Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Went through the first DLC, it's so drat short and small. I can see why people were mad at it. The new enemy types they added are cool, like the basic soldier with a huge shield, he is simple but makes you approach him from different angles. But there aren't too many. I belive there might be 3 new enemy types? Caestus is fun, it's not as good as the monk class in Stranger of Paradise where it felt you were playing in turbo speed but still fun uppercutting giant dudes in armor to the sky and then shooting magical fists at them.

The 2nd boss is just copy pasta of Taoist in Black but like worse? The first boss Xu Hu is nothing special but quite fun. Dian Wei evil form is quite fun, one of the better boss battles including the base game bosses.

DLC1's definitely way too short and sweet, to the point that it feels like it has to have been a budget thing, which is admittedly weird for something with a season pass. the gimmick with the ballistae was kinda neat, though the loving demon dogs are a huge pain to deal with, and that double dog fight has to be absolute hell on NG+

DLC2 is, by comparison, significantly better in terms of level layout and overall aesthetics, though pirate man felt like a much weaker boss compared to xu hu. the final boss is a loving nightmare as previously described, though i managed him after about 10-ish tries thanks to a combination of strong spirit damage - longsword with crushing subjugation deals insane spirit damage with toxic + stone debuff - and tactical use of guardian summon for the guaranteed stagger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Calidus posted:

That took me hours. I don’t think I ever fought that fight again when going through all the difficulties.

Iirc there is even a worse version were you fight a couple other bosses first then get him or was the OG version?

He's the capstone on a long gauntlet fight where you fight multiple bosses, yes

Actually one of my favorite missions, tbh

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Vermain posted:

DLC1's definitely way too short and sweet, to the point that it feels like it has to have been a budget thing, which is admittedly weird for something with a season pass. the gimmick with the ballistae was kinda neat, though the loving demon dogs are a huge pain to deal with, and that double dog fight has to be absolute hell on NG+

DLC2 is, by comparison, significantly better in terms of level layout and overall aesthetics, though pirate man felt like a much weaker boss compared to xu hu. the final boss is a loving nightmare as previously described, though i managed him after about 10-ish tries thanks to a combination of strong spirit damage - longsword with crushing subjugation deals insane spirit damage with toxic + stone debuff - and tactical use of guardian summon for the guaranteed stagger

I found pirate man to be deadly in the duel rematch mission. It’s a really cool fight, even if it is really hard.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

Man I wish you could loving trade items. I have a separate ng+ run but I don't want to waste my time grinding for grace sets, sometimes it feels like u do 0 dmg, of course you can just spirit dmg enemies with parries but the extra normal dmg does add up when you got good set.

I really hope Team Ninja tone down the Diablo style build/loot for Rise of The Ronin. It usually is not significant in first runs but it keeps getting more important in ng+ as you keep going up difficulty. The only thing you can do is join the game of someone higher level than you and grab higher level loot to grind faster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do find it hilarious that the first boss of Nioh 2 is available as a tough-as-nails endgame challenge. Really underlines that Hide or William would wipe the floor with your poor little Chinese dude.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I really like the idea of grace sets just being random pieces of gear compared to set items and grinding a boss. Idk why but I enjoyed the loot grind in Nioh 2 much more than Wo Long.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

I do find it hilarious that the first boss of Nioh 2 is available as a tough-as-nails endgame challenge. Really underlines that Hide or William would wipe the floor with your poor little Chinese dude.

I wish they'd gone with a cooler boss like Shuten Doji or something

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I really like the Xu Chu fight, as well as Dian Wei. That said the DLC boss fights really go overload on 'does a combo, then fucks off to the other side of the stage' movesets. Re: new enemy types, my favorite is the shaolin monk dude in either DLC 2 or DLC 3. You see a grand total of 1, right before the final boss of the mission, and he died to a headshot lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Calidus posted:

I really like the idea of grace sets just being random pieces of gear compared to set items and grinding a boss. Idk why but I enjoyed the loot grind in Nioh 2 much more than Wo Long.

Well Team Ninja love turning NG+ into a grindfest and build optimization. That's one of my prayers of Rise of Ronin, I don't want Borderland/Diablo style loot system. Just copy Souls man for one game and have 1-2 items for each type, all meaningful.

