Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

seeing as they rip/pay homage to a lot of ninja gaiden attacks and animations in the nioh games I was always a little disappointed we didn't get a nunchaku weapon, that'd been fuckin sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Calidus posted:

I am going have actually decided what to do other than build for giant quick draw numbers.

Only downside of the setting. Can't be an iai girl/lad.

I guess they can do it with some daos but I'm not overly familiar with Chinese weaponry and what would have been somewhat common of the time period.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the common weaponry of ancient china included things such as the dao, the ji, the dagger-axe, and projectile children

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The story trailer really drove home that the optimal audio to play with will be Mandarin.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

bloodychill posted:

The story trailer really drove home that the optimal audio to play with will be Mandarin.
Speaking of the story trailer, have it in Mandarin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXjs2MT1Hw

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

Hell yeah, Nioh in Japanese all day every day. I watched a streamer play through most of Nioh 2 in English and it was just weird.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I tried Nioh 2 in English for like two scenes, couldn't handle it. The VA just wasn't very good.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Begemot posted:

Hell yeah, not since Diablo 2 have I seen a game with such granular varity in polearms. Two kinds of spears, a halberd, a glaive, and a poleaxe!? I can't wait!
If you happen to check out the story trailer I linked earlier on this page, it's what I presume to be a Halberd-specific Martial Arts attack that's shown at 50 seconds in during the one second of gameplay footage.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I really hope at least one of polearms is for a light armor or medium armor build.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calidus posted:

I really hope at least one of polearms is for a light armor or medium armor build.

i imagine they're not gonna deviate much from the model of nioh, in which you can run with whatever weapons and eventually acquire the means to make them scale more off of your preferential stats

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dabir posted:

I tried Nioh 2 in English for like two scenes, couldn't handle it. The VA just wasn't very good.

I actually think it's not bad overall but the english VA through the first few missions is just not as good for some reason.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nioh 2 is best played with the japanese VAs for the sole reason that you'll nearly fall out of your chair the first time you run into yasuke

it's the audio equivalent of reading nothing but manga for a year and then picking up a comic book out of the blue

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently the actor they got for Tokichiro in Nioh 2 was a big name actor that played the same character in a bunch of live action stuff. Makes sense since he was really good.

And yeah I usually play games like that in Japanese. Though I’ve played Ghost of Tsushima in both Japanese and English and both are really good.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I liked how they gave William in Nioh 1 a magic translation power, so he could continue speaking English while every other character around him spoke Japanese :allears:

Definitely gonna play this one in Mandarin. Have they said that it will have that voice track? They keep using English in all the trailers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

japanese in nioh all day, mandarin in wo long all day

one of my fav things to do in nioh 2 was to go back into the character editor and age my dudes up as I beat new zones

wonder if I'll have an excuse to do the same in wo long lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has there been any footage confirming fist weapons?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it would be weird if there wasn't a way to kung fu some dudes like a shaw brothers movie

I want to see more footage of cool Staff moves

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Begemot posted:

Definitely gonna play this one in Mandarin. Have they said that it will have that voice track? They keep using English in all the trailers.
As per my earlier posts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXjs2MT1Hw

A Halberd attack is used at 0:50-0:51 by the way.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

RatHat posted:

Apparently the actor they got for Tokichiro in Nioh 2 was a big name actor that played the same character in a bunch of live action stuff. Makes sense since he was really good.
And in turn Nioh 1 Nobunaga was voiced by Koei Tecmo's co-founder/president/CEO!

Chortles fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 16, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jack Trades posted:

Has there been any footage confirming fist weapons?

someone posted the full list of weapons earlier in the thread and fists were not among them

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Begemot posted:

I liked how they gave William in Nioh 1 a magic translation power, so he could continue speaking English while every other character around him spoke Japanese :allears:

Ya I was thinking if Nioh was that game, where the mc just speaks in English while everyone speaks to him in Japanese. That is the true foreigner experience in Japan.

