Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

fuckin bleak :smith:

e: speaking of bleak how about that :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what a dumb rear end

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

dying of exposure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

he should have stuck something malicious in there and owned all the dumbasses who use github as a cdn

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
corncob-js

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
There is a spectre haunting open source--the spectre of YOSPOS

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i’d download it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

making the best JavaScript polyfill library has to be the least satisfying side project. but there are always people who will do it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

making the best JavaScript polyfill library has to be the least satisfying side project. but there are always people who will do it

these people are known in the trade as "marks" or "suckers"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i stopped caring about polyfills once we stopped pretending ie or Firefox mattered

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

i stopped caring about polyfills once we stopped pretending ie or Firefox mattered

ok but thats hardly the point

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

akadajet posted:

not even a side project, 250 hours per month means this guy was working 60 hour weeks for free

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
nopen source

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

not even a side project, 250 hours per month means this guy was working 60 hour weeks for free

not free. he got $2 an hour worth of donations

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I wish I could care about the thing I'm paid to do as much as this guy cares about the thing he is not paid to do

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

akadajet posted:

what a dumb rear end

Yep.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I gotta support my wife and kid. I know what'll pay the bills: giving all my work away for free.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and moving to Russia

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i think laughing at this guy is partially ok but also I think we have to acknowledge that he's a victim of the kind of culture that we all have allowed to flourish. Yes, the dude made some dumb choices but i think the cultural attitude that open source is some form of higher calling is also at fault here.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think that guy has some untreated mental health issues on top, while the cultural pressures are real the entire thing reads very unhinged.

e: like, he went to prison, came out with huge legal debt, decided that was the time to do his open-source thing as double-full-time.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 14, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you've got it backwards
first he quit his job and moved back to russia to work fulltime on open source for free
then he went to prison because he was poor (due to working for free) and couldn't pay the cash settlement to the family in the car crash
now he can't leave russia to get a figgieland job again because of his unpaid debts

semi happy ending though in that he has finally decided to stop working for free and is going to value his own time.

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022
I think he’s getting way more hate than he actually deserves. Death threats are never OK, and some people are loving maniacs when interacting with other people.

But I can’t shake the feeling that if you’re making one of the most used JavaScript (lol) libraries and you fail to capitalize on that, you’re doing something very wrong.
I mean yeah he tried with the whole begging/nagging message, but try and be a little more creative than that?

Offer your CLI as advertising space and hit the users with BARRY’S RED COLA and see the moola rolling in.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
blaming the person for the prevailing norms they haven't had much choice but to operate under is a little strange

he has more leverage now than at any point to effect some positive changes and frankly i hope he makes bank. or breaks a bunch of poo poo. either way, positive progress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone gave him 22k

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
no one seems to be talking at length about the two teenage girls he ran over

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

for one, I think if you get enough library downloads, this should still be an issue

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk man do we know what these teenagers did?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RokosCockatrice posted:

no one seems to be talking at length about the two teenage girls he ran over

eh, there's not that much to be said about it, we're pretty consistently calling him an idiot for all his choices anyway.

don't donate to developers of drab system libraries whether or not they run anyone over.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 15, 2023

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

It seems weird to call these people entitled when they’re working on side projects for free, but the trend of e-begging for being paid for their open source work is exactly that - I also wish I could get paid to work on stuff I care about in the exact way I want instead of being paid for my real job of working on something i don’t really care about. In fact, I’d say most people would prefer it. Open source is fine when you’re just doing it as a side thing for the love of it with no higher expectations for either yourself or others that use your work. Don’t make it your baby and be ready to not put in life-ruining amounts of time and effort into it, someone else can pick it up and introduce the changes people are death-threatening you over. That was the whole point of open source collaboration.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't think entitled is quite the right word even, but people keep posting this thing:

appearing to think the point of it is is that:
1) this obviously means the person in nebraska is doing a great service to the world;
2) people should say 'thanks'; and;
3) more of the blocks should be like that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Armitag3 posted:

It seems weird to call these people entitled when they’re working on side projects for free, but the trend of e-begging for being paid for their open source work is exactly that - I also wish I could get paid to work on stuff I care about in the exact way I want instead of being paid for my real job of working on something i don’t really care about. In fact, I’d say most people would prefer it. Open source is fine when you’re just doing it as a side thing for the love of it with no higher expectations for either yourself or others that use your work. Don’t make it your baby and be ready to not put in life-ruining amounts of time and effort into it, someone else can pick it up and introduce the changes people are death-threatening you over. That was the whole point of open source collaboration.

the guys just in it for the love of the js polyfill game

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

the guys just in it for the love of the js polyfill game

i’ve seen weirder kinks

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
js-polyfill $every waking moment of the last 9 years
Utility $150

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

when I was looking for a job once I went to some event at a mozilla office and someone who worked there talked my ear off about how I should learn rust because the field of libraries was still wide open and it was a great opportunity to be the maintainer of some super widely used open source library. I did not feel this was a compelling pitch

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

agreed

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Bloody posted:

we have our candidates do a two hour take home toy problem as part of our interview process. is this bad

i hire a bunch of people (as SAs, not coders) and we do this too. in general I see poo poo like this as a sanity check. less ‘can this person do thing well’ and more ‘is this person loving insane or way out of their depth, i want to know before we go any further’

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

The failure mode I've seen with the n-hour take-home test is that they're usually underspecified according to what the team actually wants to see and there's no penalty to not being a tryhard and blowing the time limit to make it better

1) The first time I had a take-home like that, it was a super open ended test to implement a cluster scheduler simulator (jobs come in, get scheduled "at some point" according to some policy). I stuck to the four-hour limit and, 15 minutes before my timer went off, I wrote a bit of "...if I had more time, ..." text in the README. Basically, because I didn't really know anything about state of the art scheduler algorithms, I figured the value of these four hours would be to implement more infrastructural things like pulling in scheduler policies as plugins with dlopen() and whatnot. The scheduler policy was pretty trivial because that wasn't the part of the product I knew much about.

