Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Fields is still what he is, a really raw talent that will need the bears to develop him

That’s pretty grim

He was a two year starter in college running a passing heavy offense that required him to progress through reads, diagnose the defense and call audibles. He was a very accurate passer in college.

He’s not Josh Allen or Trey Lance. He was probably the most polished QB in the class after Lawrence. You’re right that the Bears still need to not gently caress him up but he’s not a guy that needed to be taught to play QB from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I didn’t see him in college so I can only judge what I’ve seen from him on the bears

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The consistent knock on Fields throughout the draft process was his ability to get through reads post-snap. The athleticism and arm and accuracy stuff was all on point.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

John Harbaugh has a press conference in 10 minutes and Ravens Twitter is juiced up for him to announce that he fired Greg Roman, which it definitely will not be

Even if we got rid of him it wouldn't do any good. He still has designed and runs the running game pretty competently it's just the playcalling and pass game design he is trash at. It's not a Cam Cameron situation where he basically didn't do anything well. If we lost Roman right here and now it would probably hurt us more than help us so pointless to do until offseason. That's why we need to get rid of Harbaugh. Roman should have been gone at the end of LAST SEASON. Our defense is basically the same as it was under Martindale just this year we've gotten more sacks. We still struggle to generate pressure in a lot of games. That's because we don't have a true monster who other teams are forced to give extra attention to. We have lots of guys who are decent but all of them can be dealt with normally. But once you get that one force to be reckoned with it makes everything else work better.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He was a two year starter in college running a passing heavy offense that required him to progress through reads, diagnose the defense and call audibles. He was a very accurate passer in college.

sure jan

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

The consistent knock on Fields throughout the draft process was his ability to get through reads post-snap. The athleticism and arm and accuracy stuff was all on point.

He definitely wasn’t a perfect prospect but he wasn’t running an extremely simplified one read system like a lot of prospects who get that raw label. He’s just a guy that needs to get better at it which is true if most rookie QBs. Too early to say if he will, but it seems like the game starts to slow down for QBs if they can hang around a few years and his ability to run should buy him him enough time to see if he can improve. Assuming he doesn’t get physically destroyed behind his awful line.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

needs to work on that trebuchetting the ball out of his hand stuff

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cavauro posted:

needs to work on that trebuchetting the ball out of his hand stuff

Nobody should copy Tebow’s throwing mechanics

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah he needs to work on it. how he copies tebow's throwing mechanics but sometimes even worse and no one cares

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Bad news bear

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Matthew Slater has since said laterals were not supposed to be part of the play - which makes sense, it was just a give up run that would have gone nowhere had the Raiders tackling not been so awful. So Stevenson and Meyers were just feeling it.
It looks pretty clear from the releases and downfield blocking of the receivers that something is up. I'm not sure what they are trying to do if it isn't set up some kind of lateral situation.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno why, but the announcer screaming "ON THE FIRST NIGHT OF HANUKKAH!!" Is really funny to me.

:same:

TheHoosier posted:

Mac Jones getting pulped and Vilma’s call sent me into hysterics. I haven’t laughed that hard in so long.

I keep randomly thinking about the oh wow and almost burst out laughing.

The alternate angle that shows how much time Mac had to set up and still got obliterated is :discourse:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Simplex posted:

It looks pretty clear from the releases and downfield blocking of the receivers that something is up. I'm not sure what they are trying to do if it isn't set up some kind of lateral situation.

I think that's just running a play, you look for something to do as a lineman or receiver and hope it pops. Here are the dots again:

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1604635677014036480

If it was a semi-well designed crazy lateral play you're going to have some receiver (or even Mac Jones who was just standing there) on the opposite side of the field at about the numbers shadowing the play from a little behind. The idea is to suck up the D to one side of the field and then switch it and no one's in the way. Which actually might have had a chance of working since, the D was all over where the ball was--because who in the world tries this in a tie game?

The plan is generally not to throw the ball back to the deepest guy on the field by 20 yards unless you have no other choice. And there were definitely choices made here.

*-source: I am an aficionado of this play that has worked in the NFL exactly twice

e: someone pointed it out earlier but the 10 dot just stopping is hilarious

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 19, 2022

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I think that's just running a play, you look for something to do as a lineman or receiver and hope it pops. Here are the dots again:

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1604635677014036480

If it was a semi-well designed crazy lateral play you're going to have some receiver (or even Mac Jones who was just standing there) on the opposite side of the field at about the numbers shadowing the play from a little behind. The idea is to suck up the D to one side of the field and then switch it and no one's in the way. Which actually might have had a chance of working since, the D was all over where the ball was--because who in the world tries this in a tie game?

The plan is generally not to throw the ball back to the deepest guy on the field by 20 yards unless you have no other choice. And there were definitely choices made here.

