Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah its intentionally structured to resemble our code base, warts and all, to provide an accurate representation of the job to candidates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

here's how i get jobs:

1. get annoyed at work
2. do some interviews because why not, maybe i'll want to move soon
3. oh an offer, it's better than what i have
4. now that's my new job

if you have a long take home, there is basically zero chance i will interview you unless i'm in a really bad situation (unemployed or desperate to leave). if it's a little hour long test on hackerrank or whatever, sure, but real takehomes? nah. no way.

there are people that similarly reject whiteboard interviews out of hand. but i don't give my employer outside-of-work hours, there's no way i'm giving that time to some company that doesn't write my checks unless i really have to. if you want to fly me to a place and give me a couple nice meals and a hotel room to chat nerd poo poo for a few hours? yeah that sounds nice

ive never job hunted in the new teleconferencing interview world, though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think long take-homes are inherently disrespectful to the applicant's time. Really any sort of asymmetric thing where the applicant spends significantly more time than the company does.

Four hours of interviewing sucking up four hours of company employee's time is better because the company is actually putting significant skin in the game, and is less likely to be jerking you around because it's also their own money they're wasting.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
ill let you guys in on my secret Three Steps to Wealth plan, as long as everyone agrees to keep it secret, ok?

here goes

1) Get a job
2) Get a better job
3) Repeat step (2) as necessary

ok? ok. lets just keep that between us. :wink:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

ill let you guys in on my secret Three Steps to Wealth plan, as long as everyone agrees to keep it secret, ok?

here goes

1) Get a job
2) Get a better job

lmao at this guy exchanging labour for wealth instead of just rent seeking

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

rotor posted:

here goes

1) create an open source project
2) become famous for your open source project

:monocle:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I feel like take-home tasks filters out sane, well-adjusted people who have lives. I'd almost go as far as saying it discriminates against people with kids or families.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dougdrums posted:

I feel like take-home tasks filters out sane, well-adjusted people who have lives. I'd almost go as far as saying it discriminates against people with kids or families.

working

as

designed

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

one might even say it self-selects for those with real passion

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

no!!!!!

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Dijkstracula posted:

By the four hours, I had a bunch of mechanism that I thought would show off, per Git Apologist's definition, that I'm not insane nor out of my depth, but turns out that the specific parts that the hiring staff engineer wanted to see were the things I put off in the README, and he actually kind of tore me a new one in the phone screen for it.

wtf i hope you told that guy to gently caress off. i wouldn't put up with being "torn a new one" by someone i didn't even work for.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

qsvui posted:

wtf i hope you told that guy to gently caress off. i wouldn't put up with being "torn a new one" by someone i didn't even work for.
I came very close to just ending the call outright when the guy implied I was just namedropping "lock-free programming" without knowing anything about it, when my resume clearly lists that I'd given conference talks about it, but no I was in some combination of surprised and "put my best foot forward for the interview" mode and did not

after the call I absolutely told the recruiter that because of this I had no interest in continuing the process (which culminated in one of the co-founders calling me to apologise and smooth things over, which, was appreciated even if there was no world in which it would work)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

here goes

1) Get a job
2) Get a better job

I really hate the process involved in step 2.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what if you’ve basically peaked

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
then you need to add a couple of steps

4. die
5. be reincarnated with rich parents

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nY_cy8zcO4

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

open source is an ecosystem of people trying really hard to keep the web and all of software development alive

thank god for open source, otherwise software development would die :rolleyes:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if the maintainers are frustrated maybe they should just stop maintaining things???

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ban open sores software if it means the web goes away

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i was trying to take the high road but i just cant

this dude looks like he's wearing someone elses hair as a wig

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor trying to play off the facts its his video

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the mismatch between the bleached hair and the dark moustache is really grating for me

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

if I was compelled to make a ten minute video every time I got mad at something I read on a web forum, you people would never let me have a moment's respite

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

and whatever is goin on here

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

anyway, open source still fundamentally broken, please dont contribute, if you feel you must contribute please read the manifesto, thank u for ur time

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h__zP17eMoSXntHq6Jo7nKxRB8DoCOcVZ794Qd4LEA4/

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

writing a manifesto about how the parts of speech supply chain shortage is leading people to say things like "getting started with dev" and "open source is not a place to go"

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

rotor do you have reckons on GPL3 as opposed to AGPL? I typically publish my research code under the latter unless I'm building off existing projects that are under a different licence that I'm required to use, but you mostly reference the former in the context of "if you must"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk the details, just basically the more restrictive the better

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you absolutely must just throw your code to the wind, the ideal license is like “you may read this but never actually compile or use it in any way”

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

rotor posted:

and whatever is goin on here

would totally buy this av for you if yours wasnt so good

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

HamAdams posted:

would totally buy this av for you if yours wasnt so good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

aaag

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

read back over the thread and im all mad again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyway i posted that video because i thought rotor wouldnt like it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

anyway i posted that video because i thought rotor wouldnt like it

i mean we're both discouraging people from doing open source so as far as that goes i got no beef with him wrt that

the dudes whole look though is a different story

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

we truely need to weigh all sides. watch this video and lets discuss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVBygF9T4-w

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart please stop posting videos from your subscription list

Adbot