I actually give Team Ninja way more credit than Fromsoft because they actually experiment with gameplay instead of doing small increments on Demon Souls(minus Sekiro/AC6). But I wish they would layoff the loot spam/argy builds for one game.

There is barely any good info on Rise of Ronin so hopefully we get more in depth info soon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So one thing that I'm finding curiously challenging on my Wood/Water build in the endgame of the first difficulty level is doing spirit damage and making it stick. Not shrinking the enemy's spirit bar, but actually building up that delicious orange. Basic attacks are most effective for building my own spirit, and neither martial arts nor wizardry spells seem to be piling on sufficiently large, lasting hurt on enemies' spirit bars. Any tips?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Is the DLC necessary to get the updates to weapons, martial arts, etc., or was that all added to the base game as well?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Is the DLC necessary to get the updates to weapons, martial arts, etc., or was that all added to the base game as well?

the weapon updates and basic versions of the new weapons are a part of the base game, although unique variants of the new weapons are only available in their respective DLCs

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Darth Walrus posted:

So one thing that I'm finding curiously challenging on my Wood/Water build in the endgame of the first difficulty level is doing spirit damage and making it stick. Not shrinking the enemy's spirit bar, but actually building up that delicious orange. Basic attacks are most effective for building my own spirit, and neither martial arts nor wizardry spells seem to be piling on sufficiently large, lasting hurt on enemies' spirit bars. Any tips?

What weapons are you using? Some martial arts are much better for spirit damage than others. Are you proccing status effects? Water’s associated status prevents enemies from recovering spirit naturally (they can still gain spirit from attacking) and wood’s status, shock, deals spirit damage over time. Some martial arts are really good at applying status effects, so you may want to experiment with those and weapon enchants. For wizardry, ominous chill applies chill quickly and does lots of damage, but doesn’t work well against small or quick enemies. I’m not really sure which wood spells are good.

Some enemies also just build up spirit really fast if you focus a lot on blocking. Try to evade and deflect more so they don’t undo your spirit damage through their own attacks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol what the actual gently caress Yuan Shu

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

drat Gan Ning is annoying im stuck on him but mainly it seems to be long sword's passive being so hard to hit. The charge up attack is so risky even though you can parry but it's hitscan is busted I've enemies dodge it point blank so many times. Pretty sure I could take him out with dual sword which was my main build or spear.

Caestus is great, I might reswitch my build to that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I should try other stuff but drought demon blade is so good.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I beat the first two DLCs and those kinda sucked. Taishi Ci demon form really feels like some just said make sure is hard but never told anyone to make it fun. The end game bosses were both hard and fun but that was miserable. These bosses that zip around and you have chase suck because this game doesn’t have gap closing tools.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I do think DLC 2 is better in terms of level design. The levels are more different and a bit bigger. DLC 1 was really easy though I think I first timed all the bosses on that one, and I was barely above the level cap so it's not like I was melting the bosses. Gan Ning was definitely a challenge though because the parry timing for his red attacks goes from ultra fast to ultra slow windup which can mix you up. Fighting a pirate with a grappling hook a boat was fun too. It sucks he doesn't really use the grappling hook as part of the fight.

I am currently at Tiashi Ci, so I'll see how it goes but ya I agree it's hard to fight bosses with ranged moveset in this game. Btw if you have a water build you can take the blink, it does help close the gap and you can dodge through projectiles. The problem with the blink/teleport is I wish it was a inch longer because you can't travel long distance without filling up your spirit gauge.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The ability to switch builds easily is cool but keep multiple builds up to date is annoying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pro tip - Yuan Shu (the final boss of DLC 3) is far easier with a heavy weapon that builds up the Armour Break status effect. As a two-phase boss fight, having a way to render him helpless while you lay into him is incredibly useful to preserve/restore your resources and make up for the long periods when you're forced to sit in place and react to him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, the Guan Yu duel in DLC 3 is surprisingly cool. It's a satisfying callback to the human Lu Bu fight without being literally the same (I think they only share a few basic moves). Really made him feel as fearsome as he should be in a game like this, but not ludicrously overtuned.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I wish these new weapons perks would have been available at launch, everything felt the same. Metal with glaive and great sword is fun. I played around with a puppet saber fire+water build. It was fun but idk if I call it good.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Finally made it to Dragon King difficulty. One thing that’s really surprised me is that I haven’t had to grind for loot at all. Just using whatever graces have dropped has been enough. The first few missions of dragon king have actually felt easier than heavenly or soaring dragon since I was able to cobble together a (super unoptimized) fuxi set and I have a few premium damage reduction embeds, so I can take a hit. Compared with Stranger of Paradise, where you can barely scratch bosses at all without good gear, it’s much easier to just play. It is annoying to constantly be super under leveled, though. I’m level 180ish doing level 400+ missions and enemies still don’t drop enough qi to catch up quickly.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Yuan Shu didn’t need a second phase. He kicked my but for about 2 hours tonight.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Calidus posted:

