Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EvellSnoats posted:

This plastic bag was in the air intake pipe, almost like it was placed there. I'm wondering if the outfit auctioning this thing off was screwing with it to try and make it stumble? It would have been a once in a lifetime shot for it to get picked up on the road and the bag looked almost new

That is absolutely a thing people do to try to get auction cars cheaper.

It wouldn't be causing your other issues, but it would definitely make it stumble and have zero power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

Definitely looks like it was maintained, that is CLEAN for the mileage.

This - I've had cars with 50k that looked much worse. Someone was extremely religious about oil changes.

Are those marks on the cam sprockets supposed to line up with the marks on the chain? If not, I don't really see anything except maybe a lobe looking a little sad (I don't do cams or timing though, beyond replacing a timing belt when I have to).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 4, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You could get a mirror with homelink built in, if you have trouble tracking down the rest of what you need.

Most of the mirrors with autodimming, compass, etc are made by Gentex; the plugs vary from car to car, but if you can find one that was a dealer add-on and doesn't have something like OnStar controls in it, it's usually just 3 wires (switched, constant, and ground), sometimes 4 (headlights). The mirror from a 2011-15 Kia Forte comes to mind - the loaded mirror was a dealer add-on. Kia blew them out last year for stupid cheap, I grabbed one for my old car. Auto dimming, compass, and homelink; you can wire the constant wire to switched if you don't want Homelink to work with the car off.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 7, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh man. I almost jumped on the GMT train instead of the Lexry train, and honestly, still kinda wish I'd jumped on the GMT train - but they wanted an obscene amount of money for a GMT800 with 200k+ miles, so the Lexus won. Yeah, Lexus is a nicer vehicle, but a GMT800 is drat near bulletproof.

So much room to work on them. So easy to repair when poo poo hits them. So... much... room... for.... transmission swaps. :shepicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

EvellSnoats posted:

She is on her third transmission at 267K miles, so there is that. Meanwhile my daughter's Lexus RX350 has over 300K and worst thing I have swapped on it was an oil filter housing. I had a 1996 LS400 that I ran over some bailing wire that fell off a truck at night on the interstate and sliced through half of its engine wiring harness and it still got me 30 miles home. Big fan of the GM platform and Lexus brand across all models.

I'm in an 08 ES 350 (basically just a tarted up V6 Camry) with 182k, still feels like a really solid car overall, still presents extremely well inside and out. Only issues are a sticky sunroof (apparently very common on 07-08) and worn suspension (rear shocks are just there for looks). Outside trunk button is finicky too, but someone stuck... butyl? all over it at some point. PO tried to get it fixed something like 6 years ago going by the service records on lexus.com, but I guess he didn't want to pay for a new switch to be installed.

Must have a 4L60 in the Chevy. :v:

I wouldn't mind a first gen LS400. Oddly, one of my bucket list cars. The tarted up Camry will do for now though, and funny enough, it's a lot like driving a cross between my mother's old car (03 Avalon) and SO's car (05 Matrix). All the controls are pretty much identical, except my HVAC and radio swapped spaces compared to the others. The Avalon had a switch to turn off the DRLs though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My commute with the Vic was pushing 500 miles a week - not counting tolls (I think that added ~$75ish a week on top of two full tanks of gas).

That stung my wallet so bad. I'm only working 5 days a week now instead of 7 tho, and an 11 mile drive each way now instead of 35. The downside is I'm in real rush hour on my way in, so I need to leave by.... 6:45. No more of that "leave by 3:30am so I can get in a fight with someone over a parking space, then if I'm lucky I can run my rear end off to catch an early bus instead of the next one, which gets me to the nearest time clock 15 minutes late instead of 30 minutes early" poo poo (clocking in "on time" is considered late enough to get a writeup at that company - I had to clock in by 5:14, even though my schedule said 5:15).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Are you sure it's just a + and - wire in that connector, and not a + and signal wire? The actuator may be grounding through the engine instead of that connector. But I bet all of the other codes are related to the cam actuator not working for one reason or another.

Full disclosure: I've never worked on a VAG product beyond helping a friend change an air filter on a Jetta (that was pretty overengineered in itself, why would they put it in the engine cover :argh:)