Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

El Fideo posted:

The Vegas stage show is interesting in a lot of ways. One of the biggest limitations for most teams is the difficulty in testing and practicing. These teams are going to be getting a whole lot more driving and fighting time than most others.

They were casting actors to play the teams while someone behind the scenes drove, so I think they're just going to have in-house engineers and drivers while licensing the robots.

I would wonder if the teams who get licensing deals from it will get info from the Battlebots engineers and drivers about performance over the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Some rejected designs in this video I'd not heard of before. My favorites are:

- 37 traffic cones with no weapons that just clog the area with debris and maybe the opponent high centers itself
- A full-body spinner that drives autonomously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2hXxsUfO8

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I imagine they will get some feedback about performance, but I question how much it will be beneficial. Part of the press release says they will be purpose built versions of fan favorite bots.

I imagine that they would likely use some cheaper materials and parts and build the bots so they'd be quick and easy to fix.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. They could design to use as many of the same parts and systems across the whole fleet that way as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah, Tantrum-Minotaur

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Captain Shrederator seems like they really need to reconsider what they're doing at this point, outside a few good wins they're kind of just easy pickings at this point

I could see them getting the boot to the "reserve bots" pile if they don't turn it around.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So pumped for more Battlebots.

WD-Ribbot: Witch Doctor is my favorite team in the field with Tombstone out. The Buffalo Bills of Battlebots. They seemed really dialed in at the end of last season and in the tournament of champions thingy. I still think they're not going to get through the tippy-top tier bots like Minotaur or End Game though, unless they made some engineering leaps in the offseason.

Mike Galettly is a loving surgeon with this bot. Their insistence on not using forks will probably hamper them again this year, but this fight was domination of a good robot.

Hell yeah, they're fighting Minotaur at the end of the round robin.

:lol: that means Minotaur drew both the participants of last year's finals in their round robins. Being punished for their outbursts at the end of last year? Or another way to look at it, being helped with an inside lane on the No. 1 seed because they had an awkward exit last year?

Quantum-Shredderator: I might have missed it, but it seemed like Quantum didn't even really pierce the armor until the last minute. I think Shredderator just broke upon first impact.

Ripperoni-Gruff: Ripperoni is kind of what I'd think Nightmare would look like if it had kept going in the competition. Interesting flywheel thing, but does it hit as hard as bots without one? Gruff is a great test since it's tough as all hell.

Looks like the flywheel does not completely stop the gyro effect. Pretty much got their asses beat because they were flying all over the place, although hey, the weapon worked the whole time. That's something.

Huge-Shatter: Huge looking good. One of the best Huge performances in a long time. Using the wheels as a shield and then counter-attacking was a really smooth bit of driving.

Glitch-Riptide: Glitch team apparently very worried about getting through the safety check is not a great look for them.

Nice of Riptide to attempt to flip Glitch back over.

A very disappointing fight there. Glitch made a driving error early, showed their side to Riptide, and that was all she wrote. I was hoping to see a long slugfest between those two.

Free Shipping-Gigabyte: Holy gently caress, Free Shipping built an actual weapon and Gigabyte is being run by youngsters??? Quite the offseason for these teams.

Driving seems an issue with the new Gigabyte team. Gigabyte spinning on its broken self-righter was crazy. Good result for Free Shipping, but that looked more like Gigabyte self-destructing than Free Shipping winning.

Minotaur-Tantrum: I kinda see Tantrum as a fluke champ tbh. They had a much easier road to the final round of the tournament, and the other side of the bracket (particularly Minotaur, End Game, and Witch Doctor) beat the everloving poo poo out of each other and sent a hobbled WD to the finals.

A banner ceremony. Neat.

Cool fight. Minotaur looked loving great as usual.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Full body spinners seem like the trilobites of battlebots at this point: something that flourished in prehistory, has no place in the modern ecosystem, but would still be neat to see

I'm generally on the side of whatever is the most destructive, but even I'm getting to the point of wanting to not have a whole field of vertical spinners. At least full-body spinners are something different.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also slightly unrelated, I'm interested to see how Discovery / Battlebots handles Shreddit Bro (first fight is also in a few weeks, same episode as Starchild above) as they straight up have the NHRL logo on the bot and their shirts.

