Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

this next recession is going to be bad I think :( there were serious problems with the market even before covid that were able to float a little bit longer thanks to gigantic capital injections but it's all finally starting to come due

that said I can't believe anyone didn't see these tech layoffs coming, and there are going to be more and its going to be worse: so many firms (the giants included) produce worthless products, copies of better products, or products that are completely unable to be effectively marketized or turn a profit. I think if you're in a computer touching job and you produce something that isn't completely critical for an industry or already has an established and consistent user base you'll want to start looking for something else. I suspect anything that runs on ad revenue is going to see massive layoffs as well, but maybe not as soon as the others.

meta especially is completely hosed for the obvious reasons
I’d agree. and with how absurdly bloated the ad-tech unicorn vc industry got there’s a lot of blood to shed and it should have been obvious those Sillycon Valley heydays were numbered

the fun question is: are rents going to drop in Williamsburg/Brooklyn, LA, Portland, Seattle, Denver, or Bay Area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

poor programmers making $8000000 a year for tools that let banks target the most vulnerable people for predatory loans ;_;

yospos bittt

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

from friends at some of the big boys, “no wait I’m a real programmer!!” isn’t a get out of jail free card like in past contractions. the cuts are far more even.

loving everyone got drunk on near zero interest rates and overhired, from big tech on down, and it turns out that “actually making money” is more important than we thought in 2021
living in the bay area, its going to be interesting what happens now that the mike judge sillycon valley unicorn heyday is just a distant fever dream that's too surreal to have ever existed. there's still a lot of inertial money and moneyed techies, and i still see google or apple or facebook buses every day. but i gotta figure it's on the decline

unfortunately all the low-priced diners and cheap dives are all gone and replaced with $20/drink gin n tonic bars with farm2table farmhouse chic reclaimed wood and polished aluminum siding. these were largely kept afloat due to cashing in on all the white midwestern transplants coming here with their facebook job or w/e.

all the old affordable to masses stuff isn't coming back, and now that base is (potentially) declining, so ????

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
it'll be interesting if we get a dotcom 2.0 web3.0 bust

there's a lot different than the first dotcom. but also a lot of similarities: i.e. a big chunk of tech based off VC-capital infusions, "take loss now and grow our userbase!", unprofitable products, and having employees live where housing is $3000/month.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Dec 23, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

All their stocks are up. Layoffs are good.

that’s right. more layoffs = more money for buybacks

anyways anyone work for any nyse listed corporation and getting laid off? thinking about buying $$$$$$ in short term calls

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

one family member down in the spotify layoffs, gently caress me

he’d gotten the job less than 6 months ago whoopsy. hope the baby that’s due in a couple months isn’t a huge additional exp ahahaha

:smith:
if he's computer touching, everyone says it's super easy to find another computer touching job and they're in super high demand. so he should be fine.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

nope it’s not that even at all lmao
oh, well, :rip: then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

tokin opposition posted:

I'm going to sniff around for nonprofit tech jobs because working with these people is going to drive me batty

you should look for town/county/regional computer touching jobs. they get overlooked for all the big figgy FAAANG vc unicorn startup bonaza, but they're super chill and pay well. look for like school system, mayor's office, public works, water agency, sewer, local department of transportation, county public works/office of emergency services/fire department/etc kinda thing.

usually also are unionized

i work for a public agency and it whips rear end. union + big pension + strict hard cap 40-hour work weeks + 3 day weekends every other week