It's not a wacky, scramble drill play they trying to run. It's a normal play they have for this situation, plus the instructions to keep the ball alive if they've got a chance. Watch the 3 receivers, 15, 11 and 16. They don't try to sell the vertical at all and set up to block for the run straight away. But then their blocking effort doesn't even approach half-assed. They look like they are not trying to get engaged with the defenders.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

My analysis of the play:

Jakobi Meyers is an imbecile

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

My analysis of the play:

Jakobi Meyers is an imbecile

My analysis:

:lol: and also :lmao:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Definitely my favorite aspect of that hilarious disaster of a play is that it was only possible in the first place because the Raiders were so terrible at tackling that a give-up draw play got far enough downfield Patriots players decided on their own they could lateral the rest of their way to victory. They rope-a-doped New England, and won, by sucking at defense.

Also, Ravens fans should be more appreciative of Greg Roman given that he already helped them win a Super Bowl. :argh:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hughmoris posted:

I don't know what the answer is for the Bears offense. Sure, Fields has some pretty runs and is racking up rushing yards but that isn't going to consistently win them games. Especially after the defense gets more tape on his latest run-heavy style. He has failed to break 170 passing yards in 4 of his last 5 games.

the bears haven't been able to pass the ball in 100 years and shouldn't bother . they suddenly realized they have one of the best rushing offenses in the league despite no talent and the entire defense knowing whats coming. the only downside is fields can't get flags because he's too much of a badass and the refs are gonna let him get crippled

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
OSUs receivers have been so good for so long and the NFL QBs OSU produces so bad for so long it’s amazing teams draft them high ever

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

i am a moron posted:

OSUs receivers have been so good for so long and the NFL QBs OSU produces so bad for so long it’s amazing teams draft them high ever

Between 1982 and 2019 no OSU QB was picked higher than the third round so until very recently nobody was drafting them high.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yes it’s amazing they’re getting drafted before the sixth round, and I say this as an OSU fan. I kinda hoped Cardale would pan out but that was also because watching him go vertical those three games was amazing. Everything else is absolute system QB stuff, their run of skill positions for like twenty plus years has been absolutely insane.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1605059077809221632?t=w3XGei-7NmdImfoyLWvARw&s=19

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
https://twitter.com/jonas_shaffer/status/1604944151619211264?s=20&t=n-sdIdZPa0g1axyhTtJb4Q

The full quote from John Harbaugh about the Ravens' approach to the 4th quarter. Pure gobbledygook. This man has no business running a team.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1604711303741841408

This seems. Uh. Not good?

Especially with the massive uncalled DPI a couple plays later.

I'm a ref in the UK and what's weird is international ref mechanics tell you to stick your arm out down the sideline if the receiver is off the line and give no signal if they're on the line, so that's there no ambiguity. Also you're never supposed to reply to a question "am I on/off the line" with a yes or no because you might be misunderstood.

So either the ref here forgot to give the signal or the NFL doesn't have an "off the line" signal which seems weird to me

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This woman...

https://twitter.com/BabzOnTheMic/status/1605352605923696640

Apparently this was this dude's first time at an NFL game. Kraft reached out and gave him tickets for this weekend.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This woman...

https://twitter.com/BabzOnTheMic/status/1605352605923696640

Apparently this was this dude's first time at an NFL game. Kraft reached out and gave him tickets for this weekend.

Man did Kraft really need to pile on? The guy's already had a rough time.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hello, Las Vegas resident, here are two tickets to a game in Foxboro where if you can book a flight to travel on Christmas weekend, it's projected to be really loving miserable outside.

I'd No Thanks that offer. Or sell the tickets.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I have been offered tickets from 2 of my friends so far, I have... declined

Lower bowl endzone seats are down to $90

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

going from one group of crazed middle aged racists to another. poor man

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

i submitted for a ticket contest for the next Broncos Chargers game but i wont win becuase god loves me

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The proper course of action here is to force the women to go to a Patriots game.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MJeff posted:

The proper course of action here is to force the women to go to a Patriots game.

agreed, punishment fits the crime

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

Lower bowl endzone seats are down to $90

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Same here

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hello, Las Vegas resident, here are two tickets to a game in Foxboro where if you can book a flight to travel on Christmas weekend, it's projected to be really loving miserable outside.

I'd No Thanks that offer. Or sell the tickets.

That's only -23 C, just throw an extra layer on it's not that bad

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
It's going to be 62 degrees this Saturday in Santa Clara, where the San Francisco 49ers will be playing the Washington Commanders. Sorry for your winter, Least Coast!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
It's currently 13 degrees where I am. I went outside in a t-shirt and can confirm that people are just being babies as I can no longer feel the cold.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

3 DONG HORSE posted:

i submitted for a ticket contest for the next Broncos Chargers game but i wont win becuase god loves me

if God loved you, you wouldn't be a broncos fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
drat sure is gonna suck to be nice and comfortable and have circulation in all of my digits while I watch the Lions play the Bears on New Years' Day. I sure do hate being a fan of a team that plays in a dome. :sigh: