the list of most KOs. I wonder if it's because they've been in so many desperado toruneys. Because before that tourney last year, they did not look like heavy hitters.

:lol: still no self-right for Hypershock? This was the most obvious thing to fix last season.

Hilarious that they were so stuck together they had to saw the weapon out.

Emulsifier-Fusion: A treaded version of Cobalt? Great fight.

Valkyrie-Mammoth: Always weird to see Valkyrie because it seems like "protect the wheels" is the #1 goal of everyone's armor so the undercutter really has an uphill battle in almost all fights.

Oh Mammoth fell to pieces basically on its own? What a shock

Madcatter-Whiplash: I like the idea of having captains in the booth for a fight or two but it didn't feel like Jamison Go added much in this one.

Surprisingly meh driving from Whiplash on that one. Madcatter kept its front to it, and avoided getting flipped.

Switchback-Banshee: Banshee seems like they might have had weapon issues out of the gate because it was not flipping very hard. Switchback actually finished a fight, which is a big improvement for them.

Big Dill-Hijinks: Pretty nothing fight there. I'm surprised Hijinx didn't shred the poo poo out of Big Dill's lifter when they were inverted and Dill's lifter was stuck up.

End Game-Blip: Great Pulverizer deployment to keep End Game away from Blip. Blip had a golden opportunity but just couldn't get under End Game.

Blip may have the toughest strength of schedule in the field.
- End Game
- Huge (not a premiere bot, but I don't know how Blip beats them)
- Tantrum
- Banshee (only obvious win here)

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 12, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Emulsifier/Fusion fight I think probably should've been called as a draw, they both got beat to hell and were mostly crippled by the end. Super good fight though

Poor Mammoth lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 12, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's no draws in battlebots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I know, but I think there probably ought to be

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Still can't believe the unstick procedure is a dude with a crowbar

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Excuse me it was 3 dudes with a crowbar

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Emulsifier-Fusion probably should be

Surprised it was unanimous win

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't as surprised. Emulsifier kept losing the weapon-on-weapon hits and was getting bounced all over the place.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Emulsifier never got aggressive and spent the time it wasn't airborne spinning up or positioning. It took more damage and didn't control the fight in any way. That may not have been a strong win but it was a clear one.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Whiplash surprisingly ineffectivly, did he think it was a practice fight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Whiplash surprisingly ineffectivly, did he think it was a practice fight

It's always weird to see Whiplash not all over its opponent from the jump.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm Blip and I drive straight into Endgame weapon

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sawblaze for the mf win

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

end game has really perfected the ground game, i have no idea how anyone's supposed to deal with that poo poo.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Emulsifier-Fusion probably should be

Surprised it was unanimous win

I'm surprised at all it was unanimous. Fusion had the most aggression, control, and did the most damage. If Fusion didn't catch on fire, the winner would be pretty drat clear. And Fusion got on fire because it's Fusion and less because of Emulsifier.

But Emulsifier lasting the full 3 minutes in it's rookie fight is pretty impressive. Should have a decent rest of the season.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

End Game pretty much didn't let Blip do anything else. End Game deserves it's #1 ranking and has a really good driver and stays squared up to it's opponent. Going to the Judges is pretty much a win against End Game. Only Tantrum went to the judges with End Game last season and only MInotaur was able to knock them out...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Checking out the full season roster and I'm disappointed to see that Rusty 2.0 is back but didn't make the field of 50 competitors. :(

There's some fun robots in there that didn't make the cut. I don't think that Doomba would have gone far but goodamn they would have been fun to watch at least once or twice

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

While not making the top 50. They are reserve bots and should have gotten at least 1 fight during filming. And I guess from what Mike posted above, if a bot has to drop out a reserve bot takes it's place for the rest of the fights. From the schedule that Battlebots posted, there is 5 episodes that currently only have 6 fights between the top 50 teams. With the 1st of them being 2/2.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

End Game pretty much didn't let Blip do anything else. End Game deserves it's #1 ranking and has a really good driver and stays squared up to it's opponent. Going to the Judges is pretty much a win against End Game. Only Tantrum went to the judges with End Game last season and only MInotaur was able to knock them out...

I know its how they win, but I find it makes watching End Game kind of boring. They just sit in the middle of the arena and wait for their opponent to come to them. Tactically its sound, but visually its just dull.

Also, what a surprise, Emulsifier lost because of their treads.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

While not making the top 50. They are reserve bots and should have gotten at least 1 fight during filming. And I guess from what Mike posted above, if a bot has to drop out a reserve bot takes it's place for the rest of the fights. From the schedule that Battlebots posted, there is 5 episodes that currently only have 6 fights between the top 50 teams. With the 1st of them being 2/2.

It'd be great if they held a Desperado tournament episode with all the bots who were at the bottom of the field plus all the reserves

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I know its how they win, but I find it makes watching End Game kind of boring. They just sit in the middle of the arena and wait for their opponent to come to them. Tactically its sound, but visually its just dull.

Also, what a surprise, Emulsifier lost because of their treads.

Maybe a little bit, but they mostly lost because their weapon was struggling, likely because it's the 1st time they tried driving with the weapon at full power. And really, Fusion beat the poo poo out of both bots :lol:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, Fusion's top cover looked like it was just loose and sat there with maybe one bolt holding it on at the end, like the one weapon hit would have sent it flying.

Also, HyperBlaze, when?

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
I like rusty but until he puts a real weapon on it I think it won't have much new to offer.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Man the low ground game is just loving boring to watch.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The Minotaur guys warned everyone years ago that was how it went in Brazil and it ended up being a snoozefest.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, how do you fix this with rules or the arena? More killsaw slots?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Lord knows, I think it would have to be rules based, but then it would gently caress over flippers.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Add a few random pieces of sheet metal in the middle of the arena. Bots without forks might be able to just drive over it, bots with forks can't.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe some hills?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Terrain is the best option imo but it may require a larger box so it's not just one thing or another

Ramp a hill and crash on top of Hydra

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just schedule a fight featuring a robot like Tombstone or Deep Six at the start of the night and the arena floor will all torn up and forks will be more of a hindrance than a help. :v:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, how do you fix this with rules or the arena? More killsaw slots?

Forks/wedges can't extend out more than 4 inches.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just schedule a fight featuring a robot like Tombstone or Deep Six at the start of the night and the arena floor will all torn up and forks will be more of a hindrance than a help. :v:

They kicked out Deep Six for tearing up the floor too much! The hero we didn't know we needed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For real though, the real solution possible, is just a 4ftx4ft steel plate in the middle of the arena would completely gently caress over forks. And allow a bot without a fork the high ground and a place to line up an ambush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Just make that raised area they've got already legal for play.