Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Great Beer posted:

Ripperoni ownseroni. Love the gimmick, love the design, love the reliability.

Yeah, I dunno how far it'll go but goddamn is it entertaining to watch :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Railing Kill posted:

The 30lb Ripperoni had some of the hardest hits at the NHRL event. The 250lb version has some potential.

Yeah it'll be a monster of they can figure out how to consistently direct those hits towards their opponent and not at the battlebox/themselves. Their second hurdle is figuring out how to keep the 'bot fighting and not randomly breakdancing. :v: :slick:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

logikv9 posted:

coming soon to season 9: captain shredderator but it's a vertical spinner instead

How about the top half of a store mannequin on tank treads, holding the spinner like a shield?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chronojam posted:

The lineups they've shown so far have been really really good! I'm aware the whole thing is posted but I didn't look at it yet since it's a little fun to learn the coming fights when each robot makes a debut.

Also I'm guessing there might be changes down the line due to teams dropping out due to technical issues and getting replaced by a benchwarmer team

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Checking out the full season roster and I'm disappointed to see that Rusty 2.0 is back but didn't make the field of 50 competitors. :(

There's some fun robots in there that didn't make the cut. I don't think that Doomba would have gone far but goodamn they would have been fun to watch at least once or twice

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

While not making the top 50. They are reserve bots and should have gotten at least 1 fight during filming. And I guess from what Mike posted above, if a bot has to drop out a reserve bot takes it's place for the rest of the fights. From the schedule that Battlebots posted, there is 5 episodes that currently only have 6 fights between the top 50 teams. With the 1st of them being 2/2.

It'd be great if they held a Desperado tournament episode with all the bots who were at the bottom of the field plus all the reserves

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just schedule a fight featuring a robot like Tombstone or Deep Six at the start of the night and the arena floor will all torn up and forks will be more of a hindrance than a help. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I really appreciate that they're trying a bunch of new things and continually freshening up the format

I think that Jamieson Goh did okay as a guest announcer for a first timer, it's a skill you can really only learn while doing it. It's a sure bet that Will Bales will also get a go at it at some point, I just hope they keep the Mad Catter guy away from the mic as much as possible

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's some fun robots in there that didn't make the cut. I don't think that Doomba would have gone far but goodamn they would have been fun to watch at least once or twice

The chainsaw is just decorative????? :livintrope:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ewe2 posted:

Yeah he's a bit immature and literally not getting with the program.

The hosts always push him to do the screaming thing, that's his onscreen persona now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm already real sick of the producers' choice to hype up the fake antagonism and backstage drama, big props to Jake Ewert for immediately dropping it when they put him on the mic after the bout

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Props to Ripperoni for not taking the lame countout but that could have backfired tremendously

Yeah that was one of the riskiest maneuvers I've ever seen anyone take on this show. :v: It paid off big time though, that huge group cheer they got when they returned to the backstage area was real :unsmith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

In the past, 32 has been a lot of spots to fill so they've let .500 bots or even losing bots in. I feel like I remember this being based on strength of schedule most though.

Last season Hydra and Skorpios were 1-2 in the qualifiers but won their play-in matches and got into the round of 32. Mammoth was also 1-2 but took Glitch's spot in the round of 32 when they dropped out.

In season 10 they had seven teams who were 1-2 make it through to the round of 32 but that included Tombstone, Witch Doctor, Huge, Gruff and Hypershock

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Battlebots Championship VII 2023: Do these wheels make my bott look fat??

PostNouveau posted:

Beta-Shatter: Beta really took it to them there.

It seemed like a super bad idea for Shatter's team to go with forked forks which seem to be designed to hold the opponent at the exact distance where their hammer will hit them on the edge but prevent them from hitting their centre section. Not only did it completely negate their reach advantage but Beta has a massive armoured wedge protecting their sides which they needed to reach past

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 24, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang that was a great episode

PostNouveau posted:

Valkyrie-Malice: :lol: at the synchronized swimming ending.

