Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

things are really bad right now. mostly senior roles and the requirements for those roles are up across the board, if they're ultimately still filling them

some people in various internet circles seem to think it'll get better in january when headcount and budget come back but i'm not so sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

triple sulk posted:

things are really bad right now. mostly senior roles and the requirements for those roles are up across the board, if they're ultimately still filling them

some people in various internet circles seem to think it'll get better in january when headcount and budget come back but i'm not so sure

I think it’s gonna be painful now that interest is up, people are drawing down on capital investment, and the money printer is off so no more discount/free money for investors.

I haven’t done any industry budgeting this year but I can’t imagine it’s looking too optimistic

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I work for a contracting company that deals with a diverse portfolio of workplaces, I figure that I'm in a layoff proof industry because we're already helping companies layoff their employees.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

lol that’s cope, i don’t know anyone whose budget and opens for next year haven’t been cut to the bone already. and everyone expects to give up even more sooner than later.

it’s ugly and will only get uglier soon.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

yeah, my boss got dragged into something today forcing him to cancel a bunch of stuff we had planned, and I assume it is budget related.

we could have dramatically reduced costs by eliminating a bunch of unnecessary office space but lmao no we have to try and force everyone back to the plague pits

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it'll be interesting if we get a dotcom 2.0 web3.0 bust

there's a lot different than the first dotcom. but also a lot of similarities: i.e. a big chunk of tech based off VC-capital infusions, "take loss now and grow our userbase!", unprofitable products, and having employees live where housing is $3000/month.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Dec 23, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

My company's done hiring freezes and with things looking grim, just before the holidays they announced an r&d group got an nft promotional gimmick project budget approved. our core business isn't related; they just think it'll be a marketing gimmick. they're also trying to budget metaverse junk. pretty frustrating to see money getting flushed down the toilet right as the economy takes an obvious turn.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

My company's done hiring freezes and with things looking grim, just before the holidays they announced an r&d group got an nft promotional gimmick project budget approved. our core business isn't related; they just think it'll be a marketing gimmick. they're also trying to budget metaverse junk. pretty frustrating to see money getting flushed down the toilet right as the economy takes an obvious turn.

Yeah. Where I work the manufacturing employees are the morlock underclass and I can't even get a $2,000 plumbing repair to restore hot water access to part of my building. I had to have "a talk" after expensing a $100 lunch for 10 people.

Meanwhile we lost, easily, eight figures on a failed product launch that came complete with flights and a week at a resort for over 60 people to "Get In The Mindset" or something and practice selling their product for 5 nights and six days. We also didn't use our already existing multiple teams of salesmen all complete with their own executive teams, we created a new one. We didn't want to lose any of them since they were The Elite New Team when the product was delayed six months so they all got the maximum commission bonuses two times despite not having anything to sell and no work to do. Their starting pay was $100,000 and their product VP makes $500,000.

I feel like this kind of poo poo is going to be punished by a severe enough recession but this just means the actual profitable parts of our business are wiped out too so then even our constructive employees are out of work trying to fight for fewer positions at whatever companies survive the obliteration of the idiots that don't understand finances but were poo poo out by business schools for the past 20 years.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lmao

https://www.businessinsider.com/ex-meta-employees-peculiar-packages-emoji-company-2022-12

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

should've sent a bag of dirt with the word puto written on it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

should've sent a bag of dirt with the word puto written on it

one of my favorite pics of all time

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/automated-mcdonald-texas-17672788.php

Texas town with famously racist name origin fully automates McDonald's. happy holidays

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speng31b posted:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/automated-mcdonald-texas-17672788.php

Texas town with famously racist name origin fully automates McDonald's. happy holidays

[ctrl+f "white s"]

yeah there it is

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

fema’s hiring and is seemingly undergoing a demographic shift towards the younger at least in some field staff groups idk how hq in dc works

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Here we go! Woke up by an east coast coworker “did you see the email?” Looks like the next few hours are going to be a lot of fun. Not sure why you’d send out a global email the morning of the significant workforce reduction (~500 jobs out of 4000 or so total) but it’s going to be a fun morning for sure

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I guess my company/director had the uh, courtesy? of telling the laid off people quietly then had a meeting where they told us "if you're hearing this, you're still working here."