NHRL is of course at least 1 of the "local competitions" they mentioned last week for Jonathan Shultz getting driving practice with Huge, but they decided to just say local competitions instead of giving NHRL the credit they deserve.

It's the same team as Pain Train from the last couple of years, which I think also had NHRL branding.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Battlebots should be fine with NHRL because it helps grow and sustain interest in robot combat, as well as functioning as a feeder league that Battlebots doesn't have to financially support.

If NHRL didn't exist already, Battlebots would have to invent it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mannequin spinner would have won 3 straight titles in the Comedy Central days

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hypershock-Saw Blaze: Surprised to see Hypershock on the list of most KOs. I wonder if it's because they've been in so many desperado toruneys. Because before that tourney last year, they did not look like heavy hitters.

:lol: still no self-right for Hypershock? This was the most obvious thing to fix last season.

Hilarious that they were so stuck together they had to saw the weapon out.

Emulsifier-Fusion: A treaded version of Cobalt? Great fight.

Valkyrie-Mammoth: Always weird to see Valkyrie because it seems like "protect the wheels" is the #1 goal of everyone's armor so the undercutter really has an uphill battle in almost all fights.

Oh Mammoth fell to pieces basically on its own? What a shock

Madcatter-Whiplash: I like the idea of having captains in the booth for a fight or two but it didn't feel like Jamison Go added much in this one.

Surprisingly meh driving from Whiplash on that one. Madcatter kept its front to it, and avoided getting flipped.

Switchback-Banshee: Banshee seems like they might have had weapon issues out of the gate because it was not flipping very hard. Switchback actually finished a fight, which is a big improvement for them.

Big Dill-Hijinks: Pretty nothing fight there. I'm surprised Hijinx didn't shred the poo poo out of Big Dill's lifter when they were inverted and Dill's lifter was stuck up.

End Game-Blip: Great Pulverizer deployment to keep End Game away from Blip. Blip had a golden opportunity but just couldn't get under End Game.

Blip may have the toughest strength of schedule in the field.
- End Game
- Huge (not a premiere bot, but I don't know how Blip beats them)
- Tantrum
- Banshee (only obvious win here)

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 12, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Still can't believe the unstick procedure is a dude with a crowbar

Excuse me it was 3 dudes with a crowbar

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't as surprised. Emulsifier kept losing the weapon-on-weapon hits and was getting bounced all over the place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Whiplash surprisingly ineffectivly, did he think it was a practice fight

It's always weird to see Whiplash not all over its opponent from the jump.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, how do you fix this with rules or the arena? More killsaw slots?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe some hills?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just schedule a fight featuring a robot like Tombstone or Deep Six at the start of the night and the arena floor will all torn up and forks will be more of a hindrance than a help. :v:

They kicked out Deep Six for tearing up the floor too much! The hero we didn't know we needed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A lot of bots could be greatly improved by giving them red shells

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The fightcard for the week.

Looking forward to seeing this Triton monstrosity

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Rooting for Rotator so hard that it hurts.

I don't know HOW they do it, but I definitely want to see them do it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cobalt-Deathroll: It looked like the only damage to Cobalt was leaving one of those floppy forks in a killsaw slit

Claw Viper-Ominous: Rookie bot blues. That weapon does not look up to par. Ominous looked so maneuverable before the match and then looked much slower in the actual fight.

Ominous has a pillow soft schedule, so they might bounce back. Remaining is Shreddit Bro, Switchback, and Shatter.

Copperhead-Bloodsport: :catstare:

Malice-Lockjaw: Great fight by Lockjaw all around, except for the wheels seeming to barely touch the ground.

Lucky-Triton: Yeah, looks like Tombstone 2.0. It did not shake itself apart like Tombstone though. I think that fight was closer than it looked; Lucky didn't show much damage but it was getting more and more sluggish the more it got jarred around.

