Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Kreeblah posted:

:laffo:

Even when people were still pretending to care about COVID, they couldn't turn a profit on their direct-to-consumer division (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+).

paying for streaming in the age of tiktok lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Palladium posted:

does tiktok have live nba games

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Palladium posted:

Not only that, but nine figures worth of suckers paying for their streaming poo poo, and it's still not enough. Paying out the rear end for Fox was such a dumb loving decision. Especially since a lot of that deal was funded with . . . you guessed it: debt! Now their employees get to eat poo poo as a result.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Minecraft Holmes posted:

sounds like your ex-coworker is about to make a lot of money from a lawsuit lol

Why would you think this?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ghosthotel posted:

got caught in this big layoff today

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/02/08/affirm-cuts-19percent-of-workforce-shares-tank-on-earnings-miss.html

the scene in the group chat was kind of wild, we got the announcement of the workforce cut and we’re told that we’d find out in several
minutes if we we’re getting laid off like it was a lottery. Then whoever was in charge of revoking privileges on our work station got a little trigger happy and people started disappearing from
the work chat in the middle of being confused and asking what the hell was happening. Id already been planning on going somewhere else so it didn’t piss me off that much but uh my coworker who gives birth in 5 days was not thrilled.
Weird how women on/about to go on maternity leave get laid off so much.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

The bourgeoisie cannot exist without constantly revolutionising the instruments of production, and thereby the relations of production, and with them the whole relations of society. Conservation of the old modes of production in unaltered form, was, on the contrary, the first condition of existence for all earlier industrial classes. Constant revolutionising of production, uninterrupted disturbance of all social conditions, everlasting uncertainty and agitation distinguish the bourgeois epoch from all earlier ones. All fixed, fast-frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind.

goddammit, he does it again

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Turns out the Communist Manifesto slaps and Marx had some serious posting energy.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Minecraft Holmes posted:

sounds like your ex-coworker is about to make a lot of money from a lawsuit lol
Unless they sent her an email saying “we are laying you off because you are going to have a baby” she’s SOL. You can discriminate against protected classes all you want unless you are a complete moron and put it in writing.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/ad_investing22/status/1623707606153039873

https://twitter.com/latestly/status/1623716234469724160

https://twitter.com/FCNightingale/status/1623714737891471364

https://twitter.com/Tiny_Boxes/status/1623716426853883904

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

cat botherer posted:

Weird how women on/about to go on maternity leave get laid off so much.

This also happened this week with a guy on my team who was out on medical leave for surgery when we had our latest bloodletting 2 weeks ago. HR was basically like "cool, you're back from surgery? you're fired."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

getting fired when you got pregnant may be a crime in like, france or something

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

lol that godaddy still exists. also lmao at a cannabis company losing hundreds of millions of dollars. it must be run by mouth breathing morons

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol that godaddy still exists. also lmao at a cannabis company losing hundreds of millions of dollars. it must be run by mouth breathing morons

I can’t speak to a Canadian cannabis company but the cannabis industry in Oregon is in absolute chaos because they’re significantly over producing and margins from growers to retailers are just evaporating. I think that’s as much a problem of no legal export market though, for example legal weed in Nevada is really crappy and expensive because it all gets grown indoors and they can’t import from CA or OR (at least for the legal market)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I can’t speak to a Canadian cannabis company but the cannabis industry in Oregon is in absolute chaos because they’re significantly over producing and margins from growers to retailers are just evaporating. I think that’s as much a problem of no legal export market though, for example legal weed in Nevada is really crappy and expensive because it all gets grown indoors and they can’t import from CA or OR (at least for the legal market)

but cali is right next door lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

but cali is right next door lmao

Yeah but part of legalization is none of it can cross state lines, so a glut in CA or OR does nothing for the legal market in NV

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there is a loving crazy glut in the weed market, even in illegal states. prices are 25% of what they were a decade ago

if you were a company that ramped up expecting prices to remain similar to what they were upon legalization, you're getting wrecked

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Vicky3 mod where all supply chains and laws are modern day cannibus reskins when?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

i say swears online posted:

there is a loving crazy glut in the weed market, even in illegal states. prices are 25% of what they were a decade ago

if you were a company that ramped up expecting prices to remain similar to what they were upon legalization, you're getting wrecked

25% of pre legal would be really high prices in Oklahoma. We are straddling the 5-10% line now.

Add the race to the bottom problem to the market saturation problem and consider that legal banking for marijuana companies in the US still doesn't exist

Plus, all the early investment in these companies was hinging on the idea that obama or trump would reform the regulatory environment; it is clear that Biden won't. With no end in sight to the banking issue there is no future for big cannabis to exist in.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Wish I knew where this cheap cannabis was in CA. The grower I know is now asking $800 for 16oz, which lol, lmao no.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Wish I knew where this cheap cannabis was in CA. The grower I know is now asking $800 for 16oz, which lol, lmao no.

that's cheap to me, dammit

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
*flashes back to paying $300 an oz 15 years ago*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i still remember the one time i paid $20/g when i was a teen (it was really great tho)

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

i say swears online posted:

that's cheap to me, dammit

Raskolnikov38 posted:

*flashes back to paying $300 an oz 15 years ago 5 years ago*

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Dispensaries here are desperate enough to do $1 gram specials sometimes

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

This same grower was $250/lb just last year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Demilich posted:

That's still like less than $2/g. Legal dispensary weed in NJ is like $15/g, but they're sold in 3.5g quantities

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Smoking a recreational drug that prevents you from getting a good job seems like a very smart thing to do in a recession..

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

Smoking a recreational drug that prevents you from getting a good job seems like a very smart thing to do in a recession..

shut up narc

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

War and Pieces posted:

the only jobs that test are either transit or terrible

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

War and Pieces posted:

The only places that drug test are like mc donalds, taco bell etc. and you can just use synthetic urine on the test.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

the only jobs that test are either transit or terrible

Blue collar jobs are peak employment.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

War and Pieces posted:

the best jobs don't drug test

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

War and Pieces posted:

Drug tests, like any tests, can be passed by simply knowing the right answers.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Koishi Komeiji posted:

The only places that drug test are like mc donalds, taco bell etc. and you can just use synthetic urine on the test.

Even places like that don’t even really bother screening for marijuana anymore. It’s hard enough to find people willing to work those jobs as it is

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Usually fast food never tests and rarely background checks

Its too expensive per employee when turnover is that high

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Have a friend who works for a non-profit that takes a ton of federal money and so they have to drug test as a matter of course

Even they don’t screen for weed anymore because it would make hiring impossible

Funny story though. A few years back my work got a contract to do some stuff for Walmart and at least at the time they forced vendors to drug screen anyone who would be handling their data. I wasn’t involved with that project but I had a few grumpy as gently caress colleagues

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Even they don’t screen for weed anymore because it would make hiring impossible

well drat there goes my only advantage of orger applicants, glad I got into the trades when I did

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I once interned for a systems integrator, and I was assigned to work on-site at a pharmaceutical manufacturing facility as a contractor. Not only did I get tested for the job but I had to get tested on premises to be permitted onto the pharmaceutical campus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..