Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Move the shelf to the middle and put a ramp on either side. Replace rumbles with 4 man king of the hill matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Now you're just describing a Mario Kart 64 arena.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You say that like it's a bad thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A lot of bots could be greatly improved by giving them red shells

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm really enjoying the small changes to the show format. It feels more genuine and sincere, but also fun. Giving more information and letting the team personalities shine. I love that stuff.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TomR posted:

I'm really enjoying the small changes to the show format. It feels more genuine and sincere, but also fun. Giving more information and letting the team personalities shine. I love that stuff.

they just need to give me a little more poo poo from the pits. why did this bot break down, what's the damage look like when you zoom in on it. shatter looked like it barely touched HUGE but then you check after the fight and they definitely got a couple of good swings in. give some more context to the scale of things

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The thermal cam was a nice addition

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

What the hell, Whiplash?

Tunicate posted:

The thermal cam was a nice addition

It would be nice to see more of that. The prefight voting is also neat. It's just cool to see them try different things to mix it up, so I'm not bothered by e.g. the Sawblaze captain being pulled into the announcer seat, either.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I really appreciate that they're trying a bunch of new things and continually freshening up the format

I think that Jamieson Goh did okay as a guest announcer for a first timer, it's a skill you can really only learn while doing it. It's a sure bet that Will Bales will also get a go at it at some point, I just hope they keep the Mad Catter guy away from the mic as much as possible

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Gary Jin is the most relatable person on the show.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Was there some kind of malfunction going on with Whiplash? I don't think I saw their weapon ever spinning up, and the whole match seemed like something just wasn't working there.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

Was there some kind of malfunction going on with Whiplash? I don't think I saw their weapon ever spinning up, and the whole match seemed like something just wasn't working there.

They were having speed controller issues. Also one of the hits killed their weapon ESC.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The fightcard for the week.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who's driving Cobalt since I think Matt Maxim and John Malatnik aren't here this year? Death Roll v Cobalt is the spiderman pointing meme

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The fightcard for the week.

Looking forward to seeing this Triton monstrosity

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Rooting for Rotator so hard that it hurts.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Is that not just Deep Six turned sideways?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Madurai posted:

Is that not just Deep Six turned sideways?

:ssh:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Madurai posted:

Is that not just Deep Six turned Tombstone?

Yes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wide six

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Girthy 6

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Can't wait for Hydra to win a judge's decision and Rotator dude to throw another hissy fit

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PostNouveau posted:

Going to have amazing failure states

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Rooting for Rotator so hard that it hurts.

I don't know HOW they do it, but I definitely want to see them do it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cobalt-Deathroll: It looked like the only damage to Cobalt was leaving one of those floppy forks in a killsaw slit

Claw Viper-Ominous: Rookie bot blues. That weapon does not look up to par. Ominous looked so maneuverable before the match and then looked much slower in the actual fight.

Ominous has a pillow soft schedule, so they might bounce back. Remaining is Shreddit Bro, Switchback, and Shatter.

Copperhead-Bloodsport: :catstare:

Malice-Lockjaw: Great fight by Lockjaw all around, except for the wheels seeming to barely touch the ground.

Lucky-Triton: Yeah, looks like Tombstone 2.0. It did not shake itself apart like Tombstone though. I think that fight was closer than it looked; Lucky didn't show much damage but it was getting more and more sluggish the more it got jarred around.

Lucky-Skorpios: Forks doing some work there for Skorpios, lol @ Skorpios' opening move being "here, hit both my wheels"

Hydra-Rotator: Vintage Hydra

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's honestly extremely funny that Battlebots rejected Deep 6's application so they took the same weapon bar and put it horizontal. It's a straight up gently caress You to Battlebots, but also seems like a fun design that will be pretty fun to watch in it's future fights.

Even though I don't think Jake Ewert is actually upset with Tantrum for winning their fight (just upset with the judges), it's going to be a real fun fight in a couple weeks... Jake is going to... throw a Tantrum and throw Tantrum all over the box for the entire fight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Even though I don't think Jake Ewert is actually upset with Tantrum for winning their fight (just upset with the judges), it's going to be a real fun fight in a couple weeks... Jake is going to... throw a Tantrum and throw Tantrum all over the box for the entire fight.

He likes to lean into the villain role so much that I can't tell if he's actually wants to whine about that decision or if he knows it's a good heel play for the cameras. For all the Madcatter guy's attempts at being a wrestling heel, Jake Ewert is much better at it.

He got hoisted by his own petard last time. He likes to technically be correct about how the scoring should go, but it's pretty clear the judges disagreed with him last year that sitting in the middle of the box and waiting for your opponent to come to you is a great strategy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Claw Viper is still fast as hell and also controllable for once

Uh, nice redesign Bloodsport

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 20, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

He likes to lean into the villain role so much that I can't tell if he's actually wants to whine about that decision or if he knows it's a good heel play for the cameras. For all the Madcatter guy's attempts at being a wrestling heel, Jake Ewert is much better at it.

He got hoisted by his own petard last time. He likes to technically be correct about how the scoring should go, but it's pretty clear the judges disagreed with him last year that sitting in the middle of the box and waiting for your opponent to come to you is a great strategy.

I think he's at least genuinely thinking he won the fight and upset with the decision. Between the Hydra vs Tantrum fight and Witch Doctor vs Minotaur fight. Those 2 decisions are why this season Mike Jeffries is the match steward and teams can protest a decision and make the judges judge the fight again.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's a decent spot for Jake Ewert, he can lean into it and it covers when he's actually upset about poo poo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
drat, that Malice/Lockjaw fight was something

Overall, that was a great episode, tons of very entertaining fights

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The weapon execution on Hydra was fantastic, timing was incredibly on point.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
If Jake is going to drive Hydra like that then I have no problem with him winning. He even seems to have found a more likeable "villain" persona this time. The one take they used he couldn't even get the line out without cracking up, which I enjoy.

Seems like Triton's weapon bar is too heavy for the motor they are using. It didn't seem to hit very hard even though it's so massive.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

Seems like Triton's weapon bar is too heavy for the motor they are using. It didn't seem to hit very hard even though it's so massive.

Lucky seemed to have ton of armor on. Triton will have the same issue as Tombstone where that's just a hard-counter to them and most everyone with the resources has that configuration ready to go.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Considering how much destruction could have happened with this episode its mad 3 fights ended in people just getting stuck on the wall.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
They need a higher speed camera for the replays
Bloodsport just dissolves in a shower of sparks in like, two frames

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That IS on a high speed camera. poo poo happens fast in the BattleBox.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Great Beer posted:

That IS on a high speed camera. poo poo happens fast in the BattleBox.

h i g h e r

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Was that high speed? I thought it was just the normal footage slowed down. The problem with high speed cameras is needing to more work to use than a normal camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It might have been slightly higher speed, but yeah, compare to Witch Doctor's legitimately high speed stuff, where you can see the whole frame wobbling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaCuKa_efyY&t=81s