I joined expecting layoffs, didn't quite think it would be first year but hey, now to see how many rounds I survive I guess

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I guess my company/director had the uh, courtesy? of telling the laid off people quietly then had a meeting where they told us "if you're hearing this, you're still working here."

I joined expecting layoffs, didn't quite think it would be first year but hey, now to see how many rounds I survive I guess

Yeah based on reading tea leaves I feel fairly certain I’ve survived this morning but I assume there will be another round at least if not more, knew it was coming but it’s still stressful. Been a good ten years since I’ve been through a layoff cycle…

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah based on reading tea leaves I feel fairly certain I’ve survived this morning but I assume there will be another round at least if not more, knew it was coming but it’s still stressful. Been a good ten years since I’ve been through a layoff cycle…

once in a lifetime layoff cycles

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
poo poo, I've lived three lifetimes in the last seven years, then.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Here we go! Woke up by an east coast coworker “did you see the email?” Looks like the next few hours are going to be a lot of fun. Not sure why you’d send out a global email the morning of the significant workforce reduction (~500 jobs out of 4000 or so total) but it’s going to be a fun morning for sure

I heard that this happened to M$/Amazon employees here in Seattle.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I heard that this happened to M$/Amazon employees here in Seattle.

Yeah for sure. My employer is a bit smaller but also headquartered in Seattle so probably won’t make the press as we went private last year. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I survived… for now. lovely feeling tho

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tempora Mutantur posted:

This is what happened with me today. Surprise team meeting with people 3 or 4 spots up the org chart from my boss so my first thought was "ah gently caress it's a mass layoff for everyone on the call" but it was just to tell us that some people in the group had already been laid off and that was all for our team (this quarter anyway).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I still ain’t found a job but I got really close like 3 times. I shouldn’t have quit in the summer but I hated it!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

6 month freeze on all hiring except critical roles which must be approved by c-suite... lol. i think my team is safe from cuts but who knows!!!

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/srslyberserk/status/1616953738517700609

"Eat poo poo lol!"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
As the sole breadwinner for my house and as someone who knows his own productivity has gone down since having a kid last year, I live in constant fear (real or imagined) of getting laid off. Super glad I clicked on this thread lol. Hoping that the fact that I work in manufacturing, albeit as a computer toucher, rather than tech or finance gives me some job security. Condolences and good luck to anyone ITT who gets hit.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Laughing my loving rear end off

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

there's 3 different headlines for the Newell cuts, the ones that mention Sharpie, the ones that mention Yankee Candle, and the ones that mention they're a Rubbermaid parent company.

Newell - 13% of office
https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1617557503499190272

wonder if this is retaliation for not sending leopard tanks
https://twitter.com/markets/status/1617578043207188480

Spotify - 6%
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1617585542178144268

Gemini crypto - 10%
https://twitter.com/AshiCapital/status/1617623969217105920

Oglethorpe has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Jan 23, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
All their stocks are up. Layoffs are good.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

laid off 11,000 people to invest in AI

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1617526645296082945

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

All their stocks are up. Layoffs are good.

that’s right. more layoffs = more money for buybacks

anyways anyone work for any nyse listed corporation and getting laid off? thinking about buying $$$$$$ in short term calls

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

my tech company hasn't laid anyone off and has even been hiring the technical recruiters laid off from other tech companies. I am very pleased we are hiring people to layoff later when the next stock market report is due.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

KirbyKhan posted:

Laughing my loving rear end off

$500 severance, :wow:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I got wind and report from. Shift Lead. The [Regional Grocery Brand] is converting it's staff to do grocery shopping in house. So everybody from regional director on down for the ax. It looks like if you wanna keep shopping you can just switch apps. I found a regular-degular job so I'm just gonna shoplift until the proscribed date.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm just gonna shoplift until the proscribed date.

you mean you're going to help dynamically reallocate inventory to improve storage capacity availability

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
No, I'm gonna take food and put it into my car after fiddling with the kiosk thingy to make bloop bloop noises.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I have a meeting coming up titled "staffing" so that should be fun

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Phew, turns out my boss quit. Hatebag stays winning

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hatebag posted:

Phew, turns out my boss quit. Hatebag stays winning

Owned

Adbot