:v:

PostNouveau posted:

It was ultimately a bad strategic decision for Malice to spin down their weapon. I don't know if they knew about the double KO possibility, but their strategy of spinning the weapon up during the countdown to show function left a whole lot of room for the judges to miss it. I guess it's also possible their weapon was just busted until the last 10 seconds of the fight when it started working again.

Yeah you can see on the original score cards that both Fon and Lisa thought that Malice lost their weapon and gave Valkyrie an extra point for it

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 3, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was also interesting to see that they didn't let the Mad Catter guy anywhere near a mic this episode :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah if by some crazy coincidence it had've worked it would have been one for the history books but :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chronojam posted:

So ultimately I'm glad Skorpios did something stupid and had some fun with things

It almost reminds me of the Hydra vs Huge match where Hydra's flipper couldn't even reach Huge's chassis so they went "gently caress it, cow catcher attachment" except Jake Ewert is the designated villain so he just ended up looking like a buzzkill meanie

E: I guess they also had fake drama with the commentators building up the angle "The fans have been calling for this fight for years!!" and afterwards going "We never got the mirror fight we wanted, team Skorpios refused to give the fans what the wanted!"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 4, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tunicate posted:

there's only one bot that can precisely snipe a vital chain using an overhead weapon, and Awakened Chomp isn't in this season.

Someone please photoshop the Overkill buster sword onto Chomp TYIA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah dang I hope people weren't flaming them too hard, that sucks. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Apparently the Captain Shredderator team were very pissed at the Riptide guy after the competition. Interested to see what this is about. Maybe a match controversy or an Ethan Kurtz making an rear end of himself controversy.

Oh poo poo, :siren: drama incoming :siren:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah with that one tbh if it were me I wouldn't have stopped either. It's still moving and they didn't start a countdown, and it was really only a matter of seconds.

Queering Wheel posted:

tbh Riptide was probably doing them a favor considering Shrederator sucks rear end and they should try a new bot already

I dunno, I was expecting Riptide to get in free shots during the countdown or something. That seemed like a normal level of violence to me

Agreed on all these. Team Riptide didn't do anything wrong inside the box (even though they acted a bit obnoxious outside the box), Team Shred were sore losers.

E: edited for clarity

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 10, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They should have a big red button which says APPEAL ALARM between the two teams when they do the post-match interviews so the losing team can smack the button and set off sirens and flashing lights, make a real show of it

Anything would be better than having the team captain get all redfaced and stammer about it awkwardly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
StarChild is such a bizarrely ineffective design. It's basically a full body hammer saw which has almost no power in the 'hammer' function and very little power in the 'saw' aspect, has a really hard time lining up a strike, is really slow to reset for another strike, and most of the time it just plain misses. There's no benefit to any of the 'innovations' they introduced to the design, just down sides.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it's pretty funny that team Shrederator are still super salty about their previous loss to Riptide. :v:

Shred's career win/loss ratio currently stands at 7:18, it feels like they've been coasting off their win over Tombstone for a long time (and that was pretty much because they were a defacto wedgebot in that fight and won by continually getting under Tombstone and causing it to damage itself) and have never really been a serious contender.

The team's first full body spinner Phrizbee (aka Shrederator, aka The Revolutionist) had a much better track record with a 7:4 win/loss ration but that was way back in the Comedy Central days of the early 00s, it feels like the BattleBots meta continued moving forwards but Shrederator kept clinging to their glory days of 20 years ago and couldn't evolve to keep up with the field

Of course bots like Tombstone also refused to evolve with the field but they're a Giant Nut winner with a 25:10 win/loss ratio and even though the meta is starting to move beyond them they're still highly effective

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Someone should buy a Boston Dynamics SpotŪ and bolt Captain Shrederator on top of it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ray Billings is also planning on attending RoboGames with his new middleweight bot Mortician. Good to see him back in the driver's seat. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VONvFITeO0

