Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

While I was at the Department of Energy no one had any idea if they'd have a job in a month because their jobs were political footballs in the budget.

But if you're defense you're fine

I would like to learn more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

I've been through a whole loving slew of layoffs in the last few years due to the 737max crashes just murdering the industry that feeds boeing but my favorite/most horrifying was:

We got a warning 2 weeks before the lay off because they wanted to be nice??? idk. Anyway, it was like the grimmest atmosphere ever and as each day approached you'd see open liquor bottles on peoples desks and poo poo. We all went out and just got loving ripped mid day a few times. The night before I got a call that one of my (admittedly lovely) coworkers who ran a specific building was getting the axe so i'd need to go in the morning of and train another person we were throwing into that spot as a hold over. So I get there, I turn everything on and I have this sinking loving pit in my stomach. Get the person settled in and at like 8:30 i make our way over to our main building and there's seagulls eating puke in the parking lot. Just tons of seagulls and puke. And I have the realization im probably getting fired to. I just sit there for a while watching the seagulls.

I make my way through the fence to the hangar and I walk in and... they're like clapping people out with their piles of poo poo in their boxes. The company had a tradition of clapping retirees and stuff. 100 year old company so a lot of weird quirks. So they're clapping people out one by one. I think like 40 people out of 200 got let go. And I walk up to my boss and I'm like "uhhhh" and he's like "oh you are good" and I think I just started crying because the whole morning was so stressful. We lost over half our specific service desk IT team.

edit: also i forgot but when we were cleaning poo poo out we found a gun in someones desk and lol i spent a bunch of time contemplating mortality

:eyepop:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That's another quarters problem. Capitalism only thinks in the near term.