Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i maintain that it is the humble hotdog. if you get pissy about how someone cooks or dresses their hotdog, you need to get a grip. short of eating them straight out of the freezer like some kind of hot dog popsicle, there is no wrong way to gently caress with a dog.

grilled cheese people get a close second but at least their beef is more semantics which is understandable. a melt is different from a grilled cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You wrapped up the thread in the first post OP.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You wrapped up the thread in the first post OP.

love an efficient thread with a blue collar lunch pail OP. mods can lock and goldmine.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Borsche69 posted:

i maintain that it is the humble hotdog. if you get pissy about how someone cooks or dresses their hotdog, you need to get a grip. short of eating them straight out of the freezer like some kind of hot dog popsicle, there is no wrong way to gently caress with a dog.

grilled cheese people get a close second but at least their beef is more semantics which is understandable. a melt is different from a grilled cheese.

i am a hot dog loving purist. ive eaten some bad bad dogs in my time. ive also eaten some overly dry hot dogs. ill admit that they are a blank canvas and even a canvas can be considered art, but if youre serving up a fuckin ball park turkey frank on a bun with all the fluffiness of a lint roller on a sunday morning, no toppings or anything, quite literally just rawdogging it, you need to be locked up

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i am a hot dog loving purist. ive eaten some bad bad dogs in my time. ive also eaten some overly dry hot dogs. ill admit that they are a blank canvas and even a canvas can be considered art, but if youre serving up a fuckin ball park turkey frank on a bun with all the fluffiness of a lint roller on a sunday morning, no toppings or anything, quite literally just rawdogging it, you need to be locked up

i think a purist is a level beyond wanting something served competently. i've had decent turkey/chicken sausages, but it wouldn't be my go to. likewise, boiled middle school cafeteria hotdogs that have the texture of mush are awful. i was at a phillies game about a year ago on dollar dog night, and i'm not gonna say it was the worst dogs i've ever had, but i got about a bite into my third and had to put the thing down. at least throw these things onto a flat top for a second.

but thats just a matter of cooking the thing right. beyond that, getting mad at someone for putting ketchup on one or whatever feels crazy.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
it's always a good time when people get mad about what goes in chili

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Professor Wayne posted:

i dont like beans in chili but goddamn any recipe that's based around 'whatever you have on you, throw it into a big pot' shouldn't be the basis for arguments

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
It is dumb to be a "purist" about any food, rather than simply listening to the body and enjoying what tastes good to you. :colbert:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

My Second Re-Reg posted:

It is dumb to be a "purist" about any food, rather than simply listening to the body and enjoying what tastes good to you. :colbert:

counterpoint: my body is stupid as hell and tricks me into thinking im having a heart attack when its just like heartburn or such

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Professor Wayne posted:

i don't get mad about it but i do think that celery in chili immediately makes it not chili

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Borsche69 posted:

counterpoint: my body is stupid as hell and tricks me into thinking im having a heart attack when its just like heartburn or such

for what it's worth i feel you :(

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Pineapple on pizza, if you don't like it don't eat it, stop freaking out about what other people eat.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Pineapple on pizza (which is mostly not my thing but I occasionally crave a Hawaiian pizza and offer no apologies) made me remember this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/18/what-do-real-italians-think-about-new-yorks-italian-food

Everyone in this article sounds absolutely exhausting. I hope they all got Olive Garden breadsticks in their stockings.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I always think the carbonara freaks are pretty hilarious. However, I did see some YouTube clown make a carbonara style ramen, and I'm like, buddy, you're pushing it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I have my hotdog preferences (grilled new england style roll, charred natural casing frank with diced onion and spicy brown mustard), but if you want to eat a chicago dog, go nuts. You're right op - it's emulsified meat in a tube. No need to be precious about it.

I think it's written in the state charter of Texas that you have to be a real drag about chili, though. It's a fairly humble stew - though with meat prices these days, maybe it is a luxury. Put lima beans and saurkraut in yours if you like it. To paraphrase my grandfather, "it's all chili in the dark, but if you feel spaghetti, they may be trying to trick you"

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

My Second Re-Reg posted:

for what it's worth i feel you :(

getting old is a hell of a thing

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

DangerDummy! posted:

I always think the carbonara freaks are pretty hilarious. However, I did see some YouTube clown make a carbonara style ramen, and I'm like, buddy, you're pushing it.

yeah that and its other forms like cacio e pepe and such are ridiculous. it's pasta and cheese. it's not even a particularly old recipe the way pasta alla gricia or something else is. there's no reason to get defensive over it

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Discussion Quorum posted:

Pineapple on pizza (which is mostly not my thing but I occasionally crave a Hawaiian pizza and offer no apologies) made me remember this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/18/what-do-real-italians-think-about-new-yorks-italian-food

Everyone in this article sounds absolutely exhausting. I hope they all got Olive Garden breadsticks in their stockings.

lol there's some insanely choice quotes out of this. i do not care for coffee, but i can appreciate that there are techniques that will improve the quality or drastically change the style, and its fine to have some strong opinions about how you want your drug of choice delivered to you.

this is not one of those strong opinions that it is okay to have:

quote:

Giacomo Silvestris, a 39-year-old director of operations for Italian CAI foods in New York, says that the way in which non-Italians drink cappuccino makes him faint. Drinking one at any other moment of the day apart from breakfast-time is unacceptable, he says.