Lucky-Skorpios: Forks doing some work there for Skorpios, lol @ Skorpios' opening move being "here, hit both my wheels"

Hydra-Rotator: Vintage Hydra

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Even though I don't think Jake Ewert is actually upset with Tantrum for winning their fight (just upset with the judges), it's going to be a real fun fight in a couple weeks... Jake is going to... throw a Tantrum and throw Tantrum all over the box for the entire fight.

He likes to lean into the villain role so much that I can't tell if he's actually wants to whine about that decision or if he knows it's a good heel play for the cameras. For all the Madcatter guy's attempts at being a wrestling heel, Jake Ewert is much better at it.

He got hoisted by his own petard last time. He likes to technically be correct about how the scoring should go, but it's pretty clear the judges disagreed with him last year that sitting in the middle of the box and waiting for your opponent to come to you is a great strategy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

Seems like Triton's weapon bar is too heavy for the motor they are using. It didn't seem to hit very hard even though it's so massive.

Lucky seemed to have ton of armor on. Triton will have the same issue as Tombstone where that's just a hard-counter to them and most everyone with the resources has that configuration ready to go.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Which ones are Battlebots designed? Diablo and that wicked-looking axe thing? The aesthetics on them are on-point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ooo, another bot with Huge wheels

This one is apparently based on a beetleweight bot with the same name. It looks difficult to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYBrgacJ_1c

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Black Dragon-Monsoon: Pretty good fight. Monsoon had a shot when Black Dragon was upside down, if only they'd managed to get to the wheels. Not that I was rooting against Black Dragon, but when they start talking about never getting KO'd, well you start wanting to see it.

Emulsifier-Malice: lol the loving carnage. Emulsifier might be a pretty good bot one day but they've got some gremlins during the rookie campaign.

Starchild-Overhaul: Interesting idea with this bot design. I don't know that the issue is the difficulty of driving like I thought it would be, but rather that it is not capable of holding its opponents in place. Sawblaze has those forks and often aims to pin its opponents to the wall to deliver blows. Every single time Starchild hits, it glances off.

I mean, rookie bot and all, but losing to a perennial punching bag is a very bad sign.

Gruff-Quantum: I feel like I finally understand the concept here. Instead of grabbing and slamming, just bite bite bite until you disconnect some vital components. Grapplers and slammers are bottom-of-the-barrel bots, but this one might be able to get some upsets.

Kraken-Beta: Tough challenge for new Kraken because Beta is such a loving tank. Beta smacking away with that busted hammer was hilarious.

Shreddit Bro-Horizon: lol both bots broken right out of the gate. Horizon looks like it's perfectly engineered to get high-centered in new and exciting ways.

Hypershock-Whiplash: Good lord Will Bales, just build a self-righter and become an A-tier bot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Hammer saws aren't saws, they're just flywheels on a stick. They don't need prolonged contact like a saw.

I dunno man Starchild had like a dozen glancing blows that did barely anything and lost a unanimous decision to maybe the worst bot in the field

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty sure they gave Whiplash like the hardest schedule ever. Madcatter, Hypershock, Monsoon, and Tantrum. Only way it could have been harder is if they threw End Game in there... :lol: "gently caress you, you get 4 verts!"

Minotaur's schedule is pretty nuts:

- Tantrum
- Free Shipping (no longer a pushover but probably an easy win)
- Cobalt
- Witch Doctor

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Looks like some serious destruction potential in this one.

I'm glad they're giving the reserve bots some fights because Doomba is hilarious

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Witch Doctor has been posting updates from the offseason. They were working to get brushless weapon motors working so they could get it up to the max allowed tip speed of 250 mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVj9pcnQHR8

You can see in the slow mo of the full speed hit, their own frame wobbles like crazy and it breaks every screw in the base plate, just from the force of landing the hit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

blip v huge seems ridiculous tho, i can't see blip being able to do much to huge while huge can definitely do a lot more damage this season to blip, so huge would easily win just on control and aggression out of the gate.

