Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

WD
Quantum
Gruff
Huge
Riptide
Gigabyte
Tantrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Y'all are talking like Battlebots isn't owned by a traditional television broadcasting company.

Norwalk isn't competition per se, but YouTube, where their videos are hosted, is

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Can't wait for Hydra to win a judge's decision and Rotator dude to throw another hissy fit

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
They need a higher speed camera for the replays
Bloodsport just dissolves in a shower of sparks in like, two frames

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Great Beer posted:

That IS on a high speed camera. poo poo happens fast in the BattleBox.

h i g h e r

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It might have been slightly higher speed, but yeah, compare to Witch Doctor's legitimately high speed stuff, where you can see the whole frame wobbling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaCuKa_efyY&t=81s

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It totally depends on the strategy you go with. I'm sure there are plenty of 480FPS cameras that are capable of three minutes of footage.

For the ultra high speed stuff, they can shoot continuously, and then when something exciting happens, you hit a button and it saves the last few seconds of footage it shot.

Yes, this does mean one angle and one person, to capture a 3 second event that happens maybe every third fight. Still might be worth it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's beautiful, seeing them in their natural environment

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
But you see he wears glittery robes (like judge Derek did in early seasons) and whines a lot about judging (without being entertaining like Hydra Jake) and also isn't very good

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

I would appreciate it if they'd tone down the drama where they can for the teams' sakes. Apparently, the Minotaur-Witch Doctor match last year actually generated loving death threats for Team Witch Doctor, and the Tantrum-Hydra match caused a lot of harassment for Team Tantrum, and Lisa Winter gets a fair amount of harassment in general, and I think you can see the pattern here.

But whatever this is sounds like it's unavoidably going to be dramatic. Also it involves only dudes so unless it's a controversial judging decision, it probably will mysteriously not result in harassment of the teams.

:smith:

I agree with this assessment

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
yes, two weeks off

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Calling it now, Rotator is going to appeal after they lose the judge's decision.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think sawblaze is super easy to get under, and after that it doesn't matter.

The question is whether or not they can gently caress up Hydra's body panels or flipper arm tip first

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Will Bales continually being an incredible driver - dodging out of the way, and then drifting around to face them from the side

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Barely a mention of Whiplash outside of his fights so I doubt he gets in. Which is a tragedy, he's having a rough time with the switch to brushless. I like that team and he's one of the top five drivers for sure, considering how well he does without a real weapon, usually.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That's a pretty insane growth.

Hopefully that means more regionals spread to the west

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
A big portion of new bots are the same few kits now, it seems. The announcers are usually good about mentioning it during the match

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's funny how the thread went from "Oh the Captain Shrederator team are just poor losers, the Riptide kid is just exuberant :buddy:" to "For the love of god someone please destroy Riptide :argh:"
:v:

No one was defending Riptide, everyone thought he was a dick from the get-go

ante fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 30, 2023

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
With an upward spinning vert, all of the energy from the hit recipient gets directed into the ground, throwing them up in the air and minimal force directed back into the aggressor's frame.

If they're upside down, then they're sending all of their force through a small part of the defender's frame, and the floor, while throwing the attacker up in the air because there's nothing to brace against.

Newton, man

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Quantum, of course

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, they seem excited about the counterbalance flywheel design, it seems to have legs.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
A big thing is that all of the bots are so much more reliable now.

The first bunch of seasons, there was a great chance that one of the bots would just stop working, mid--match. Duck's whole thing being to break their fist on its face, and that worked, quite well, at that time.

All of the best teams have it so dialed in, now, they can bounce off the ceiling and still keep working (until they lose the last of their wheels).

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Holy fuuuuck

Easily one of the best episodes of the whole series.

That final:

Jameo is probably the best one in the field to figure out a breaking meta for a Huge that actually finally works. Just about everyone has always relied on the fact that Huge just hasn't been very good, so they've kinda ignored creative counters (other than cowcatcher)

ante fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 25, 2023

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It did still look like a close fight, that was totally worth an appeal.

They;re totally losers though lol

Huge was super classy about not appealing. Not a close fight though, they got rocked.

ante fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 26, 2023

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Also, about Sawblaze:

Of three fights, he managed to take out two batteries, and the only exposed vulnerability on the third.

That's after he talked about taking out Minotaur's batteries the previous fight, and knowing exactly where they are.

I'm beginning to think this guy knows what he's doing, and can actually target stuff

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
They said that some Vegas personalities are pretending to drive, but they have an actual staff driver off to the side.

Sooooo you might be right

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
A rake maybe

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'd imagine the hosts are SAG, yeah

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Borsche69 posted:

if/when the strike might be ending.

Rumour has it that there is some motivation to end it in the next week or two, buuut if that doesn't happen, the shooting schedule before Christmas shutdown is hosed anyway so there's no reason to end it before it December

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Definitely none of those matches were lost by poor driving, but it still wasn't great. She almost got hung up on the upper deck dismount, for example.

Will really is a great driver, it would be hard to compare.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think previous seasons were pretty cagey about names and just said "regional competitions". I'd assume due to guidelines about pumping the "competition" from the studios. Remember that it's an entertainment television show.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

Tantrum-Sawblaze: Tegris armor is an interesting idea. I wouldn't think it would work, but what do I know?

Go eventually got through it, but it took a lot more shots than I thought it would.

:lol: what a dumb ending. I hope Sawblaze survived that because Tantrum is going to get taken the gently caress apart by End Game, that'll be no final at all.

I don't think I can recall a "saved by the bell" fight in Battlebots before. It definitely looked like like the ref was a bit behind the clock on the countdown.

Did they remove appeals from the ruleset for the Golden Bolt? 2 split decisions and no mention of them.

According to Tantrum, they did appeal, but I guess it got cut out of filming because it's not interesting or relevant or doesn't tie into their TV narrative.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

is pepsi ok posted:

The "if this happened in a restaurant" part seems especially ridiculous. It didn't happen at a restaurant, it happened at a professional sporting event. Coaches and players yelling at officials about calls they don't like is a standard thing that happens in every sport, and in any other sport it would be unconscionable to DQ an entire team before the finals because one person got heated.

Nah, I've been part of hackspaces, which have similar demographics and culture to these events, I'd imagine.

It's not a sports game*, it's a bunch of sweaty nerds, and you gotta stamp out lovely behaviour quick, or it'll gently caress up your culture. There's no winning for the administration that has to do the banning, either. It invariably leads to butthurt and conspiracy theories as we've already seen in this thread. But it's the least bad option, and you'll lose a lot more really good people if you don't.

"why do you think that's acceptable in sports games too? Just because it's the status quo doesn't mean it should be okay

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

is pepsi ok posted:

Because it's an inherent part of competition. Like I'm sorry but the notion that nearly every sport has a hosed up culture because competitive people get heated is just silly.

Edit: or I guess you can just DQ any team that has someone get emotional and see what kind of culture that gets you

Are you minimising threats of physical violence lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There was an analysis I read two or three seasons ago that basically said there was one documented case of fire making a difference, ever. That might have gone up a little, since.

But, the most vulnerable thing is the motor speed controllers. Apparently teams are packing them full of dry ice right before the matches. You'd need to hold a torch like, right on the dry ice for a full three minutes to do anything to it.

Flamethrowers are a gimmick. A fun one, though.