I wish these new weapons perks would have been available at launch, everything felt the same. Metal with glaive and great sword is fun. I played around with a puppet saber fire+water build. It was fun but idk if I call it good.

I said this in one of my post when I realized they patched this stuff in. I remember at launch there was almost no reason to pick the big heavy poo poo and there wasn't much diff between the dual varieties. Hopefully in Rise of Ronin they just focus on 2-3 weapon but so far I have only seen a Katana.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Finally made it to Dragon King difficulty. One thing that’s really surprised me is that I haven’t had to grind for loot at all. Just using whatever graces have dropped has been enough. The first few missions of dragon king have actually felt easier than heavenly or soaring dragon since I was able to cobble together a (super unoptimized) fuxi set and I have a few premium damage reduction embeds, so I can take a hit. Compared with Stranger of Paradise, where you can barely scratch bosses at all without good gear, it’s much easier to just play. It is annoying to constantly be super under leveled, though. I’m level 180ish doing level 400+ missions and enemies still don’t drop enough qi to catch up quickly.

It's good to hear the end game grind ain't that steep because literally wolves would be unkillable if they were few lvls above you. That's one game I always recommend whenever it gets brought up, it just got a massive hate bandwagon on it because of the chaos meme and horrible visuals. For DLC, though I would recommeding doing online.

Calidus posted:

Yuan Shu didn’t need a second phase. He kicked my but for about 2 hours tonight.

It's funny when people talk about 2nd phases in Fromsoft games while in Team Ninja games the boss literally recovers all his hp and completely changes his move pool lol.

Getting to the final Taishi Fight, I was like drat this is easy, I thought he would be even easier than Dian Wei but then he suddenyl loving recovers all his hp. I legit hate Taishi Ci because he dashes so loving much after his melee attacks and then he does ranged so it's so hard to close the gap on him. If he refuses to do his red attack, you have to chip him down via hp but he will more likely chip you down.

But I will say this, dlc 2 is actually really good. The Xu Hu/Dian Wei fights in the first dlc were very easy and nothing special. Gan Ning and Taishi Ci were worth the money as boss fights.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 15, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my only complaint in DLC2 is that the final boss is the kind of "i'm going to backflip into the next zip code if you ever try to attack me after a combo" horseshit i loathe from post-friede fromsoft, although debuffs and beast summons at least mitigate it a little

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I remembered why I don’t like ng+, the moral system makes skipping to boss on each level extra hard.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

my only complaint in DLC2 is that the final boss is the kind of "i'm going to backflip into the next zip code if you ever try to attack me after a combo" horseshit i loathe from post-friede fromsoft, although debuffs and beast summons at least mitigate it a little

Yes...really makes hard to stack spirit dmg.

Anyway I feel like I am done with Wulong, I don't know if the third dlc is worth going through. I might just summon someone to rush through it and see the final boss. All in all very good game, lack of enemy variety is terrible compared to Nioh, weapons special passive should have been there at launch. Imo it had some of their better boss fights including Nioh, so I am happy for that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

I'd say Taishi Ci's human form is way worse about this, not least because the backflip is not only fast and unpredictable, but also comes with an immediate, devastating counterattack. In general, I'd say that version of him is significantly overtuned - he hits way too hard for someone who moves that quickly and chaotically.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I decided to do some NG+ before going back to Yaun Shu. Playing around with builds more and I have a few opinions:

- Comboing armor break and fatal strikes deletes bosses. I haven’t tried whips but heavy weapons seem like kings
- Metal’s debuffs don’t drop while toxic is active gets silly really quick
- Light armor will get you one shot my a lot of stuff and seems bad when 10 or 20 points in earth isn’t much when you’re over level 100.
- The parry perk on dual weapons gives you insane spirit. If you’re speced earth you fill a bar so fast.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

NG+ is so much better than at release, you actually get 5 star loot. I gotten more 5 star look and in 2 acts than I did in 5 acts at launch. I’ll finish ng+ with one complete grace set (mix of 4 and 5 star) along with couple 3 peice sets.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mind explaining the Thousand-Mile Journey? How does it relate to the Crouching/Rising/Soaring Dragon difficulty levels, and when's a sane point to jump into it?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind explaining the Thousand-Mile Journey? How does it relate to the Crouching/Rising/Soaring Dragon difficulty levels, and when's a sane point to jump into it?