Drinking a cappuccino at the end of lunch or dinner, or worse still, together with one of those meals is what provokes the most intense reaction from Silvestris (wide eyes, hand gesticulation).

Waiters at bars in cities across Italy have been known to refuse to serve tourists asking for the mistimed beverages. You can order one before noon, or simply forget it.

“The cappuccino is the meal,” Silvestris pronounces definitively. “The only food you can have it with is a croissant – that you eat at the bar in the morning.”

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
You don’t dip your French fries in loving mayo you fat motherfuckers

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Probably a burger I dunno?

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
frito pie is one of the least pretentious foods, sure use canned chili whatever but sometimes a line has to be drawn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wQpHTnji68

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Coasterphreak posted:

Moule Frites with a little mayo is pretty great though.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

people that complain about dipping fries into mayo are the same people that will dip their pizza crusts into like ranch or blue cheese dressing (flavored mayo)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

people that complain about dipping fries into mayo are the same people that will dip their pizza crusts into like ranch or blue cheese dressing (flavored mayo)

People did this at Penn State and it was the worst poo poo ever. Horrible place.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

thetan_guy42 posted:

frito pie is one of the least pretentious foods, sure use canned chili whatever but sometimes a line has to be drawn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wQpHTnji68

A jumped around in this, but lol when he says "lightly season them" and puts some salt on the crushed Flamin' Hot™ Fritos.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Coasterphreak posted:

The people who loving invented the fry (Belgians) do it. You're the fool who is doing it wrong.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

lol there's some insanely choice quotes out of this. i do not care for coffee, but i can appreciate that there are techniques that will improve the quality or drastically change the style, and its fine to have some strong opinions about how you want your drug of choice delivered to you.

this is not one of those strong opinions that it is okay to have:

lmao at italians extolling the virtues of their croissants

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Any of the American identity foods.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Professor Wayne posted:

The chili argument is kinda dumb because Texas red is a distinct style of chili, just like green chile is a thing in both New Mexico and Colorado - with the major distinction being the kind of chili used (hatch vs. pueblo). If you're talking about a specific style of food, that's not being a purist, that's just describing that style. Arguing that all chili has to be that specific style is dumb. Same could be said for hot dogs, pizza, various Mexican fusions (Calimex, Tex-Mex, etc.), etc.

thetan_guy42 posted:

I laughed at this a lot. Thank you for posting.

Also, this tweet seems appropriate for this thread:

https://twitter.com/davedittell/status/675806988572319744

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Honestly being a turbo purist about any ethnic food is dumb as hell, don't believe me? Sit down two strangers and ask them to decide whose nonna/abuela/yiayia/whatever makes the best food.

DruidSeer
Jun 13, 2022
Blue Cheese.

Three reasons:

The original culture from Lyon is *long dead*, so, we are now eating 'a roquefort'; not the Original!
These blue cheese are the best: crumbly, salty and full of veining - soft, white, creamy with few blue veins...finally, medium soft with some blue, and creamier than traditional harder roquefort! Therefore, all cheese apart from *blue vein*, basically pales! Theres no historicity or comparison to be fretting over...
And, finally, you can't really be a purist over such a universally consumed cheese, and ONE which is always of high quality, even the cheaper brands....

Cozza the MOULDY OLD VEINS!!!

That's my shilling.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'm Mexican and I think it's interesting (sometimes horrifying) to see how other people interpret our extremely varied regional/ethnic culinary traditions. The only thing I simply cannot accept and which I sneer at from the bottom of my soul is hard tortilla shells.

You might say I'm a never-cruncher.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DruidSeer posted:

Blue Cheese.

People who call blue cheese “bleu cheese”

Worse than Hitler

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Just from watching Mexican cooks/chefs on YouTube, it seems like the food gets better the further south you go

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DruidSeer posted:

Blue Cheese.

Three reasons:

The original culture from Lyon is *long dead*, so, we are now eating 'a roquefort'; not the Original!
These blue cheese are the best: crumbly, salty and full of veining - soft, white, creamy with few blue veins...finally, medium soft with some blue, and creamier than traditional harder roquefort! Therefore, all cheese apart from *blue vein*, basically pales! Theres no historicity or comparison to be fretting over...
And, finally, you can't really be a purist over such a universally consumed cheese, and ONE which is always of high quality, even the cheaper brands....

That's my shilling.

I classify blue cheeses Ive had based on their funkiness. For me, Stilton is the sweet spot. I did have a Spanish blue wrapped in date leaves or something that was too funky for me. Tasted like a barnyard smells.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DruidSeer posted:

Blue Cheese.

Three reasons:

That's my shilling.

I thought Roquefort was the original - do you have any more information on that? Kinda curious.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

burnsep posted:

I'm Mexican and I think it's interesting (sometimes horrifying) to see how other people interpret our extremely varied regional/ethnic culinary traditions. The only thing I simply cannot accept and which I sneer at from the bottom of my soul is hard tortilla shells.

You might say I'm a never-cruncher.

I like em but mostly from the perspective that its just handheld/portable nachos, and not a taco.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Weighing the simplicity of the dish versus how weird people get about it, grits are the clear winner.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nameless Pete posted:

Weighing the simplicity of the dish versus how weird people get about it, grits are the clear winner.

you mean polenta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

DruidSeer posted:

Blue Cheese.

Three reasons:

That's my shilling.

Can you elaborate? Doesn't jive with some brief research I did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_cheese https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roquefort