Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

that is an incredibly lame statement imo but I guess I'm glad he acknowledged it.

Justin Madubuike was called on a loving terrible one, too. I'm not sure how DL are supposed to sack a QB when they get called for flags every time because it "looks bad" to the ref.

I hated that call too because Madubuike did the exact opposite of driving the QB into the turf. He fell in a way that made sure that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Real glad to see Huntley is playing Sunday. Without him there was little hope

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Wait a minute. The Ravens play..TODAY!?!? WHAT THE HELL

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

https://twitter.com/sgellison/status/1604943297444716554

The thing about Harbaugh is the more you poo poo on one of his coaches, the more likely he is to keep him

That's why the sacrifice this year must be Harbaugh.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

who's your replacement?

Ken Dorsey(preferred) or Shane Steichen from the Eagles.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I think Harbs is a good coach who has kept the team competitive for a long time, but Shane Steichen would be a drat compelling hire

Everyone has their expiration date. And however good someone thinks Harbaugh was in the past, if he is sticking by Greg Roman while he's wasting the career and possibly driving away the most talented player this organization has ever seen, then that date has come.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

The Ravens had the #1 and #11 offenses in 2019-2020. The cracks started to show last season and completely broke once they lost Bateman this year.

We were showing the exact same problems already with Bateman in. Though he certainly would have remedied things slightly. Offense disappearing in the 2nd half of the Bills game, and end of the Dolphins game.

No his tenure wasn't a disaster but a big part of that was that he was lucky to inherit a pretty good team which like 90% of coaches don't get to do. The 2007 debacle that got Billick canned was a mix of injuries and the team just having enough of Billick's schtick. So the 2008 team was a lot closer to the 2006 level of performance than the 2007 one.

edit: That is really sad to hear about Jalen Hurts. What a miserable thing to happen to a guy having such a monster of a year. These injuries are by far my most hated part of football.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

one of these times when they can afford it, the ravens need to trade up and draft an elite wr who is already complete. the kind of guy who is expected by all to be a top 5 pick. that way they can't frig him up. back me up on this one K

The problem is it can be hard to know who that is. Yeah there are Randy Mosses and Jamar Chases and Justin Jeffersons out there who can come right in and be dominant, maybe even on the Ravens. But most guys out there you put on the Ravens and they will flounder and deteriorate.

Not every top 5 guy is one of those guys. Some of those guys flounder too. And it can be impossible to tell if someone who was good one place might have been bad if they went somewhere else. Especially if that somewhere else was the Ravens who knows what might have happened. Maybe if it's a Calvin Johnson. But who would trade away a chance at him?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That's the exact kind of stupidity that kept us from possibly winning the 2019 playoff game against the Titans. "Well they're up, so we have to throw it 100 times instead of doing what we do best even though there's tons of time left and we can score pretty quick even with a ground-based attack". Absolute idiocy

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Harbaugh has to get us to the AFCCG at this point for me to even consider keeping him as something we should do.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

it needs to be a surefire top 5 pick and then it won't miss. i'm talking about julio, green, chase, cooper, justin blackmon or corey whatever from the titans. any of those guys. big hit

Charles Rogers was the 2nd overall pick in 2003 and a bust. Keyshawn Johnson was the #1 overall pick but never lived up to that billing.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

larry fitzgerald, calvin johnson. wes chandler. not even #1 picks. easily could be bought.

And even guys who are great could have issues with the way the Ravens run a passing game. Really this has been a problem for over two decades now. But more people notice because Lamar turned everyone's heads toward the Ravens passing game whereas in the past everyone would just be like "they're not good I guess" and move on. In 2010 TJ Houshmandzadeh got in hot water with the team for outwardly complaining about how poorly the passing game was run here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I'd noticed he wasn't quite as good on returns. Makes sense something was up.