Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I’m pretty uncertain about my job but who knows. Worked for a smaller company that sold to a multinational in 2020 and the multinational just went private with a private equity group back in October

We’re horrendously understaffed and going into the third reorg in less than a year and I kind of anticipate they’ll just drop the product I work on entirely

It’s a pretty lovely feeling because I’m pretty overpaid and there no way I can make close to what I do now in my field without doing something miserable and impossible like trying to break into the big four in my forties lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

Why do anything? If you are fired and you don’t want to deal with all the poo poo at your desk, just leave. What is the downside?

I was fired from a job many years ago and they cleaned out my desk and mailed it to me but I guess it was the wrong desk because it was a whole bunch of somebody else’s family photos and Knick knacks

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

putting my money on: no, no, no, yes, yes, yes but barely

source: vibes

Portland is in a weird place where it’s over priced but also an escape hatch from even more overpriced seattle/Bay Area/LA

But the city’s taken a huge repetitional hit in the last couple years and it’s not as shiny an escape hatch

As far as I can tell everything is holding steady price wise for now but given it’s peripheral status to Seattle/Bay Area I could see the upcoming tech massacre hitting relatively harder

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Here we go! Woke up by an east coast coworker “did you see the email?” Looks like the next few hours are going to be a lot of fun. Not sure why you’d send out a global email the morning of the significant workforce reduction (~500 jobs out of 4000 or so total) but it’s going to be a fun morning for sure

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I guess my company/director had the uh, courtesy? of telling the laid off people quietly then had a meeting where they told us "if you're hearing this, you're still working here."

I joined expecting layoffs, didn't quite think it would be first year but hey, now to see how many rounds I survive I guess

Yeah based on reading tea leaves I feel fairly certain I’ve survived this morning but I assume there will be another round at least if not more, knew it was coming but it’s still stressful. Been a good ten years since I’ve been through a layoff cycle…

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I heard that this happened to M$/Amazon employees here in Seattle.

Yeah for sure. My employer is a bit smaller but also headquartered in Seattle so probably won’t make the press as we went private last year. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I survived… for now. lovely feeling tho

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Instacart and other shopping apps days were always numbered. Like the meal delivery services it was always a matter of time before the grocery stores realized they can just have staff (which can do other things during downtime) do the same thing, better, and no longer have instacarts fuckups reflect on them

Yeah I knew that their days were numbered as soon as I saw Fred Meyer heavily advertising it’s curbside pickup service

Those ads were pretty funny too because they just changed the branding on the regular Kroger ads and added stuff like “northwest fresh” to the ads but left all the imagery of people hiking in LA :)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol that godaddy still exists. also lmao at a cannabis company losing hundreds of millions of dollars. it must be run by mouth breathing morons

I can’t speak to a Canadian cannabis company but the cannabis industry in Oregon is in absolute chaos because they’re significantly over producing and margins from growers to retailers are just evaporating. I think that’s as much a problem of no legal export market though, for example legal weed in Nevada is really crappy and expensive because it all gets grown indoors and they can’t import from CA or OR (at least for the legal market)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

but cali is right next door lmao

Yeah but part of legalization is none of it can cross state lines, so a glut in CA or OR does nothing for the legal market in NV

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Wish I knew where this cheap cannabis was in CA. The grower I know is now asking $800 for 16oz, which lol, lmao no.

Dispensaries here are desperate enough to do $1 gram specials sometimes

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Koishi Komeiji posted:

The only places that drug test are like mc donalds, taco bell etc. and you can just use synthetic urine on the test.

Even places like that don’t even really bother screening for marijuana anymore. It’s hard enough to find people willing to work those jobs as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Have a friend who works for a non-profit that takes a ton of federal money and so they have to drug test as a matter of course

Even they don’t screen for weed anymore because it would make hiring impossible

Funny story though. A few years back my work got a contract to do some stuff for Walmart and at least at the time they forced vendors to drug screen anyone who would be handling their data. I wasn’t involved with that project but I had a few grumpy as gently caress colleagues