Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

EvellSnoats posted:

I think if you are talking about the red "marks" on top of the chain, I think that is just a reflection from the hood, but I will check it out. I was looking for the chain sides to be differently colored but saw nothing on the kind and will look closer this weekend.

Those yellow marks on the sprockets line up with the yellow marks on the block, was this you? Points to someone being in there in the past, if not. This was recommended when I did the timing chains on my Golf's 2.5L, to ensure the VVT stuff connected to the sprocket had all their oil passages lined up when you took it off and put it back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
You've got the spring-loaded tensioners locked compressed back with a pin, correct? Not sure if you put new ones in, but new-in- box ones will have a metal rod about double the diameter of a paperclip that holds the tensioner back and away from the chain, so the chain can be loose and adjusted. Once it's in the right spot, you can pull the pins and the tensioner's guides will spring out to the chain and take the slack out.

From your pic, it looks like there is one tooth too much slack between the cams, are they locked in place?

Also remember to lube up the chains before putting the case back on, and if you can spin it a few times by hand to make sure nothing is hitting, all the better.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

EvellSnoats posted:

Now with only a little bit left in the day and my trip to the lake at an end, I started to crank it. It sounded HORRIBLE. "Clacking" that I complained of a while back was more pronounced, only now it was, as they say, "at speed."

I had the same exact experience when I put my brother's Golf back together; so fear not. It shot a pang of dread through me at the time, though.

I can't remember if the Youtube Video explaining the VW Mk7's cam-mounted VVT failures was from this thread or not, but after watching it, really helps to explain that Mk6's 1) timing sensor correlation issue that didn't go away with new chains or a new crank sensor, 2) that horrible clacking until the thing got a decent amount of oil pumped back into it, and 3) the reason in the first place this VVT thing might have gone out, since I know it was run really low on oil.