Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I had no intention of playing this because I'm really tired of the loot system after SoP but I'm gonna be able to play it for $1 on Game Pass so I guess I will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgDSQl_tjBo

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
In addition to the above story trailer there's now a plethora of preview articles and videos out there now of people who got to play the first two stages and show the second, both set in 184 CE, with some of the mechanics newly available, e.g. buying and selling consumables (Supplies) and selling gear for Copper, interacting with a Blacksmith during the second stage, and the ability to Learn Wizardry Spells including some not in the demo.

Azran posted:

Thanks! Hopefully we'll get a good hammer, Nioh 2's was a bit disappointing in that it was basically an axe :v:
I can confirm thanks to the above that there's a Hammer weapon type, with clubs/maces such as Zhang Liang's Great Club of Polaris having hammer icons on their Martial Arts attacks, separate from the Staff weapon type.

Compared to the September 2022 demo, yesterday's preview videos/screenshots have revealed some interface revision, such as the Level Up screen now having the Virtues' level numbers being moved from the five-colored star to a row at the top edge of the screen (a similar change has been done for Reinforcements), with the star now having a five-colored radar chart overlaid onto it, while armor and weapons' elemental stats are now alongside the Five Phases radar chart/spider chart instead of on/around it (I presume to make upgrades/downgrades more immediately apparent), and melee weapons now have a fourth Spirit stat, Deflect Difficulty, displayed as a percentage... I presume that it's how much narrower or wider the parry window is when using a given weapon?

In addition, armor and weapons' Special Effect lists have also been extended by one row/slot (six and five rows/slots respectively) to account for set bonuses, e.g. Zhang Liang's armor pieces and Great Club of Polaris all have "The Yellow Heaven Must Rise" taking up a row. (It appears that Accessories can count towards equipment weight, but not weapons.) I also noticed that unlike the demo wherein Zhao Yun's Warrior Effect had a non-descriptive name, it's now written out as explicitly as equipment Special Effects are.

EDIT: in addition to the Hammer (club/mace) and Staff, a Japanese playthrough of the second stage has revealed three other weapon types: a second spear category (in Chinese and Japanese the 矛/mao/hoko as opposed to the 槍/qiang/yari), dual-wielding ji, and dual-wielding sabres.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 19, 2023

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The reveal of Hulaoguan with Hua Xiong and Lü Bu is here, advertised as what's possible with a midgame character build, showing off multiple weapons and Wizardry Spells, and revealing that by midgame if not earlier your own Morale Rank can exceed the previous cap of 20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBUEbBrLmXY

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Just found out about this game the other day, and I'm sold on it just on the basis of it being Three Kingdoms take on Nioh.

I think at this point, Koei has at least four variations for each of their historical franchises:

Three Kingdoms (Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dynasty Warriors, Kessen 2, Wo Long)
Sengoku-era (Nobunaga's Ambition, Samurai Warriors, Kessen 1&3, Nioh)

What I realize, though, is that I still haven't finished Nioh 2, so I should probably beat it and its DLC before I pick up Wo Long.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Throw in Dynasty Tactics (which coincidentally also did helmeted Lü Bu) in place of or alongside Kessen 2, the play-a-character RPGs (some older defunct series, the Taikō Risshiden series, and the Officer Play RTK titles), and gacha mobile games for both (Sangokushi Hadou and Nobunaga no Yabou: Hadou).

It looks like some of the last-minute English localization changes are about making some of the stat names less opaque than in the September 2022 demo... for example, last week a Dutch gaming site's Twitch stream of the second mission/stage (the same that other public previews this week have shown) differed from the others in that weapons' "Sustain Break" and "Sustain" stats had been renamed to "Spirit Attack (Guarding)" and "Spirit Defense (Guarding)", so your equipped weapon determines how much stagger you deal both when you hit and when you're blocked. Conversely, how much stagger damage you take when hit is based on your innate Spirit Defense and that of your armor, whereas if you were blocking then it's based on your Guard Spirit Consumption Rate and your weapon's Spirit Defense (Guarding).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A second demo is coming on the 24th.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/02/wo-long-fallen-dynasty-demo-launches-february-24

