Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

dwarf74 posted:

I remember a compressed canister of insulation foam. Maybe that?

I must've missed that one. It would explain the glitter/confetti/bubbles(?!) clarification though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

dwarf74 posted:

**WEAPON SYSTEM WEIGHT DISPENSATIONS**
Any bots with hydraulic-, pneumatic- or ICE-powered weapons systems will be weighed “dry” (without fuel).

So much for my cunning plan to field an overweight robot with a massive helium tank.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

AtraMorS posted:

Was there a case of deliberate arena fouling that prompted that change? I remember the Valkyrie driver's bot carved a really rad 3/4 circle in one of the floors but I can't remember anybody messing anything up on purpose.

I don't think there's been any major deliberate arena fouling lately in NHRL. The spinners gouging the floor is unlikely the reason for the rule, so they are maybe just worried about something else causing actual safety issues or production delays.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Battlebots is doing a Vengence In Vegas thing for YouTube. 10 unaired fights, I believe from Season 7. They put up a Mammoth vs Terrortops fight as the preview. Around the 1:15 mark a camera lens gets busted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av9m-fvHqYw

Also Ray Billings put up a 2004 fight of a SHW version of Tombstone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Gco3Gv82c

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Im catching up on the golden bolt qualifier episodes and drat the last bracket is packed with good matches.

edit: I hadn't seen the hypershock ripperoni fight yet. what a weird tense crab battle

gary gin tearing up during his post fight with endgame rules. gary is a drat gem. full send all the time

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 22, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Vengeance in Vegas 2 fights are up on YouTube now!

And sad news, Marc Thorpe of Robot Wars died on the 24th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHS0p84DQyA

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
They unveiled a banner for him on the last episode too, I wonder if they knew he wasn't well and figured it was time to do something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

They unveiled a banner for him on the last episode too, I wonder if they knew he wasn't well and figured it was time to do something.

Yeah that was the dude who was the first Hall of Famer? I thought it was weird because he seemed to have a bunch of weirdo gimmick bots, but it makes a lot more sense now

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that was the dude who was the first Hall of Famer? I thought it was weird because he seemed to have a bunch of weirdo gimmick bots, but it makes a lot more sense now
You're thinking of Mark Setrakian (also the guy who made the cool rotating claw display for the Giant Nut). Marc Thorpe is the guy who organized the very first Robot Wars events. They both got flags up that day!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Vengeance in Vegas II:

Rusty v Hydra: Can't believe the chainsaw-kitana combo failed Rusty.

Mammoth v. Terrortops: Rookie reservist wins by virtue of having a weapon capable of doing damage. Hopefully they're in the real field next season.

Also gonna be mean here and say hopefully Mammoth is not. They bounced Rusty to reservist/mascot status, they should do the same to Mammoth if it shows up again.

Gruff v. Slammo: Interesting matchup, with Gruff showing off a drastically new config that it probably should have used last season.

Deathroll v. Rotator: Pretty good fight, no notes

Double Tap v. Quantum: I feel like Quantum would be much deadlier if they had the Jamison Go encyclopedic knowledge of where everyone's batteries are. They seem to just grab and bite whatever they can, with varying levels of effectiveness.

Lucky-Beta: Proper thrashing by the Canadians. It's hard to imagine a Battlebots meta where Beta is effective.

Kraken v. Skorpios: That plow looks a lot better for Skorpios.

Overhaul v. Doomba: Finally the battle we've all been waiting for. Ah, at least Overhaul got a lift off?

Malice v. Captain Shredderator: Shred's got the gremlins again. Too bad.

Bloodsport v. Big Dill: Big Dill just not aggro enough in the first 90 seconds. Did not get the followup punches it needed while Bloodsport was spun down. It did finally manage to break the weapon with its face, which was enough to win.

