Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i've found myself in need of an additional income source, and i've been wanting to create a youtube channel for a long time, so figured this might be the best way to go about it. only question now is: what should it be about? i'm interested in things like vidya games, anime, general tech, history, and politics. one specific topic i thought might be good is doing the history of companies like Cold Fusion and Company Man do. both channels are pretty huge. though difference in my case is that i could focus specifically on video game publishers/developers. surprisingly, there's not that many channels that cover this kind of stuff. i mean, maybe for like the biggest of the biggest publishers like nintendo/sony/ms/activision/etc. but there's a ton of mid tier and low tier (financially speaking) that don't get covered, so it could be an untapped market.

but that's just one idea that i'm not 100% wedded to. i'm open to suggestions. does anyone here have a yt channel? if so, what do you talk about and how successful have you been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

olives black posted:

Just had the YT alg recommend this guy for the first time to me, OP:

https://youtu.be/vIfC4Aj05Ps

Looks like he just wanders around the world and finds cool stuff to do and educate people about. 5.64 million subscribers at the time of this writing.

Do you like walking and talking? Maybe try something like this idk

sadly i don't think i'd do to well in front of a camera. i've been told i have a nice voice very suitable for radio, so i think i'd stick to just narration.

Computer viking posted:

To be a bit more on topic, I actually like the idea in the OP - a history of weird mid-sized game companies sounds kind of interesting. The problem is that the best form may be dubiously sane deep dives a la Defunctland - I'd probably watch a 90 minute "who were Blue Byte before Ubisoft bought them" if it was well researched and presented.

The drawback is that that style obviously takes a lot of work per video. Probably a worse return on time spent than "Old nerd reacts to tiktok: First time watching Melon Challenge (OMG!)".

sweet, glad i got at least one interested customer! :c00l:

but yeah, the only issue with such a video series is that it would take a lot of work. even the script portion, which in my case would be (relatively speaking) the easiest, would still be a ton of work.

but at the same time, the payoff could also be quite good, as well. people love video essays and the long form nature allows more ads to be placed within

olives black posted:

Found another good example of how to make nerd stuff entertaining. 1.2 million views at time of writing.

https://youtu.be/KQRqZokrQrI

ooh this is a nice one too. another idea i was thinking was if not talking about the history of companies, i could also talk about interesting stories/anecdotes about said companies/people working within

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hunter Biden posted:

You aren’t going to make money until you learn to make compelling content and that will take a few years. To build a creative or entertainment career you need to be ready to lose money for a period of time. You may also never make any money and have to be cool with that.

The fact that you aren’t already sure of what your content is means you are super far off from making sick money.

Do ubereats or night shift work at target.

true, it's more than likely going to be pretty hard, but this guy here has one video on his channel that he uploaded a week ago and already has over 600k views with over 6k subscribers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EGICLW1LqQ

so it's possible!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i don't think i mentioned it, but one other potentially good idea i was thinking over was doing a channel on WWII but more focused on the economic side. i.e. focusing on the industries created, the resources that were being allocated, the shifting in workforce, etc. figure there's some good potential there as everyone loves WWII, but most of the discourse is mainly focused on the actual military side, on battles and such. this on the other hand might be a decent niche.