By the four hours, I had a bunch of mechanism that I thought would show off, per Git Apologist's definition, that I'm not insane nor out of my depth, but turns out that the specific parts that the hiring staff engineer wanted to see were the things I put off in the README, and he actually kind of tore me a new one in the phone screen for it. To be clear: the problem statement didn't in any way imply that it's the scheduler algorithm that they're interested in - if you say "you have four hours to essentially build a simulator for our product", one would think that some reasonable covering set of what the thing needs to do, while showing off that you aren't totally incompetent, but all you need is one hiring TL whose life's purpose isn't the thing you implemented...

2) I also did another take-home once that was something around building a "scalable" kv store (the usecase was a hypothetical email server, needing to map accounts to undelivered message lists or something). For context, this was a scala shop, but they said one could use whatever language one wants, so because I'd been writing (ugh) Go at my current gig I just did it in Go, and wrote some lock-free data structures to make the thing "scalable" or whatever. Fine, no problem, and I remembered from last time that there's nothing to be gained from sticking to the time limit, so I just spent a whole day on it instead. And I got hired, woo!

Shortly thereafter, I found myself watching other candidates submit solutions and seeing why staff would reject those implementations. For context: the Scala world uses this actor-based framework called Akka for concurrent programming, but this company specifically did not use it - they prefer just taking locks and atomically CASing stuff around. That's fine, just a different style, but it just so happens that my choice of language led myself to the unstated thing they wanted to check -- can the candidate program with locks and atomics correctly! But so many actual Scala people got rejected because they made the appropriate choice to use the Akka library, so they'd get bounced because they didn't demonstrate the thing they had no indication they should demonstrate.

Honestly, fizzbuzz on a whiteboard feels like less of a crapshoot.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

open source is for spreading your problems to other people

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dijkstracula posted:

The failure mode I've seen with the n-hour take-home test is that they're usually underspecified according to what the team actually wants to see and there's no penalty to not being a tryhard and blowing the time limit to make it better

1) The first time I had a take-home like that, it was a super open ended test to implement a cluster scheduler simulator (jobs come in, get scheduled "at some point" according to some policy). I stuck to the four-hour limit and, 15 minutes before my timer went off, I wrote a bit of "...if I had more time, ..." text in the README. Basically, because I didn't really know anything about state of the art scheduler algorithms, I figured the value of these four hours would be to implement more infrastructural things like pulling in scheduler policies as plugins with dlopen() and whatnot. The scheduler policy was pretty trivial because that wasn't the part of the product I knew much about.

By the four hours, I had a bunch of mechanism that I thought would show off, per Git Apologist's definition, that I'm not insane nor out of my depth, but turns out that the specific parts that the hiring staff engineer wanted to see were the things I put off in the README, and he actually kind of tore me a new one in the phone screen for it. To be clear: the problem statement didn't in any way imply that it's the scheduler algorithm that they're interested in - if you say "you have four hours to essentially build a simulator for our product", one would think that some reasonable covering set of what the thing needs to do, while showing off that you aren't totally incompetent, but all you need is one hiring TL whose life's purpose isn't the thing you implemented...

2) I also did another take-home once that was something around building a "scalable" kv store (the usecase was a hypothetical email server, needing to map accounts to undelivered message lists or something). For context, this was a scala shop, but they said one could use whatever language one wants, so because I'd been writing (ugh) Go at my current gig I just did it in Go, and wrote some lock-free data structures to make the thing "scalable" or whatever. Fine, no problem, and I remembered from last time that there's nothing to be gained from sticking to the time limit, so I just spent a whole day on it instead. And I got hired, woo!

Shortly thereafter, I found myself watching other candidates submit solutions and seeing why staff would reject those implementations. For context: the Scala world uses this actor-based framework called Akka for concurrent programming, but this company specifically did not use it - they prefer just taking locks and atomically CASing stuff around. That's fine, just a different style, but it just so happens that my choice of language led myself to the unstated thing they wanted to check -- can the candidate program with locks and atomics correctly! But so many actual Scala people got rejected because they made the appropriate choice to use the Akka library, so they'd get bounced because they didn't demonstrate the thing they had no indication they should demonstrate.

Honestly, fizzbuzz on a whiteboard feels like less of a crapshoot.

ours is well scoped on both points fortunately: we tell you in advance what local environment you'll need to have to do the take-home; you tell us in advance what two hour block you want to do it during; we email you a .net solution at the start of your time block; you follow the included instructions (here's a toy app that does X, modify it to do Y); you email it back before the 2 hour deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Bloody posted:

ours is well scoped on both points fortunately: we tell you in advance what local environment you'll need to have to do the take-home; you tell us in advance what two hour block you want to do it during; we email you a .net solution at the start of your time block; you follow the included instructions (here's a toy app that does X, modify it to do Y); you email it back before the 2 hour deadline

nice, it also sounds like your approach is closer to reflecting "on the job" sort of things (make X do Y), versus "build this whole thing from whole cloth"