People were praising the English VA for Ghost of Tsushima but man the Japanese VA hits just different in these types of games. Even in the AC games I would turn it into the language of the location and it was such a better experience. Played AC2 in Italian, AC unity in French.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

someone posted the full list of weapons earlier in the thread and fists were not among them

:negative:

How am I supposed to play a punchgirl then, like I did in Nioh 2?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
It was weird having Nioh 2 start out in English and then, I don't know whether it was after an update or not, it eventually switched to the Japanese track without me doing anything.

Also, I am hoping that there is some fists option of some kind in the future.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1626250049926594560

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Amazing Cultivation Simulator has prepared me for this.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

When the game was first announced, I made a joke about needing to memorize this chart. I can't believe it actually came true!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Begemot posted:

When the game was first announced, I made a joke about needing to memorize this chart. I can't believe it actually came true!
The September 2022 demo's "raising a Virtue lowers your elemental defense against the overcoming Phase" has been absent from subsequent videos, so the overcoming interaction is now limited to spells counters (dissipating/negating attacks, clearing debuffs, and removing/blocking buffs); as far as I know the generating interaction is still limited to "raising a Virtue raises the elemental defense of the generated/supported Phase".

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

japanese in nioh all day, mandarin in wo long all day

one of my fav things to do in nioh 2 was to go back into the character editor and age my dudes up as I beat new zones

I got that idea from this thread and did it too, it was great. Hiddy getting more wrinkly and grey as the game went on corresponded nicely with Tokichiro doing the same.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
It works so well with the reconciliation scene with Tokichiro that I can't imagine the devs not having discussed doing it automatically. Probably scrapped because there is a certain level of inviolability to a player's customized avatar (especially in a game that prioritizes giving the player so much freedom in their character builds and style) .

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Autsj posted:

It works so well with the reconciliation scene with Tokichiro that I can't imagine the devs not having discussed doing it automatically. Probably scrapped because there is a certain level of inviolability to a player's customized avatar (especially in a game that prioritizes giving the player so much freedom in their character builds and style) .

Yeah, you're kind of stuck between limiting people to a set number of presets that you have aged versions of, and just not doing it at all. Trying to automatically mess with hair color or age sliders just isn't going to work when the player could start the game as a withered crone.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I sidestep the whole deal by choosing to believe shiftlings don't age like that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Saint Freak posted:

I sidestep the whole deal by choosing to believe shiftlings don't age like that.

Some characters age and others don't and it's not really explained. Mumyo doesn't for example, it may be due to her guardian spirit being associated with extending life, or maybe it's just a guardian spirit thing in general.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Some characters age and others don't and it's not really explained. Mumyo doesn't for example, it may be due to her guardian spirit being associated with extending life, or maybe it's just a guardian spirit thing in general.

The answer is "it's whichever makes them hotter".

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Iirc, Mumyo was modelled after and voiced by an idol - stunt casting thingy, same thing they did with whatshername in Nioh 1 I believe. So even if had they wanted to (probably not) they likely wouldn't have been contractually allowed to age her up.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Review codes have gone out, and even though the review embargo won't be lifted until the day before release, you never know who will disregard that... that said, if you click the first link the OP (Sportskeeda Esports writer Suman Biswas) answers some non-story spoiler inquiries such as difficulty, PC performance, and options.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They are saying it is well optimized on PC, similar settings to Nioh 2 for those who were curious.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

explosivo posted:

They are saying it is well optimized on PC, similar settings to Nioh 2 for those who were curious.

team ninja has generally been pretty good with their PC ports, with nioh 2 running fabulously on my old clunker on release, so i'm expecting wo long to be about the same

extremely hyped for this friday, i'm gonna be up all night playing the demo

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mzbundifund posted:

Mumyo doesn't age for the same reason the player character doesn't. They both have parts of the immortality granting sword.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Begemot posted:

I think the main thing that's going to throw a lot of people is lightning magic being classified under "Wood"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

goferchan posted:

I think the main thing that's going to throw a lot of people is lightning magic being classified under "Wood"

i have only peripheral knowledge of wuxing, but i'm assuming it's due to it interpromoting fire (e.g. lightning strikes causing forest fires). still definitely gonna throw people more used to the classical greek elements for a loop