I can't imagine how Blip could win this fight, at least now that they've change the rules so they can't build a Hydra-style "you can't touch me" bar

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

Wait... is that a chainsaw?

:hmmyes:

https://www.facebook.com/DoombaBattleBot/videos/1499959567200854/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Lineup for their destruct a thon shows is out.

The house bots all have great looks to them. I'm not sure any of them but Diablo would be effective. Ginsu looks like the only thing it will do is explode into a thousand pieces upon contact. I can't tell what Tazbot's archetype is, a hammer?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

If it's like the old one, it's a lifter and the head it's mounted to rotates 360 degrees.

Oh yeahhhhhhhh, I vaguely remember that bot now that you mention it.

It sucked

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Free Shipping-Minotaur: You know, I think Free Shipping did well to last as long as it did.

Ribbot-Claw Viper: Claw Viper is a lot of fun this year even without a real weapon. While everyone else in the offseason was going "how can I get my weapon up to 250 mph?" they went "how can I get my drive up to 40 mph?"

Lockjaw-Sawblaze: I thought Lockjaw has some fight left it in if it hadn't gotten high centered. It would have been limping along, but it had a weapon still working and Sawblaze did not, so they might have had a chance.

Blip-Huge: Blip was a lot better at flipping Huge than I thought it would be. I thought all the energy would get absorbed by the wheels and they'd just bend a bit every time they tried a flip, but Blip did manage to throw it around a bit until its weapon got disabled.

I love how excited the Huge team was to get some success out of the gate.

Witch Doctor-Fusion: Hell of a fight! I can't believe they actually got the full concept of Fusion working. I never thought that thing would work. Didn't catch fire, had a hard-hitting weapon going until the very end.

Witch Doctor is so goddamn resilient though. Incredible driving from Mike Galetly as usual, sticking to the plan and finally getting to the side and knocking out the vert.

Definitely came down to which bot was still moving in the last 15 seconds.

Doomba-Double Tap: OK I am annoyed that's not a functioning chainsaw.

Riptide-Madcatter: :lol: that Riptide captain sure can talk some poo poo

Tough call on the Lynx vs. Riptide debate. I can see how one would be inclined to say "well 250 lbs is very different from 3 lbs, so we did have to do a ton of new design work".

I sympathize with the Lynx designer though. It's a pretty loving high barrier of entry to build a 250 lb robot, and I'd be miffed if someone jacked my 3 lb design and I just didn't have the money to build a bigger one. I suspect Madcatter is heavily funded by their college.

Anyway, that eggbeater design sure does work well!

Pretty funny watching the Riptide guy overplay his hand in the post-fight interview and actually annoy Mark Mason.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

the lynx vs riptide thing is clearly a work. eggbeater designs have been in robot combat since like, what, 2001? 2002? its an insane claim

Oh is it? Well now I'm definitely on Riptide's side

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I loved when a big chunk of Blip flew right at Aren Hill and he didn't flinch a bit as it hit the plexiglass in front of him

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Judge's cards on the split decision:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1621332225374711809

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Looks like Aggression was the determining factor, and that tracks with how I saw it. You could make an argument that either of them won that category.

I was surprised to see Fusion get 3-2 damage on all cards, but Fon's card indicates he was tracking damage very specifically.

I can't find the damage scoring rules, but it seems like it's full drive, half drive, or no drive. So even though Fusion is barely capable of movement at the end and Witch Doctor is limping around much better, they are both "half drive", both with weapons out, and pieces of WD all over the box. So I guess, by the book, Fusion is winning the damage category.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They definitely manufacture drama, and of course they have some fake bad guys who are always winking at the camera and behind the scenes all the other builders love them

BUT that Riptide dude does really seem to be a prick. I don't get any "playing for the cameras" off him at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Kind of feel bad that riperoni has to go against End Game in their 2nd fight.

Tantrum going to get some airtime in the main event.

Hijinx-Captain Shred might produce some fun physics. Not sure who I'd pick in that one. I might think about running upside down if I was Hijinx