Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I work in manufacturing and deal with contractors that service the southeast and northeast US and they all have anecdotes of expansion and investment. The supply chain issues cleared up but it's still impossible to get most machinery. Our company has dramatically increased it's own spending in manufacturing. Not receiving components and inputs scared a lot of people so there seems to be a focus on regional supply chains rather than global ones. We switched suppliers on quite a few things at all of our facilities.

We have had layoffs in our sales force mostly. I'm unsure of where they would spread next since the manufacturing sector here is treated like a morlock underclass. Most of our waste is in a giant C Suite of entire teams of extremely overpaid executives that do nothing and are never present but if they are the ones deciding which costs to cut they will probably fire the workers at our smallest facility to consolidate at one of the two larger ones. Any dealing I've had with the $200,000+ salary range people has shown they are dumb as poo poo and use their authority to shout down people and declare their dumb loving ideas are law.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

do layoffs tend to pick up after holidays?

I don't think it's a tradition or anything. The holidays are just an excuse for a giant month long vacation for most executive teams and then the new year brings tax time and some fiscal year ends when money moves are more likely to happen. Once a new year has started and numbers can be run on the last one then you'll see moves be made by some $500,000 vice president fresh off of a 6 week vacation ready to shift some paradigms.

If the economy is as terrible as everyone thinks and we are headed for a serious recession then it'd be primarily cost cutting and layoffs.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

currently hoping that "maintenance guy at a car parts factory, but with a fancy college degree who can work with industrial computers" is a career that won't get hosed too hard

I'm a maintenance mechanic and manufacturing hiring is insane right now and wages are probably 50% higher than they were 3-5 years ago

Unfortunately this still means you are going to average $16-$20 for unskilled/entry level positions but anyone with maintenance experience, especially PLCs, is in a pretty great spot.

It ill just never match one of those $200,000 jobs where you google routers an hour a week and I'm honestly not sure how any job would do in an extremely bad recession. If car demand drops off a cliff there might be plant closures that get you but there is a lot of onshoring behind the scenes in manufacturing right now so there should be something available if you have the right skills. "essential" things like medication or food won't really be shutting down unless it's vanity stuff like prescription skin creams or candy or something.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

My company's done hiring freezes and with things looking grim, just before the holidays they announced an r&d group got an nft promotional gimmick project budget approved. our core business isn't related; they just think it'll be a marketing gimmick. they're also trying to budget metaverse junk. pretty frustrating to see money getting flushed down the toilet right as the economy takes an obvious turn.

Yeah. Where I work the manufacturing employees are the morlock underclass and I can't even get a $2,000 plumbing repair to restore hot water access to part of my building. I had to have "a talk" after expensing a $100 lunch for 10 people.

Meanwhile we lost, easily, eight figures on a failed product launch that came complete with flights and a week at a resort for over 60 people to "Get In The Mindset" or something and practice selling their product for 5 nights and six days. We also didn't use our already existing multiple teams of salesmen all complete with their own executive teams, we created a new one. We didn't want to lose any of them since they were The Elite New Team when the product was delayed six months so they all got the maximum commission bonuses two times despite not having anything to sell and no work to do. Their starting pay was $100,000 and their product VP makes $500,000.

I feel like this kind of poo poo is going to be punished by a severe enough recession but this just means the actual profitable parts of our business are wiped out too so then even our constructive employees are out of work trying to fight for fewer positions at whatever companies survive the obliteration of the idiots that don't understand finances but were poo poo out by business schools for the past 20 years.