Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This season, based on everything I've heard, is one I'm most excited for. The rules and decisions continue to drift in good directions! A bigger field and more episodes for the show is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The lineups they've shown so far have been really really good! I'm aware the whole thing is posted but I didn't look at it yet since it's a little fun to learn the coming fights when each robot makes a debut.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

What the hell, Whiplash?

Tunicate posted:

The thermal cam was a nice addition

It would be nice to see more of that. The prefight voting is also neat. It's just cool to see them try different things to mix it up, so I'm not bothered by e.g. the Sawblaze captain being pulled into the announcer seat, either.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Looking forward to seeing this Triton monstrosity

Going to have amazing failure states

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Didn't Blip lose a fight because of some stupid vertical black tusks they added? I seem to remember they couldn't get the opponent onto their flipper since they installed things to block it from happening, inexplicably.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I don't mind that kind of mirror match. Captain Shred versus Gigabyte isn't terrible to see. For the control bot matchup for Clawviper vs Overhaul though, it's pretty clear that one team really has the gimmick dialed in. With the Skorpios match though, Sawblaze is really, really dialed in and particularly lethal.

So ultimately I'm glad Skorpios did something stupid and had some fun with things with the potential for a Chomp-vs-Biteforce golden BB shot. I would hope that Triton would try to pull some crazy bullshit instead of just exploding in five seconds if they were against Tombstone.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I love high-center minibots and shufflers, an opinion I've had forever. More weight bonuses for silly engineering!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

TomR posted:

Maybe even the teams competing don't understand the judging matrix! :v:

I think this season they've done a fantastic job explaining and restating the rules throughout the process. It's probably the best one ever from a "making sure you know how this works" perspective.

Lots of good upgrades like that versus previous seasons. The guest commentators are fun, hosts are not afraid to say NHRL on camera, the appeals system is a good idea, the floor seems more consistent, damage to the BattleBots sign seems more frequent. Feels like they've had more "let's check the damage" post-fight snippets in the tent although I could happily dig into much more of that. Four fights, pre-revealed cards, and guest novelty designs are also quality additions to the recipe.

The little team skits like with PIZZA are also fun!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bertha the Toaster posted:

As a Brit that doesn't follow sport I had to google "March Madness" because I had no idea what it was.

It's two weeks in March where you're mad about the schedule being interrupted

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I dunno, I can only see three of them being a sure thing. The others could go either way.

Fwiw it's fun to see nail biter matches and also fun to see a robot get totally wrecked, so I'm cool with ones that aren't much of a contest, anyhow.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Slyphic posted:

Simultaneous KOs aren't that rare. Could totally see overhaul getting sucked into the backside of the bar, becoming stuck while simultaneously high centering shredbro.

I'm still a little surprised they let Pain-Train-with-the-numbers-filed-off have a third try. They seem to be having the same kinds of problems as before, like they've improved nothing.

They do well at NHRL, scaling up seems to be their struggle.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Slyphic posted:

Makes me wonder...

If you made a list of all 'scaled up' bots, how many of them actually worked?

Some have worked in the general sense of not falling apart and being able to give/take hits (SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE) and others have worked very competitively (Sawblaze). Strategy can be very different between bigger arenas and smaller ones, especially since some small ones use pit hazards.

Tombstone has different sizes, including a bigger version than the current 250lb iirc. It's just an elegant, brutalist design.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Valkyrie is doing worse for the same reason the pizza bot is doing well, isn't that the old driver behind the moustache?

I'd be interested to see team Whiplash run something like Terrortops as an alternate instead of whatever Defender was supposed to be. They'd be playing with adjustable forks, standoff lifter, and an entirely independent spinner. With their design/hardware chops and driving skill it feels like a real good fit.

Hell just let them guest-drive.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I remember stumbling across Riptide being first built and tested on YouTube a while ago, and being interested to see the team move forward with getting accepted.

Now, I'm interested in seeing them getting shredded :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

poo poo you've got me there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Oh I didn't notice the weapon spin-up at the end at all. The judging rubric IIRC is very much like "Is weapon down? Is weapon damaged but working? Is drive totally down? Is drive damaged but working?" It might have been 6-5s with Minotaur winning damage and control and WD winning aggression, but I felt like Minotaur had a lot more significant charges in the beginning than WD did at the end. WD definitely had enough control to not go 0-3 because they got to dictate a lot of the end of the fight when Minotaur was really limping around.

They usually tweet the scorecards for split decisions, but I bet they'll tweet them on this one as well.

I could've sworn that somebody on the Witch Doctor team asked their operators to attempt to do the same, but found they really couldn't, at the end of the match. Maybe I misheard the exchange.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

ante posted:

No was defending Riptide, everyone thought he was a dick from the get-go

I enjoyed a promising new rookie team but, yeah.

Although I've never liked Captain Confederator :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

So are they going to build a self-righting mechanism next time, or just practice throwing themselves against the wall more?

Either way they're the bot to watch.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Didn't they used to have a self righter?

They had a rake mount that was strong enough to flip them

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

Also: I am starting to "get" Jake Ewart

Dude loves what he does, loves the existence of the sport, and his family members actively make and sell parts designed to make better robots for everybody plus take contact work to build frames etc on their heavy machinery iirc

BattleBots competition has way more in common with Great British Bake-off than a usual sports tournament. Team Riptide doesn't realize this, so they come off as jerks. In contrast, Ray Billings can gently caress up tons of robots but everybody's gonna cheer when he shows up.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Best episode of the best season, with the best final.

Really enjoyed the vintage clip of Warhead breakdancing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

https://youtu.be/wQ_N8X0NqTs

Discussion panel with several of the builders, hosted by the bot whisperer himself, with a good amount of nhrl chat

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Looking forward to operational footage

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Suddenly all my YouTube recommendations are barbecue tips

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Borsche69 posted:

Crushers are the only one that seems to be close in terms of damage effectiveness, but they're difficult to make and they're still unfortunately slow. Quantum is basically the only effective one atm but its a glimpse at the potential of the weapon design. It's just unfortunately going to be hard countered by either horizontals or anything that can beat its ground game.

Clawviper isn't quite a crusher but it's fast as gently caress and if it were a crusher, it would be pretty bonkers. I guess I want to see a stupid fast crusher!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

:hmmyes: You've got a point. It's one of my breakout favorites for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Hoping for a giant fuckin' spinner in the middle of the bottom so the control bots will be able to wreck your poo poo with that, or a comedy option hydraulic catapult built into the floor