Note that he's usually wearing safety gloves throughout the video when he's working on the bot but at one point he's using an angle grinder and takes his gloves off halfway through and forgets to put them back on. C'mon man :doh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I always have a little chuckle during the opening credits when they show the Colosseum at Caesar's Palace as if that's where the BB event is being held when that's obviously not true but I only just got around to checking the actual address on Google maps and it's not all that far away

Right around the corner ..... at the exact spot where Tupac was shot and killed. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I gotta say that even though StarChild was completely ineffective that was still a massively entertaining fight, which I guess is the best we could expect from the current iteration of StarChild. It can't fight for poo poo but it dies real good. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Same here, I'm going to be chanting SLOBBERKNOCKER at my screen

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My bracket prediction: Lucky can't repair their bot in time for the first round and forfeit their spot to a surprise sub: Tombstone!! Tombstones goes through to the finals where it face off against Cobalt but both bots are so wrecked they can barely crabwalk at each other, and Tombstone wins via split judges' decision.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Riptide needs to not only lose, but be left in many pieces.

It's funny how the thread went from "Oh the Captain Shrederator team are just poor losers, the Riptide kid is just exuberant :buddy:" to "For the love of god someone please destroy Riptide :argh:"
:v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

The new driver has yet to master the Billings Maneuver where he hits them tempts them with the butt and then pivots the blade into their side.

I winder if Claw Viper would be fast enough to actually grab Tombstone by the butt before Ray could spin around and whack them

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Uggggggh this bullshit manufactured drama is the worst

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Esoter1c posted:

and I hope dearly that they get taken down a notch.

Yeah they're definitely cruising for a bruising, dunno if Hypershock will be up to the challenge but I'm counting on End Game to get it done

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang that was a good episode

LOL at the in memoriam segment at the end :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: a feature story on the Riptide poo poo from last week. Battlebots loves controversy.

Reflecting on this, they gave the Shatter captain a good long turn on the mic last week so this segment felt like they were giving the Riptide captain his right of reply. LOL that he just made himself look like an even bigger rear end in a top hat

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Give some of the great bots that aren't quite all the way there time to shine. I'm sure they'll have excellent fights without the top-tier teams in it.

It'd be a great way to include some of the better tryout bots in an actual comp as well, hopefully a few of those get a spot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chronojam posted:

Dude loves what he does, loves the existence of the sport, and his family members actively make and sell parts designed to make better robots for everybody plus take contact work to build frames etc on their heavy machinery iirc

BattleBots competition has way more in common with Great British Bake-off than a usual sports tournament. Team Riptide doesn't realize this, so they come off as jerks. In contrast, Ray Billings can gently caress up tons of robots but everybody's gonna cheer when he shows up.

Yeah it's this, Jake and Ray might play "villains" on screen and the producers love to play up that angle but you can tell that they're really well liked and respected back in the pits.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That was an amazing finale, congratz to MikeNCR and everyone else behind the scenes for making it all possible

Considering how well Endgame and Sawblaze have done these last few years I'm wondering if the new winning meta is teams who do meticulous research & planning against their opponents for every fight

The ending clip where Copperhead got a hero's welcome after beating Riptide was big lol

LOL yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Glumslinger posted:

Except for the Hydra/Ribbot fight. I was yelling at my TV to force them to restart the match and actually fight the second time around

Honestly I think that was the best tactic for defeating Hydra, Jake always sits in the middle of the box and waits for his opponent to make a mistake and using the same ploy against him at least gives you 50/50 odds even if it's boring to watch. Trying to run circles around him never works out for anyone and they always get bored and decide to boxrush him which inevitably starts the flipathon.

Ever since the meta turned into "whoever wins the ground game wins the match" this was always going to be the inevitable conclusion: two bots with either insanely low skirts or insanely long forks just constantly feeling each other out. If anything I'm surprised we haven't seen it happen more often.