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hell yeah, PC demo too

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If your save carries over to the full game then it’s probably the first few levels

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Steam, and Microsoft Store at that!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

One of my most hyped games of the year. Team Ninja never fails to deliver, even though Stranger of Paradise was really good and underrated(other than performance issues).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

One of my most hyped games of the year. Team Ninja never fails to deliver, even though Stranger of Paradise was really good and underrated(other than performance issues).

i'm especially hyped because i have a PC that can actually play their games at a reasonable framerate now

super excited to see what the character creator is like and how smooth the combat loop is

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

with demo progress carrying over I'll actually have to think about what to use this time. I just picked earth phase for defense in the first demo without really looking into the options, and being able to take 6 hits in a row without dying was definitely good but the earth-scaling glaive just felt too slow. did anyone replay it with different phases and see how they compared?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

i'm especially hyped because i have a PC that can actually play their games at a reasonable framerate now

super excited to see what the character creator is like and how smooth the combat loop is

It's really good, it's diff enough than Nioh. To me it felt like a mix of Nioh + Sekiro, so if you like those two games you will like it. But at the same time it was different enough to be it's own thing. The first demo had a really short parry window timing which they later changed but I don't think there has been a public demo since that change. Once the combat in the game flows it really flows.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

with demo progress carrying over I'll actually have to think about what to use this time. I just picked earth phase for defense in the first demo without really looking into the options, and being able to take 6 hits in a row without dying was definitely good but the earth-scaling glaive just felt too slow. did anyone replay it with different phases and see how they compared?
For what it's worth, I believe that the differences between starting Phases will be less apparent in the upcoming second demo if what we're getting is what the mid-January previewers got: starting with only level 5 in your chosen Phase's corresponding Virtue instead of level 10; a more limited Wizardry Spell selection (a bunch of the first demo's spells are now higher-level spells with minimum Virtue requirements, while the 'learning' points are only granted at certain character levels and spread across all Five Phases instead of able to be spent all in one Phase at once); and the only Divine Beast available would be the Qilin, and only for the second stage. On the other hand, if this is true then the second demo will at least have more weapon type and armor variety than the first demo, and for the first time we'll get to experience the first stage for the first time, as said previewers weren't allowed to show or describe it.

On a different note, cross-posting this from the Nioh thread:
https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/1623517047861772289

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1622716773043953665?cxt=HHwWgoDTxdeThoUtAAAA

Coop effects on divine beasts is a good add, I really enjoyed the onmyo buffs you could put on the team in nioh 2 and always rolled with the shared barrier & steel talismans as a mage.

https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1622988563678625792?cxt=HHwWgICwyf3fgYYtAAAA

meanwhile, I really hope this is opt out without consequence because invasions are about the last loving thing on the planet I thought needed to be added to nioh.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm hyped for invasions lets goooooo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

praying team ninja has a modestly better grasp (re: any at all) on networking compared to fromsoft

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nioh's coop was better imo, so I'm hopeful for their invasion systems. I do believe you should be allowed to opt out without too much pain, but I'm personally looking forward to making stupid gimmick pvp videos again lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
nioh 2 had the cups to pay for a summon you'd get from beating a revenant. there'd have to be some kind of economy to it in wo long as well i assume?

haven't had a chance to play the first demo

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1622988563678625792?cxt=HHwWgICwyf3fgYYtAAAA

meanwhile, I really hope this is opt out without consequence because invasions are about the last loving thing on the planet I thought needed to be added to nioh.
Nothing to fear:

By the way, in case anyone wanted to avoid spoilers, there's apparently an achievement list out there. Furthermore, possibly due to this being separate from the January previews and their restriction to the second chapter/stage, a Kotaku video from this week about Wo Long morale has some clips from the third chapter/stage.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 11, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

hell yeah. I didn't want to get my hopes up but the first demo seemed to let you turn off the online feature where players dying to enemies would raise their morale in your world (I couldn't tell if the item to do that was reusable like a toggle but it seemed that way), so it seems like they're being smart about letting you choose which online features you want.

