Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

looked them up and lol

:lol:

Clearly that company needs to hire a dedicated piss inspector that goes around to each employee every hour, on the hour and taps them on the shoulder. "Need to take a piss? Just go."

"No it's okay, you're an adult now. You can actually just go and take a piss. No you don't need a hall pass."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DancingShade posted:

Clearly that company needs to hire a dedicated piss inspector that goes around to each employee every hour, on the hour and taps them on the shoulder. "Need to take a piss? Just go."

"No it's okay, you're an adult now. You can actually just go and take a piss. No you don't need a hall pass."

the tech bubble taught us that they are cults all the way down

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

this next recession is going to be bad I think :( there were serious problems with the market even before covid that were able to float a little bit longer thanks to gigantic capital injections but it's all finally starting to come due

that said I can't believe anyone didn't see these tech layoffs coming, and there are going to be more and its going to be worse: so many firms (the giants included) produce worthless products, copies of better products, or products that are completely unable to be effectively marketized or turn a profit. I think if you're in a computer touching job and you produce something that isn't completely critical for an industry or already has an established and consistent user base you'll want to start looking for something else. I suspect anything that runs on ad revenue is going to see massive layoffs as well, but maybe not as soon as the others.

meta especially is completely hosed for the obvious reasons

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I think if you're in a computer touching job and you produce something that isn't completely critical for an industry or already has an established and consistent user base you'll want to start looking for something else. I suspect anything that runs on ad revenue is going to see massive layoffs as well, but maybe not as soon as the others.

you can generalize this to “if you’re in the private sector and your job is in one of the business’s cost centers, hold on to your butt”

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

you can generalize this to “if you’re in the private sector and your job is in one of the business’s cost centers, hold on to your butt”

yeah very true, well put

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

this next recession is going to be bad I think :( there were serious problems with the market even before covid that were able to float a little bit longer thanks to gigantic capital injections but it's all finally starting to come due

that said I can't believe anyone didn't see these tech layoffs coming, and there are going to be more and its going to be worse: so many firms (the giants included) produce worthless products, copies of better products, or products that are completely unable to be effectively marketized or turn a profit. I think if you're in a computer touching job and you produce something that isn't completely critical for an industry or already has an established and consistent user base you'll want to start looking for something else. I suspect anything that runs on ad revenue is going to see massive layoffs as well, but maybe not as soon as the others.

meta especially is completely hosed for the obvious reasons
I’d agree. and with how absurdly bloated the ad-tech unicorn vc industry got there’s a lot of blood to shed and it should have been obvious those Sillycon Valley heydays were numbered

the fun question is: are rents going to drop in Williamsburg/Brooklyn, LA, Portland, Seattle, Denver, or Bay Area?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Xaris posted:

the fun question is: are rents going to drop in Williamsburg/Brooklyn, LA, Portland, Seattle, Denver, or Bay Area?

I’m a public accountant in Denver and am pretty committed to my resignation date next Thursday. I’ll be out just as tax season hits. gonna spend the spring job hunting and then likely just sell everything and move. housing is out of reach here and bosses just keep saying “wait it will get better!”

I’ve been waiting for 15 years. I don’t weep for the retiring capitalist class wondering who is going to take over their businesses while also having roommates. it’s dumb. let me buy a loving home and I’ll be yours forever but otherwise kindly gently caress off with your “nobody wants to work anymore!” dogshit.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

I’d agree. and with how absurdly bloated the ad-tech unicorn vc industry got there’s a lot of blood to shed and it should have been obvious those Sillycon Valley heydays were numbered

Seattle rents seem to be falling noticeably compared to july when I was last looking.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

putting my money on: no, no, no, yes, yes, yes but barely

source: vibes

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

putting my money on: no, no, no, yes, yes, yes but barely

source: vibes

Portland is in a weird place where it’s over priced but also an escape hatch from even more overpriced seattle/Bay Area/LA

But the city’s taken a huge repetitional hit in the last couple years and it’s not as shiny an escape hatch

As far as I can tell everything is holding steady price wise for now but given it’s peripheral status to Seattle/Bay Area I could see the upcoming tech massacre hitting relatively harder

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

Seattle rents seem to be falling noticeably compared to july when I was last looking.

I've noticed this too, although housing prices are still insane.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

as a computer toucher who works on a lot of network infrastructure stuff, i feel pretty untouchable.

::company institutes hiring freeze and many of our customers start to fold::

nevertheless,

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Fintech company I work for hit us with the "Hard Decisions will have to be made in the future" which everyone knows probably means layoffs lol. Also let us know on the same day they are getting out of crypto which was phenomenally stupid of them to do in the first place and it's cool to know that the people who came up with that initiative will likely never see any repercussions while everyone else gets hosed

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ghosthotel posted:

Fintech company I work for hit us with the "Hard Decisions will have to be made in the future" which everyone knows probably means layoffs lol. Also let us know on the same day they are getting out of crypto which was phenomenally stupid of them to do in the first place and it's cool to know that the people who came up with that initiative will likely never see any repercussions while everyone else gets hosed

those people were undoubtedly rewarded and lauded for their efforts at the time too.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

That is absolutely a given. I feel bad for anyone who occupies the same role as me who decided to join the incubation team for their crypto program because they likely have huge targets on their backs now. When offered to me I said "hell no" in the politest way I could because there was no way I was gonna attach myself to crypto in 2022 lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fintech

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

what kind of returns can you offer?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How many of the layoffs at the big tech companies are PMs/marketing/sales/etc instead of people actually touching computers?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

a microcosm of the american bubble of scams, make-work and landlords

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

OP, I'm sorry but we've taken a look at the budget for next year and we're just not going to be able to get new posts for threads like these. Cutbacks, you understand.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

