Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Throb Robinson posted:

I used to work at Meta, not with John. But he is 100% on the money about what's killing things on the inside. The glut of people,cash and resources is absolutely a hindrance to these big tech places. Everyone including myself for the time I worked there is constantly trying to prove that they are worth keeping and that others should take the fall before them. There is a lot of internal agony over "AI" just automating everyone away from their jobs. So you get people buying huge amounts of stuff just to seem like they are doing something important or people hiring dozens of people to put between them and lay off time.

It's a really good strategy for all these tech firms because your workers will never develop any solidarity with one another when they're all competing. Also lol at working for facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

Seattle rents seem to be falling noticeably compared to july when I was last looking.

I've noticed this too, although housing prices are still insane.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fintech

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CongoJack posted:

One of my pals works in fintech and while he has made good money the job is pretty abusive. occasionally it sends him into depression spirals. The past few months every time the gang is supposed to get together he says work is on fire and is too burned out and tired to show up.

poor programmers making $8000000 a year for tools that let banks target the most vulnerable people for predatory loans ;_;

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

drat lol they just sent an email TODAY saying, with immediate effect, we're on a hiring/promotion/salary increase freeze. merry christmas!!!!!

they tried this towards the middle of the year right before promotions at my company. the justification was something like "oh yeah we have to make sure only people who have proved themselves get promoted"

the result was a bunch of mid and upper mid tier employees leaving lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Here we go! Woke up by an east coast coworker “did you see the email?” Looks like the next few hours are going to be a lot of fun. Not sure why you’d send out a global email the morning of the significant workforce reduction (~500 jobs out of 4000 or so total) but it’s going to be a fun morning for sure

I heard that this happened to M$/Amazon employees here in Seattle.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)