You start at a camp and have to progress through 9 miles before you fight a boss gauntlet to unlock the next camp every tenth mile. The miles include boss fights, boss gauntlets, short runs through a level, fights against constantly respawning enemies, etc. Completing a stage gives you a bonus that lasts for a certain number of miles. If you die, you can spend special currency to retry a level, if you decide not to, the current ten mile stride gets reset, you restart from camp and you lose all your bonuses. You get very limited healing, so unlocking dragon’s cure uses and keeping them makes a huge difference, but generally it’s not the end of the world if you need to restart. You keep morale between miles up to a camp, so building for morale gain is really important, since you ideally want to be 10 morale higher than the boss rush, which can include some really nasty bosses.

Difficulty does not seem to be affected by ng+ level. It seems like it’s just its own thing. The advice I got on the discord is to do it after you’ve got a good set of equipment from dragon king difficulty. With a crappy fuxi set, I can say that by mile 30 or so, it already feels a good bit harder than early-mid dragon king missions, and 8 star loot apparently won’t drop until after mile 100. Note that dragon king is actually a good bit easier for me than soaring/heavenly dragon because of better gear.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 19, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of grace sets, how important are they in later difficulties? Just asking because I'm very slowly starting to get more options for character sets at a decent rarity (I've been using the Tianzhu Hermit set for a while, and was eyeing up Liu Bei's Man of Benevolence set as an upgrade), but haven't really been putting serious effort into assembling graces. Can I just stick with character sets for the time being? Are grace sets even a mandatory eventual upgrade to them?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Character sets will carry you through NG and most of NG+. By the end of NG+ you probably have a full grace set, but it’s probably not the one that fits you best. I am almost finished with NG+ (1 main mission and 3 DLCs left) I have a grace set that is mostly 5 star gear with a few 4 star items. I don’t have a weapon that fits my preferred build and has the grace to complete the set.

I am not sure if it’s weapon changes, months of nerfs that I didn’t pay attention or just more loot dropping but NG+ is significantly easier now than launch.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Graces have a capstone power that’s typically way better than anything you can get on the character sets. The lower bonuses are also usually slightly stronger. Nuwa set, for example, gives a pretty strong leech effect on damage dealt and higher damage dealt when at max hp, while fuxi gives chunky amounts of damage reduction and increased spirit damage.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I saved dlc 3 for dragon king difficulty and finally finished all the story quests in the game. Yuan Shu sure is a bastard, but after figuring it out over 10-15 tries I actually really enjoyed the fight. It felt much more methodical and about careful positioning than twitchy button mashing action. I imagine he’d be a nightmare if he can show up in a small arena in the thousand mile journey, but in the story fight running around the huge arena and figuring out which attacks can be punished meant it felt a lot more about patience and spacing. His melee combos also felt measured and easy to get the hang of deflecting rather than frantic like a lot of other bosses.

Guan Yu was also a really fun fight, though I think I got really lucky and managed on my first try. This game’s combat systems really are incredible, and I wish more people played it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Finally took down the Soaring Dragon version of (demon) Taishi Ci, and my god, I've never felt so glad to see the back of a boss.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now done the third DLC on Soaring Dragon, and it definitely felt like an easier ride than the second. Certainly didn't have to open my third eye against Yuan Shu like I did against Taishi Ci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Finally decided to return to Wo Long to play all the DLC. So far the first DLC gives off weird vibes. On the one hand, the combat is still amazing and is the reason why I essentially was able to ignore most of the game's issues, on the other hand the levels are hilariously short with checkpoints everywhere. The first two bosses were piss easy too, so I'm currently looking forward to that DLC 2 boss you've been talking about here. But overall I'm glad to be back.