The editing is so corny. Camera shakes on big hits, fake rear end glass breaking, flames on the sides. I think they let the interns do them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Vengeance in Vegas II:

Bloodsport v. Big Dill: Big Dill just not aggro enough in the first 90 seconds. Did not get the followup punches it needed while Bloodsport was spun down. It did finally manage to break the weapon with its face, which was enough to win.

The editing is so corny. Camera shakes on big hits, fake rear end glass breaking, flames on the sides. I think they let the interns do them.

Kind of disagree here on Big Dill not being aggressive enough. Without their weapon, the best chance to get a knockout on Bloodsport is to let Bloodsport spin up their weapon before hitting them again. Big Dill was in control of most of the fight, and initiated most of the hits. Although Bloodsport would have won if their weapon didn't go down.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow.

Vengeance in Vegas made me realize just how important folks like Chris and Kenny are to the show.

It was... Not awesome?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Wow.

Vengeance in Vegas made me realize just how important folks like Chris and Kenny are to the show.

It was... Not awesome?

Its weird isn't it, the same fight without their commentary can be almost unwatchable. NHRL is pretty good, but I feel like every other robot competition I've seen doesn't work because they can't commentate to save their lives.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What if BattleBots, but with Mexican futbol announcers?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If they want to show barely produced fights as it is, why even include the dumpy stock music? Let's hear the fight noises and the crowd.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Get Gus Johnson on the call
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpkK5jjz8AU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
To balance out my negativity about the editing: I thought the little indicators that said "weapon offline" were cool. Kenny and Chris after often slow to notice when that happens, so it might be something that could work in the main show. Then again, it probably would take you out of it a bit, really puts a hat on the fact that it's not live.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

To balance out my negativity about the editing: I thought the little indicators that said "weapon offline" were cool. Kenny and Chris after often slow to notice when that happens, so it might be something that could work in the main show. Then again, it probably would take you out of it a bit, really puts a hat on the fact that it's not live.

yeah I go both ways on it. just because sometimes you're not sure if the weapon is dead or not. sometimes its just that something overheated and it needed some time to cool down before they kick it back on, or something got lodged that gets dislodged later. you sort of lose the element of 'oh poo poo its back up and working!'

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

yeah I go both ways on it. just because sometimes you're not sure if the weapon is dead or not. sometimes its just that something overheated and it needed some time to cool down before they kick it back on, or something got lodged that gets dislodged later. you sort of lose the element of 'oh poo poo its back up and working!'

Yeah, good point. You'd be getting spoiled a bit by having the editor who knows whether it's really offline or not point it out.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Keep those kind of edits for the post-fight replays then. "If you look closely you can see the exact moment his weapon breaks in two" style. Best of both worlds.

E: keep the height measurements too, in the replays. Those could be fun if they weren't constantly interrupting the action.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 27, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A solid proving grounds fight up on YouTube. There's a handful I think, but all from individual teams.

Also the Battlebox has been well abused with running fights several days a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPsMOU_JjHQ

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also the Battlebox has been well abused with running fights several days a week.

BB should have an angle grinder Zamboni.

Also some questionable editing, but Vengeance in Vegas 2 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHS0p84DQyA

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday they are doing their NHRL All Star event. 7-10EST each night. Not sure on the format but here's the 12lb all star pools!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeSaIvu5vNo

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They put up the 30lb All Stars preview. Lots of strong bots in the field. Ray Billings is a nice surprise since he only did the 1 event at NHRL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixliRX8k66M

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Schedule for tonight:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
LOL Dutch Oven destroyed one of the arenas with fire to the point they've had to take it out of commission for the rest of the night.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't think there's been any major deliberate arena fouling lately in NHRL. The spinners gouging the floor is unlikely the reason for the rule, so they are maybe just worried about something else causing actual safety issues or production delays.
Got a great explanation for that particular rulechange tonight via a Housebot KO. The Housebot will be part of the arena (kind of like umpires are "part of the field" in football or baseball), and flipping the Housebot on purpose will count as arena fouling.

