Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'm intrigued by this new movement, which is clearly why I have all this literature about it strewn around my house. Clearly.

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Trying very hard to recall a single piece of clothing I own that's not entirely utilitarian as I ponder trying out this trend.

Uh.... I own a mauve sweatband? It has a hockey logo on it but I could turn it around maybe...

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Starts list titled 'things I got going for me besides thought'.

Stares at blank page for unbearably long time.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'm still trying to understand the no thoughts idea (see?) but appreciating sex symbols??? Heck yeah I can do that. And I like to go to the source, the prototype bombshell: Mae West

Mae West invented sex, as far as the history of AV media is concerned. She was there in the very beginning of everything, a vaudeville vamp turned Broadway darling who shimmied next to Ed Wynn and Al Jolson. Then in 1926 her Broadway play, entitled "Sex", was shut down for obscenity and she spent time in jail for it. After that, she belonged to the world.

The great secret of Mae West is that she went to Hollywood at the age of 40. But she managed to keep her age a winking secret so well that she was cast in leading lady roles throughout the 1930's. Along with essentially inventing modern American style inuendos ('come up and see me some time' now being part of the collective subconscious for almost a century)she also cultivated even further the image of a public spirited firebrand with complex opinions ("I believe in censorship. I made a fortune out of it.") Her over-the-top feminine charisma and the boldness hiding just underneath it fit perfectly into the new media juggernaut taking over the planet. She was especially well known for her collaboration with W.C. Fields in 1940 (even though she didn't really get along with him), but hardly anybody knew she was 47 when she made My Little Chickadee:

West was one of the most influential figures in early cinema history and the reach of her impact is impossible to determine, but not just aesthetically. She was also the hub of immense controversy that advanced the public discussion of sex, rights and power. Variety once called her "...the biggest conversation-provoker, free-space grabber, and all-around box office bet in the country. She's as hot an issue as Hitler."

That's her, in court again, in a case about profits for a film. She went to court countless times, so often it became a joke in her movies too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1TaMQBnl-Q

Mae West eventually stood for a lot, not just sexual expression but a personal independence derived from it. And she remained daring. At the age of 80 she made a baudy comedy film, Sextette:

It looks ridiculous but also has Ringo Starr, Alice Cooper and Dom Deluise in it, so, I kinda have to see it? That's Mae West in a nutshell, a must-see event of a person.

I love how Mae West used her carefully crafted sex symbol image to evade detection as the shrewd operator she really was. Her wordplay showed she could play dumb and smart at the same time, which is intriguing in this context. Oh and here are some quote macros, that's how this works right? I'm learning!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Picks all the pink rubber bands out of the rainbow pack, looks at handful
Okay beard... maybe, just maybe this will work.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

drat it!

Maybe if I try to think of a... no DAMMIT I can't solve this one by ideas because those are thoughts. gently caress!

This is hard.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Fistful of Dolls is good but the original is better.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sextette is on youtube btw, and it's very silly fun.

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

'The Imbo Spectrum' sounds like an Ursula K Le Guin story. Probably a really fun one.

Sig by Heather Papps