I'm assuming there will be some kind of bonus loot or exp or something for leaving invasions enabled, like how online morale-boosted enemies drop bonus loot.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 10, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
After reading about the combat system a bit, it sounds like instead of stance switching to help extend a combo this time it will be weapon swapping? If so that might be a nice middle ground with a bit less complexity than in Nioh.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do we know what the weapon selection is this time? Do we get to keep the fists and tonfas?

Takes No Damage posted:

After reading about the combat system a bit, it sounds like instead of stance switching to help extend a combo this time it will be weapon swapping? If so that might be a nice middle ground with a bit less complexity than in Nioh.

Hopefully that's not the case.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Do we know what the weapon selection is this time? Do we get to keep the fists and tonfas?

Don't know if we have a full list, but something on the first page mentions 13 melee weapons and 3 ranged. If each weapon is a completely different type then I would hope we'll get some less common ones like tonfa and punchy claws. Have any of the gameplay clips shown more than swords, spears and axes?

Jack Trades posted:

Hopefully that's not the case.

I liked the Niohs a lot, but ya gotta admit there was A LOT of systems in those games. And sure that helped extend the gameplay life for me since I was still learning new things 40 hours in, but it also presents a steep learning curve for new players. I'd be OK with something between 'here's your light combo, here's your heavy combo' and 'each weapon has a low, medium and high stance combo, with several additional learned movies that can be assigned to different button combinations across some or all of the stances. And items. And magic. And yokai abilities. Don't forget to flux ki pulse!'

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1623965708563664896?t=8ZzDCF59h7c5TB6WCziXag&s=19

They mention in this that the famous generals will be allies in missions, different options every time, which is not what I expected. I imagine it'll be similar to Stranger of Paradise, I know you had a party in that one (never played it).

They're also vague about how much of the RoTK material they're going to cover. I wonder if they'll split it into two games?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

I liked the Niohs a lot, but ya gotta admit there was A LOT of systems in those games. And sure that helped extend the gameplay life for me since I was still learning new things 40 hours in, but it also presents a steep learning curve for new players. I'd be OK with something between 'here's your light combo, here's your heavy combo' and 'each weapon has a low, medium and high stance combo, with several additional learned movies that can be assigned to different button combinations across some or all of the stances. And items. And magic. And yokai abilities. Don't forget to flux ki pulse!'

Ya they did something similar in Stranger of Paradise. It has a parry mechanic for normal attacks, orange attacks you can press circle to steal enemies ability and red attacks are unblockables but some jobs has an ability that can interrupt an unstoppable. Parries give you a guarantee crit but just like the Wo Long parry the window is really narrow and it's not as easy as Dark Souls. If you do a successful spellshield and steal enemy's ability you can attack right after to get a extended dash counter attack. The enemy ability can cancel animation of any of your combos so it's good to use when you want to get out of a combo. You can switch jobs mid combo, it's sort of a flux stance change but every job has different abilities/characteristics so it changes how you play even more than a stance change. Job switching mid combo from a paladin job to white mage you will instantly want to reposition further away. This is just in game mechanics. There is command abilities you use with the d pad that are not related to the jobs. Every job has a special ability mapped to r2 which the whole job revolves around. That's without mentioning anything with the loot system just like Nioh you can swap weapon traits, weapon affinity etc.

In Wo Long they already have martial arts + spells + morale system. Maybe there is more stuff they haven't shown.

That being said for the first playthrough of these games you can't kind ignore the side mechanics and learn as you go. SoP is quite a good game, although I feel like the party aspect is not a good idea. If you just play solo on hard you get a really challenging experience similar to Nioh.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I've never played any of the previous games and I don't play dark souls-ish games in general because I'm typically bad at them, but this game looks awesome, I can't wait to try the demo in a few weeks to see if it's something that will stick for me or if it's just something I eventually watch someone way better than me play.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Combo posted:

I've never played any of the previous games and I don't play dark souls-ish games in general because I'm typically bad at them, but this game looks awesome, I can't wait to try the demo in a few weeks to see if it's something that will stick for me or if it's just something I eventually watch someone way better than me play.

I would recommend playing online or co-op in those games, it's a great way to get in. Wu Long to me seemed stupid hard but maybe with the parry window timer being longer it will be a bit easier.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

hell yeah. I didn't want to get my hopes up but the first demo seemed to let you turn off the online feature where players dying to enemies would raise their morale in your world (I couldn't tell if the item to do that was reusable like a toggle but it seemed that way), so it seems like they're being smart about letting you choose which online features you want.
I don't know how true this is (disabling it), however the Memorial Tablet consumable's use is to remove said vengeance-target enemy Morale boosts.

Takes No Damage posted:

Don't know if we have a full list, but something on the first page mentions 13 melee weapons and 3 ranged. If each weapon is a completely different type then I would hope we'll get some less common ones like tonfa and punchy claws. Have any of the gameplay clips shown more than swords, spears and axes?
Only staves and hammers/maces; back when streamers and YouTubers were throwing up their videos Dengeki Online revealed the thirteen melee weapons: Straight Sabre, Sword, Curved Sabre, Glaive, Halberd, Staff, Hammer, Poleaxe, Spear, what Fextralife called a Slashing Spear (矛, pretty much Zhang Fei's weapon type, mentioned earlier on this page), Dual Swords, Dual Sabres, and Dual Halberds. For ranged I've seen the Bow, Crossbow, and Repeating Crossbow, and for throwables I've seen Pebbles, Throwing Knives, Poison Throwing Knives, and Fire Pots.

Begemot posted:

They mention in this that the famous generals will be allies in missions, different options every time, which is not what I expected. I imagine it'll be similar to Stranger of Paradise, I know you had a party in that one (never played it).
So far it seems to be mission-specific; in the January previews/upcoming demo's second stage Zhao Yun joins you early on, while IGN's 'high-level superplay' video had a Hulao Gate/Pass solo playthrough, with no AI recruitment shown.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chortles posted:

Only staves and hammers/maces; back when streamers and YouTubers were throwing up their videos Dengeki Online revealed the thirteen melee weapons: Straight Sabre, Sword, Curved Sabre, Glaive, Halberd, Staff, Hammer, Poleaxe, Spear, what Fextralife called a Slashing Spear (矛, pretty much Zhang Fei's weapon type, mentioned earlier on this page), Dual Swords, Dual Sabres, and Dual Halberds. For ranged I've seen the Bow, Crossbow, and Repeating Crossbow, and for throwables I've seen Pebbles, Throwing Knives, Poison Throwing Knives, and Fire Pots.

Hell yeah, not since Diablo 2 have I seen a game with such granular varity in polearms. Two kinds of spears, a halberd, a glaive, and a poleaxe!? I can't wait!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Battle Flag Customization, the successor to the Sudama, and an in-game player hub:
https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1624800500943138818https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1625301047655940099https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1625639260777840650

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I saw this game pop up on gamepass and had no idea what it was, this thread title made me think it was a musou or something in that vein (I stopped reading at Lu Bu) so I disregarded it entirely but I'm pleased as punch to see that this is basically the next Nioh. Hype levels immediately through the roof for this, esp because I can play it on gamepass :hmmyes:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1625857475923808259?s=20

Looks like respecs and the ability to go back to the character creator will be as available as nioh 2.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Good, being able try out new stuff or completely change your build in NG + was great

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
no fists....

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Only trust your 大錘

Fists will never help you

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlestonJew posted:

no fists....

There'll probably be some gimmick set that boosts Fist damage like the Nioh games

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am going have actually decided what to do other than build for giant quick draw numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They’re just saving fists for the DLC.