Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Woke Mind Virus posted:

my tech company hasn't laid anyone off and has even been hiring the technical recruiters laid off from other tech companies. I am very pleased we are hiring people to layoff later when the next stock market report is due.

My place isn't really a "tech company" per se (at least, not any more, after being acquired by a bigger company in a different industry), but we've been having regular layoffs and hiring freezes for years, and there's nobody left to cut. They're begrudgingly starting to hire this year since they're at pretty high risk of losing business because of being understaffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at with a telecom that's basically on impulse power after having gone through bankruptcy. Every quarter brings at least a few dozen layoffs in one department or another.

Yeah, that sounds about right for where I am. The super lovely part is that the company that bought us fired almost everybody who knew anything about how our poo poo worked, dumped our sales team (for a very complex B2B SaaS product that has a multi-year sales cycle) in favor of existing sales folks elsewhere, etc. Back when we were our own company, we were the market leader in what we did, and now, after a few years of mismanagement, we're struggling to even still be relevant.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mawarannahr posted:

I been out of work since august although I didn’t really start applying until late October when I sorted my head out. I keep getting real close then rejected, and there are a lot of mass rejections these days due to hiring feeezes. Im not bad at computer. maybe xenophobia? idk it sucks.

btw today is the day of Saint Xenia of St Petersburg

🙏 🤲 📿🛐🧎

I still have a job, but I've been trying to get a job somewhere else for almost three years now with no luck. I'm going for director-level roles, though, since that's the next logical step for me (and I do have the experience for it). My situation's kind of unusual, though, since there aren't a lot of positions I'd be a good match for opening up.

A friend of mine with a much more standard resume got laid off late last year and is still looking, though, and I know somebody else who's been doing software dev poo poo for decades who's been out of work for a month so far with no luck. Almost nobody's hiring right now.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

100 bps rate hike incoming.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

quote:

Since 2019, when Disney+ launched, the segment has lost more than $9 billion, as the company spends heavily on content to attract subscribers. Mr. Iger is under pressure to achieve the company’s goal of profitability for its streaming business in fiscal 2024.

:laffo:

Even when people were still pretending to care about COVID, they couldn't turn a profit on their direct-to-consumer division (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Paradoxish posted:

They're a point of sale consumer loan company, one of the really big ones. Buy now, pay later stuff. For a while they were absolutely making GBS threads out 0% loans for basically everything.

I was gonna say, aren't they the ones who keep showing up as PAY IN FOUR EASY PAYMENTS on like every loving web site now? And sure enough, yep.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Palladium posted:

paying for streaming in the age of tiktok lmao

Not only that, but nine figures worth of suckers paying for their streaming poo poo, and it's still not enough. Paying out the rear end for Fox was such a dumb loving decision. Especially since a lot of that deal was funded with . . . you guessed it: debt! Now their employees get to eat poo poo as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7207941159811960106