Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what i've been hearing in my computer toucher social circles is LIFO
good luck to anyone that was hired during COVID
you could probably fire 30-50% of employees in most tech companies/startups and still have more headcount than you did prior to COVID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

would be surprised if that's a factor for tech
the other quirk is how much of the overhiring was in new divisions or in offshore locations - which conversely makes it easier to do concentrated layoffs

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

must be a tough year to be a twenty-something techbro that's encountering layoffs and investments in the red for the first time in their career

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:owned:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i say swears online posted:

lol that numbers column is a loving mess

there are dozens of us! dozens!

bloomberg laid off their data viz team

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

part of the fun about following the tech layoffs is musing about why random outfits have so many employees
https://twitter.com/Layoffsfyi/status/1603423800548261888?s=20&t=I-vlRaTa8RHGZx-4KxWbNQ

i recall headspace being a big deal 7-8 years ago as an app that played meditation audio but they've somehow ballooned into a 1200 employee shop

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

TehSaurus posted:

I’m part of a strategic change program

lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

looked them up and lol

quote:

Meditation App Headspace Relieved Stress for Everyone but Its Own Employees, Say Former Staff

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...=uverify%20wall
Before the pandemic relegated most meetings to video conference, employees at the mental wellness app Headspace gathered each morning at 10 a.m. for a guided meditation led by the company’s co-founder, a charismatic Brit and former monk. They sat on wooden benches in Headspace’s airy, sun-drenched office in Santa Monica, California, taking deep, calming breaths.
“I absolutely had to go to therapy,” said one former staffer, who like other people who talked to Bloomberg, spoke on condition of anonymity in order to preserve their future job prospects. Three other people also said they started seeing psychiatrists to help process the stress of working at the company.
Working from home, some people described sitting through back-to-back Zoom meetings for 12 or more hours. One person remembers crying along with colleagues over video conference more than once at the end of the day because they hadn’t had time to eat lunch or use the bathroom.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

skipmyseashells posted:

the Econ thread became enjoyable now that there isn’t weekly talks of 60k+ SUVs and constant updates on housing markets in america

here’s hoping there’s way more tech layoffs!

it's been very satisfying to see the day in the life of techbro tiktok economy get decimated