Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"Is Deckard a replicant?" is a bad question when it's completely divorced from the narrative of the movie. The first questions to ask are "what is a replicant?" and "why are they built?"

Specifically, we should focus on why Rachel was built and why Tyrell evidently allows her to 'escape' and meet Deckard. In the context of the film, the previous Nexus 6 design has effectively failed and is now banned on Earth. Tyrell is hoping to reenter the Earth market by creating a "more human" replicant without Batty's superhuman qualities - replicants that are "all too human" and consequently lack the drive to meaningfully fight back. It's the docility that Tyrell prizes, not the super-strength or whatever.

Tyrell has blatantly engineered the meeting between Rachel and Deckard as an experiment, with the whole endeavor making fairly overt allusions to Paradise Lost . So, yeah: Deckard is 100% thematically a replicant in the basic sense that he's Adam, created by Tyrell and given a wife.

Huh I’d never even considered the biblical allegory. I guess this makes Nexus 6 models angels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Not really sure it can get more explicit than "fiery the angels fell" in BR and "we make angels" in 2049.

Oof yeah. It’s been over a decade since I saw the original and I was high out of my mind in theaters for 2049 - I’ve been meaning to do a rewatch.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

ChickenHeart posted:

I think the movies would have been more popular if the replicants talked like robots and could transform into gross biomechanical monsters whenever their cover was blown

Need to see Cronenberg’s Blade Runner now.