Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

this next recession is going to be bad I think :( there were serious problems with the market even before covid that were able to float a little bit longer thanks to gigantic capital injections but it's all finally starting to come due

that said I can't believe anyone didn't see these tech layoffs coming, and there are going to be more and its going to be worse: so many firms (the giants included) produce worthless products, copies of better products, or products that are completely unable to be effectively marketized or turn a profit. I think if you're in a computer touching job and you produce something that isn't completely critical for an industry or already has an established and consistent user base you'll want to start looking for something else. I suspect anything that runs on ad revenue is going to see massive layoffs as well, but maybe not as soon as the others.

meta especially is completely hosed for the obvious reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

you can generalize this to “if you’re in the private sector and your job is in one of the business’s cost centers, hold on to your butt”

yeah very true, well put

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

the fun question is: are rents going to drop in Williamsburg/Brooklyn, LA, Portland, Seattle, Denver, or Bay Area?

putting my money on: no, no, no, yes, yes, yes but barely

source: vibes