Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

just found that season 3 is on netflix here so that's fun. the spinner meta isn't as fun though

edit: okay nevermind. duck v free shipping v mecha rampage was a great fight

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Borsche69 posted:

I'm really glad Tombstone won a tournament when he had the chance because I just cannot see it happening again lol

please tell me that isn't a spoiler for a tournament that I'm pretty sure is years old!

pretty big fan of battle royale with cheese v tantrum. two teams out there to have some fun together with bots that I don't think will go very far at all

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Borsche69 posted:

oh pff my wording could've been better. i saw him say he's watching season 3. so i assumed he saw season 2 (which, along with 1, was back on ABC instead of discovery), which is a season tombstone won lol.

i'm just now realizing the ABC seasons probably have some weird licensing so they probably aren't on netflix (i'm pretty sure they're not on discovery+), although iirc every fight from those seasons are on youtube.

anyway all this is to say, no, this isn't spoiling season 3. just season 2, which i apologize for

I saw a bit of season 1 and 2, but I don't know where I can find new episodes and stuff anymore. binging through episode 8/9 now. they go a lot quicker when cutting out nearly all of the talking. Nice that there are 5 fights per episode now

witch doctor v blacksmith was a wild fight

the hamburger team looked like they wanted to have fun. shame their weapon never got working.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Discovery Plus has seasons 3-8. Season 1 & 2 aired on ABC, and I'm not sure where they are available to stream. As a bonus to discovery plus, they put the new episodes up early Thursday morning, before the show actually airs on Discovery.

looks like discovery plus doesn't have it here :(

I'll find other ways to watch it I guess

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

cool. worth having a look.

duck got robbed having to go into the 6-way to make the tournament

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm watching what I think is tournament 7 (season 8?) ____tantrum____ is the defending champion from the tournament before it

This mad catter guy constantly cutting terrible wrestling promos is pretty funny.

I like the doomba team. The captain just keeps talking about having fun :) Their chainsaw being purely a prop made me burst out laughing

ok the opening of end game v ripperoni in episode 6 is amazing.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 6, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

rarbatrol posted:

I'd say that the napkin math of how a battlebot does its thing can be scaled up (weapon style, overall geometry, drive arrangement), but the actual engineering is going to have to change a ton with the higher amount of energy involved. Way more force, speed, current, and so on... The team behind minotaur has a book and scaling up/down has its own section, IIRC.

I was wondering this with robots like gigabyte. given ziggo went far enough to win a lightweight championship back in the day does scaling up to 250 lbs mess with the forces that much?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

emulsifier v quantum had a good chuckle at chris' comment about his recurring dream

shreddit bro got their second win :smith: I like overhaul and shreddit bro but I feel like neither robot is ever going to win big

pizza v copperhead that was some real weird driving there, well done by the pizza to get in behind. nice to see a team that leans hard into their theme going big like that

I don't really like team whyachi robots but drat if reese doesn't have a hilarious immensely dry sense of humour

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Blip glitch and tantrum stand a good shot, even if I don't like glitch.

Would love to se free shipping sneak in. I don't think it's a great robot but drat if Gary gin doesn't drive that thing like a maniac

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

what's with the little stick off the front of valkyrie?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

shreddit bro :sadsmith:

Q2 looks wild but that ripperoni black dragon matchup is a harsh one for both teams

I was laughing at slammo and double tap being so boring that they started doing the side by side preview of the rest of the season

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 28, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bring back the 15 bot rumble for all weight classes

I hope riptide lose, they are a very unlikable team, though I understand under the new rules why they had a few extra shots on gigabyte.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ripperoni - black dragon is still the saddest matchup to me. I really like both those teams.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

lmao I'm catching up with last week's episode and lol at riptide breaking parc fermé rules. Shatter I have no doubts is about to get wrecked but drat the riptide team is unlikable.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's interesting because in reality Battlebots hasn't shown anything that terrible with Team Riptide and Ethan, several relatively minor drama moments. So I don't think we can really blame them that much for the hatred the team is getting from Reddit and other places.

A lot of the dislike from Team Riptide has been dug up by the redditers and not really Battlebots fault. Without the team being funded by the Dad's snake oil Autism cure, I'm not sure the hate for Riptide would be as much. They would just be cocky assholes that back it up in the box, which is natural to dislike.

I knew nothing about the snake oil thing (which i only know as much as in the past 2 pages) and still think they're terrible. The captain is an incredible dickhead. The post fight stuff about shatter's paranoia was a big heel move

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 9, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Black Dragon v Ripperoni as a matchup makes me sad. I like both of these teams.

holy lmao what a fight. 2 minutes in and the fight felt like it went way longer. The brazilians were so happy :unsmith:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reflecting on this, they gave the Shatter captain a good long turn on the mic last week so this segment felt like they were giving the Riptide captain his right of reply. LOL that he just made himself look like an even bigger rear end in a top hat

he can't help himself, just totally unlikable

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 12, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

It's annoying because if they'd settle down and the editors just backed off it'd be perfectly fine outside the guy's shithead dad, but here we are apparently

But yeah that's one for the record books lmao, maybe don't Tokyo Drift into the juggernaut

I knew nothing about his shithead dad before like 2 weeks ago and still think he acts like a huge dick

Jamison go seems like a really nice dude, and it was really sweet to see some tears of happiness from the winning teams this week

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How much time is there between fights normally? I assume during the regular season there's a few days because of so many fights but as they get towards the playoffs how much time do they get? Do they fill the rest of the card with a bunch of fights we don't see?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

some really good quarterfinal fights

minotaur v sawblaze was solid as heck. big fan of the sawblaze team, and it was wild to see minotaur burning for most of that fight

hydra v ribbot was a good tactical fight. watching them shuffle gently in front of each other then one good attack being all it took was fun.

copperhead v riptide wild poo poo. i think copperhead did enough to win that, hopefully they can get things fixed. Seeing riptide's weapon break was impressive. Nice to see riptide is still sore about "adversity", I hope they gently caress off and learn some humility in the off season

oh they did end up appealing. I get it because it's knockout and there's nothing to lose but gently caress off riptide

semifinals

lmao the opening ballet of death of ribbot and sawblaze ruled. fighting in the fog must've been awful for the drivers

Not sure how any vertical spinner fights huge.

really happy for this final. Both huge and sawblaze seem like really good friendly teams. will be interesting to see how sawblaze handles the giant wheels.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 26, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that was a great final. both teams went out and had fun. i liked jonathan's point about how they seem to fight more gimmicks than regular bots.

fight of they year for me still feels like it's black dragon v ripperoni

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I thought the kid did a fine job of driving riptide. If their appeal really included "our main rear end in a top hat wasn't driving" then they're no better than "on paper we should've won"

I'm happy it's Jamison go who figured out huge (besides horizontal spinners). He seems like a guy who really loves and is enthusiastic with everyone about analysing and picking apart matchups/strengths/weaknesses.

Both the teams in the final were great. Wasn't it one of sawblaze's team members who was crying over a win because he was so happy his system worked?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Adapting is part of the sport though. Your idea would save teams like beta from themselves I guess

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Im catching up on the golden bolt qualifier episodes and drat the last bracket is packed with good matches.

edit: I hadn't seen the hypershock ripperoni fight yet. what a weird tense crab battle

gary gin tearing up during his post fight with endgame rules. gary is a drat gem. full send all the time

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I suspect it's hard to make fire more viable at a heavier weight as there's less stuff to melt on bots because more of the weight is metal armor?