One of my pals works in fintech and while he has made good money the job is pretty abusive. occasionally it sends him into depression spirals. The past few months every time the gang is supposed to get together he says work is on fire and is too burned out and tired to show up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

OP, I'm sorry but we've taken a look at the budget for next year and we're just not going to be able to get new posts for threads like these. Cutbacks, you understand.

im an essential poster

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

How many of the layoffs at the big tech companies are PMs/marketing/sales/etc instead of people actually touching computers?

from friends at some of the big boys, “no wait I’m a real programmer!!” isn’t a get out of jail free card like in past contractions. the cuts are far more even.

loving everyone got drunk on near zero interest rates and overhired, from big tech on down, and it turns out that “actually making money” is more important than we thought in 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Too many of you still have jobs

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh poo poo everyone keep it down the CEO's here

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CongoJack posted:

One of my pals works in fintech and while he has made good money the job is pretty abusive. occasionally it sends him into depression spirals. The past few months every time the gang is supposed to get together he says work is on fire and is too burned out and tired to show up.

poor programmers making $8000000 a year for tools that let banks target the most vulnerable people for predatory loans ;_;

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

AnimeIsTrash posted:

poor programmers making $8000000 a year for tools that let banks target the most vulnerable people for predatory loans ;_;

yea pretty much, we have all been hinting that he should look for a different job while things were good but I don’t think he even tried. I feel bad for my friend but not that bad. Every day he gets up to drive to the office and maintain a little corner of the misery machine when he doesn’t have to.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yospos bittt

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

from friends at some of the big boys, “no wait I’m a real programmer!!” isn’t a get out of jail free card like in past contractions. the cuts are far more even.

loving everyone got drunk on near zero interest rates and overhired, from big tech on down, and it turns out that “actually making money” is more important than we thought in 2021
living in the bay area, its going to be interesting what happens now that the mike judge sillycon valley unicorn heyday is just a distant fever dream that's too surreal to have ever existed. there's still a lot of inertial money and moneyed techies, and i still see google or apple or facebook buses every day. but i gotta figure it's on the decline

unfortunately all the low-priced diners and cheap dives are all gone and replaced with $20/drink gin n tonic bars with farm2table farmhouse chic reclaimed wood and polished aluminum siding. these were largely kept afloat due to cashing in on all the white midwestern transplants coming here with their facebook job or w/e.

all the old affordable to masses stuff isn't coming back, and now that base is (potentially) declining, so ????

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

all the old affordable to masses stuff isn't coming back, and now that base is (potentially) declining, so ????

$4 gin and tonic bars with reclaimed wood and polished aluminum siding

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

currently hoping that "maintenance guy at a car parts factory, but with a fancy college degree who can work with industrial computers" is a career that won't get hosed too hard

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

currently hoping that "maintenance guy at a car parts factory, but with a fancy college degree who can work with industrial computers" is a career that won't get hosed too hard

I'm a maintenance mechanic and manufacturing hiring is insane right now and wages are probably 50% higher than they were 3-5 years ago

Unfortunately this still means you are going to average $16-$20 for unskilled/entry level positions but anyone with maintenance experience, especially PLCs, is in a pretty great spot.

It ill just never match one of those $200,000 jobs where you google routers an hour a week and I'm honestly not sure how any job would do in an extremely bad recession. If car demand drops off a cliff there might be plant closures that get you but there is a lot of onshoring behind the scenes in manufacturing right now so there should be something available if you have the right skills. "essential" things like medication or food won't really be shutting down unless it's vanity stuff like prescription skin creams or candy or something.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean if you can work with or learn to work with other industrial computers then I'm sure you'll have something to do, especially if they do actually start having to make more here.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm a maintenance mechanic and manufacturing hiring is insane right now and wages are probably 50% higher than they were 3-5 years ago

Unfortunately this still means you are going to average $16-$20 for unskilled/entry level positions but anyone with maintenance experience, especially PLCs, is in a pretty great spot.
Even the increased entry level wages isn't enough to get anyone in the door. Why would they when you can make the same in retail?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

drat, I just started working again a couple months ago too.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

TehSaurus posted:

I’m also a bit concerned. I’m part of a strategic change program which is code for lmao bye because we are still a few years from generating positive value. I suppose I could always go back to a product team, but if the rest of the big tech shops are having huge layoffs I might actually have to compete with good people?

Is your strategic change automating, outsourcing or "capability building" (e.g, developing methods to get people to quit and be replaced by lower paid workers)?

If so, good news!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Telluric Whistler posted:

Is your strategic change automating, outsourcing or "capability building" (e.g, developing methods to get people to quit and be replaced by lower paid workers)?

If so, good news!

It isn’t any of that, happily. Basically my industry has a giant sustainability problem in that there aren’t enough computers on the planet to continue to perform my old job function. I’m working on a capability to do the same work with fewer computers.

You could actually spin it as an environmental win if we weren’t going to just piss away the extra efficiency on more capitalism!

I suspect that compute resources in general will get a lot cheaper if there is a giant tech crash, though, so the business case will definitely change. At least my company makes an actual useful product instead of just stealing money like fintechs do, so there’s a chance I don’t get hosed at least.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

drat lol they just sent an email TODAY saying, with immediate effect, we're on a hiring/promotion/salary increase freeze. merry christmas!!!!!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

drat lol they just sent an email TODAY saying, with immediate effect, we're on a hiring/promotion/salary increase freeze. merry christmas!!!!!

they tried this towards the middle of the year right before promotions at my company. the justification was something like "oh yeah we have to make sure only people who have proved themselves get promoted"

the result was a bunch of mid and upper mid tier employees leaving lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I feel like that is going to be harder right now since they’ll be competing with more people who just got laid off but that’s pure speculation on my part