Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Koishi Komeiji posted:

My friend works for a medical company in Austin and there was suddenly a huge round of layoffs with no warning, managers included. And a rumor of another round of layoffs in April. Another big recession is coming.

I do contract work for a very large medical testing company in CA and while they're still hiring for tech/lab staff, they've been ripping apart most of their non-tech office personnel for about two months now.

edit- hard to tell if things are actually bad for them or if this is just some kind of "we only need lab techs and programmers and want to close all of our physical offices" move though

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Crazyweasel posted:

Also yes I find it insane that hospital wait times and care is degrading and yet all I see are more healthcare facilities consolidating and closing as there are “unprofitable practices” that need “streamlining”

The Fed is actively trying to squeeze businesses out because, assuming you believe the narrative that labor is to blame for inflation, temporary hiring freezes and layoffs won't do the trick. You have to actually destroy a ton of businesses so that they can't go on hiring sprees again once conditions improve, otherwise you're not fixing the "imbalance." Everyone knows the game and will start downsizing hard sooner or later. The ones that can't make do with permanently reduced staffing levels are the ones that won't make it out the other side.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Oglethorpe posted:

what does Affirm do

also drat 20%

They're a point of sale consumer loan company, one of the really big ones. Buy now, pay later stuff. For a while they were absolutely making GBS threads out 0% loans for basically everything.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I was gonna say, aren't they the ones who keep showing up as PAY IN FOUR EASY PAYMENTS on like every loving web site now? And sure enough, yep.

I think they do loans all the way out to 48 months for really big stuff, probably at crazy APRs now.