Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I’m also a bit concerned. I’m part of a strategic change program which is code for lmao bye because we are still a few years from generating positive value. I suppose I could always go back to a product team, but if the rest of the big tech shops are having huge layoffs I might actually have to compete with good people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

exactly

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Telluric Whistler posted:

Is your strategic change automating, outsourcing or "capability building" (e.g, developing methods to get people to quit and be replaced by lower paid workers)?

If so, good news!

It isn’t any of that, happily. Basically my industry has a giant sustainability problem in that there aren’t enough computers on the planet to continue to perform my old job function. I’m working on a capability to do the same work with fewer computers.

You could actually spin it as an environmental win if we weren’t going to just piss away the extra efficiency on more capitalism!

I suspect that compute resources in general will get a lot cheaper if there is a giant tech crash, though, so the business case will definitely change. At least my company makes an actual useful product instead of just stealing money like fintechs do, so there’s a chance I don’t get hosed at least.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I feel like that is going to be harder right now since they’ll be competing with more people who just got laid off but that’s pure speculation on my part

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

yeah, my boss got dragged into something today forcing him to cancel a bunch of stuff we had planned, and I assume it is budget related.

we could have dramatically reduced costs by eliminating a bunch of unnecessary office space but lmao no we have to try and force everyone back to the plague pits