Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

half life mods, and almost every one of them had an active userbase

if i ever get a time machine im going back to 2002-2004 and playing science and industry, vampire slayer, and firearms like god going to a skeeball joint in dogma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's a strange way to spell Starsiege Tribes.

:hmmyes:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Early days of Warcraft 3 custom maps before it was 70% DotA.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
The Hbomberguy Donkey Kong 64 stream was pretty great.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's a strange way to spell Starsiege Tribes.

I cannot refute this.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

if i ever get a time machine im going back to 2002-2004 and playing science and industry, vampire slayer, and firearms like god going to a skeeball joint in dogma

Pirates, Vikings, and Knights

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
There was a period of a month or two when I lived in Japan where me and this autistic kid from Australia helped a bunch of Midwestern trolls adjacent to the Portal of Evil forums achieve 24-hour coverage of their trolling operations against furries on Yahoo Clubs. I was pretty non-online at that point and tired of polite Japanese society so it was just about the most fun I'd had since I started going to punk shows. I'm still friends with some of them, and the autistic kid came to the US and we went to a couple of indie wrestling shows.

Also during that time, I had a couple of online interactions with Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads (my favorite band) that ended with me trying and failing to help her open a Word file on an iMac.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

desert crisis

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
The live thread about balloon boy was pretty fun

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and Subspace Continuum were awesome online games

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Playing Sega's Web Vengeance.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
The first couple of Scientology protests were good,anarchic fun, and a pretty prescient indicator of what the next decade of political activism was going to look like

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Weedlord Bonerhitler.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i miss the days when any forums link you clicked had an 80% chance of being goatse

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Going to Ricochet servers and having tons of people playing it. So many hours of my life wasted playing knockoff Tron. Oh how I miss it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Early days of Warcraft 3 custom maps before it was 70% DotA.

:hai:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
LEAVE BRITTANY ALONE!!!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
We should have listened

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Twitch Plays Pokemon

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I liked playing rust.

Their was something nice about beating people with rocks to take their chicken

I would just trap people in shacks.

put a shack right next to someone s base with me in it voice chat spaming about jesus.

Macatt
May 3, 2005
Triforce in OoT rumors. It felt like being on the verge of uncovering a profound secret that would turn the world on its head.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The second half of March 2020.

Watching the entire world meltdown as we all collectively sat at home doomscrolling endlessly. Then a bunch of crazy photos and videos started popping up like empty Times Square and stuff.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
there will never be a more incredible time to be online that right now

edit: current as of 12/18. If this ever changes I will edit the post to indicate that the incredible content era has ended

other than that, the first time i saw an ANSI graphic on dialup, the first time I fragged someone in Doom on dialup, acidwarp.exe, the BBS door games "bordello" and "Legend of the Red Dragon"

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The second half of March 2020.

Watching the entire world meltdown as we all collectively sat at home doomscrolling endlessly. Then a bunch of crazy photos and videos started popping up like empty Times Square and stuff.

The coolest photo I ever saw was the Muslim mecca being empty and silent during pilgrimage time. Normally dozens of people would be there.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
watching jan 6 live as it happened was pretty hosed up too

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i killed a squad of middleschoolers woh had voicechat on in Warzone and they yelled out with their high pitched voices as i emptied my mag into them

the internet is cool

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Facebook ca. mid-2000s was cool. Back when it was college students only, and all you used it for was actual social networking like goofing around with friends and organizing events.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I used to play every single Thief Fan Mission as they came out

Found judohobo and SA some time after that, but hell no was I gonna pay to post there

The internet felt like a place

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Romney Death Rally was good times. Probably peak Twitter. All downhill since over there.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Pirate versus Ninja, who would win?

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Logging on to AOL and theres a funny story with a drawing of a lady and IS THAT A NIPPLE WHAAAAT

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

X JAKK posted:

Logging on to AOL and theres a funny story with a drawing of a lady and IS THAT A NIPPLE WHAAAAT

I used to read aol humor section, it was called buzzsaw and then it became hecklers online.

I remember my grandma looked over my shoulder as I read a press interview at the white house given by the buddy the dog

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
.9999999... = 1

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The Cooks Source Plagiarism scandal, in which I watched Twitter posts and a shared Google doc update in real time as people identified seemingly random recipe articles that were being lifted by a woman for a small town community magazine. All while I was in Disney World, checking on updates throughout the day. It was the first time I really understood the power of “here comes the Internet.”

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Watching the just released diablo III cinematics with coworkers was lots of stupid fun.

Elf bowling. What a time to be alive!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Gophernet Why what did you want? Certainly not your local BBS because drama ensues and you meet real life people.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
remember MR T ate my balls?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Devils Affricate posted:

Playing DRG/SAM before they nerfed Pentathrust

Knew a guy who was one level away from pentathrust the day they nerfed TP gain on multihit weapon skills and had to suffer through the next 4-5 years of dragoon being total trash :lol:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

I used to play every single Thief Fan Mission as they came out

Found judohobo and SA some time after that, but hell no was I gonna pay to post there

The internet felt like a place

Now it's just a mall we're all stuck in.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’ll never forget the moment the 2020 US presidential race was called for Biden. People were celebrating in the streets all over the country and watching it occur in real time through multiple tweets and news sources was something incredible to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHs6Z_U5E0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaIurXsX4kg

Thing is, we weren’t celebrating Biden in the White House, we were celebrating Trump leaving it. Regardless, it was like experiencing the ending of Return of the Jedi in real life :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Poohs Packin posted:

Pirates, Vikings, and Knights

I remember thinking it was the funniest thing in the world to just immediately toss the treasure chest into the ocean and watch the team I was on freaking out. I don't think I ever legitimately tried to win.

Back in the shoe on head days.