Well nevermind, that's wrong. On-air correction I guess. That would've made a lot of sense though.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 6, 2023

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

LOL Dutch Oven destroyed one of the arenas with fire to the point they've had to take it out of commission for the rest of the night.

Yeah I foresee a new NHRL rule, that was completely uncontrolled, just too big and hot a flame. Plastics on the roof melted, a screen came down, at least 1 iphone if not 2 were destroyed. The funniest thing is that they absolutely slaughtered the match, getting top scores from all 3 judges :v:

Also Kevin flipped a housebot again...on his opponent Knockout. And got a KO. Unbelievable.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 6, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Knocked out Knockout after knocking out the house bot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Its really impressive that his, comparatively, small robot can flip the house bot.

I wonder if people are going to look at Dutch Oven and try and build something similar for BattleBots. I'd love for the meta of spinners to die due to either being melted or just overheating from massive flame bots.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I suspect it's hard to make fire more viable at a heavier weight as there's less stuff to melt on bots because more of the weight is metal armor?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, that's why I said overheating might work. I've heard builders say they have to worry about their motors overheating thanks to how much current they dump into them. I think a recent Skorpios video mentioned modifying motors to improve cooling.
Also, you might not be able to melt the bot, but you might get it hot enough that the insulation in the wiring melts and starts shorting out.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There was an analysis I read two or three seasons ago that basically said there was one documented case of fire making a difference, ever. That might have gone up a little, since.

But, the most vulnerable thing is the motor speed controllers. Apparently teams are packing them full of dry ice right before the matches. You'd need to hold a torch like, right on the dry ice for a full three minutes to do anything to it.

Flamethrowers are a gimmick. A fun one, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

Flamethrowers are a gimmick. A fun one, though.

I don't know if the rules have changed, but flamethrowers didn't even used to be considered an "active weapon" for scoring purposes, so even a bot like Gruff which has a pretty powerful, directed torch has to have a lifter in the design.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Its really impressive that his, comparatively, small robot can flip the house bot.

I wonder if people are going to look at Dutch Oven and try and build something similar for BattleBots. I'd love for the meta of spinners to die due to either being melted or just overheating from massive flame bots.

Considering Dutch Oven is built by Aren Hill's team (of Tantrum & Blip). I imagine that is something in his mind to try. But fire is effective at NHRL because many bots are running 3d printed plastic parts. NHRL also effectively allows way more fuel than Battlebots. NHRL lets 3lb bots run 8 ounces & the 12lb & 30lb can run 16 ounces of fuel. Where Battlebots, the limit for the 250lb bots is 16.4 ounces.

I would imagine NHRL is going to end up building 1 or 2 cages specifically designed for fire though in future events.

They did post just that fight individually, I'm not sure if there was actually an iPhone in that corner or not, can't really tell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDuQCF0Jv58

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They also posted the final fight of last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ZICXGeppw

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Good lord :stare:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Considering Dutch Oven is built by Aren Hill's team (of Tantrum & Blip). I imagine that is something in his mind to try. But fire is effective at NHRL because many bots are running 3d printed plastic parts. NHRL also effectively allows way more fuel than Battlebots. NHRL lets 3lb bots run 8 ounces & the 12lb & 30lb can run 16 ounces of fuel. Where Battlebots, the limit for the 250lb bots is 16.4 ounces.

I would imagine NHRL is going to end up building 1 or 2 cages specifically designed for fire though in future events.

They did post just that fight individually, I'm not sure if there was actually an iPhone in that corner or not, can't really tell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDuQCF0Jv58

They did show at some point in the night that they just have iPhones and don't use GoPros any more.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
It happened again. Droopy just sliced into an iPhone in the corner when fighting Mixtape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It happened again. Droopy just sliced into an iPhone in the corner when fighting Mixtape.

"I like my Droopy medium-well" and they only just fixed up cage 3 what teh fux.