Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The Vegas stage show is interesting in a lot of ways. One of the biggest limitations for most teams is the difficulty in testing and practicing. These teams are going to be getting a whole lot more driving and fighting time than most others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Gary Jin is the most relatable person on the show.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Girthy 6

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Late to the conversation here, but I think starchild's problem was the plastic piece they have on there to keep the weapon from hitting the floor. It kept hitting overhaul with that instead of the spinner.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

That Bot I would say does not look much like Riptide or Lynx. Egg beaters are common, I don't know about the specific geometry of these two.

Honestly the biggest surprise for me is that a Bot named Emulsifier wasn't an egg beater.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Gotta love the Triton and Copperhead teams waiting at the judges decision, having to pretend they don't know what's coming.

Triton basically managed to pull the opposite of Tombstone's maneuver there, didn't they?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Mammoth getting the same the type of fight with both Huge and Starchild is kinda wild.

Need an actual physicist to explain it

I assume it's the angles of attack involved. Both Mammoth and Huge/Starchild are built to fight bots much smaller than them, and part of that involves an expectation of where in their weapons' respective arcs they'll see an impact, with the energy being dissipated in a direction they're compensating for. Add in the fact that they all make use of that weird plastic to make a bot of that size feasible within the weight limit.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Big ups to Huge for shutting down the drama-sniffing.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

There are some jobber bots I like and some jobber bots I don't care about. I like hijinx, but it might be more the aesthetic and the team. Jen Herchenroeder is the most fun as a captain.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Gotta love Ripperoni almost sending themselves into another pinwheeling frenzy doing a victory dance.

Lots of really good fights this episode, I'm always hoping to see a flamethrower loving explode!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

apatheticman posted:

I just wanted to lay the groundwork for a Jamison Go gently caress yourself joke
Jamison Go gently caress yourself to the polls, this november!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

Apparently the Captain Shredderator team were very pissed at the Riptide guy after the competition. Interested to see what this is about. Maybe a match controversy or an Ethan Kurtz making an rear end of himself controversy.

I have a high tolerance for drama, but I really hope the show doesn't spend a lot of time on the MAGA chud vs the autism/vax grifter

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Some real issues at the moment in scaling up their design, yes. I dunno what sort of power its spinner has because I'm not sure if they've ever really landed a hit. Their biggest setback seems to be getting the right amount of traction to line up a good thwack, which I guess could be an issue of materials? Could they possibly line those wheels with magnets or some poo poo like that?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Aside from the highly effective bit...

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Anyone who thinks Shreddit Bro is just Pain Train again is not paying attention. Shreddit Bro may have a lot more ground still to gain, but they're a VAST improvement over that team's last robot.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I'm really hoping we start a trend towards a speed meta. Quantum, Claw Viper, (Hypershock when Bales remembers to drive right) etc are giving us exciting and unrelenting fights.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Which is also how riptide flipped itself over in that clip, not gyro forces. Its weapon hit the floor.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Grant Imahara's Giant Nut.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

If anything he was probably helped by the weapon breaking, right? Since losing all that gyro makes it handle a lot more like a normal RC car? Not that he seemed to be having much trouble before then, that kid rose to the occasion. Hopefully he finds a future in the sport without team douchechill.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I wonder how much help that would really be, anyway. These are very different bots, designed to fit within a budget and be easily repaired. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were a little nerfed or tuned down to provide more of a show. A Battlebots tournament Witch Doctor would probably wipe the floor with a Destructathon Witch Doctor.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Huh, can a flying robot properly take advantage of the no-wheels weight bonus? Or do they have to keep the load light enough that it doesn't matter?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I want speed bumps. Smash the ground meta completely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

dwarf74 posted:

**CLARIFY “ACTIVE WEAPON” DEFINITION**
For a weapon to be active, it must be independently operated from the drive system of the robot, and clearly be designed to influence the opposing robot. NHRL safety inspectors will determine whether a weapon is an active weapon as part of the safety inspection process.

Did they mean to ban Meltybrain bots? Because I feel like that's happened.