Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Nadja died to SCS Firkraag.

Honestly I'm satisfied, this is easily one of my better efforts. I'm gonna keep playing but I'm done Iron Manning for the year I think.

Firkraag is tough on SCS fo sure. I think a lot of it comes down to how long he can make the fight aka how many good wing buffets he gets off. If he doesn't get off a strong one you can imp haste melee him down relatively quickly as even SCS Dragon hp can't stand up to that. But if he does gently caress up your positioning with that then he can be a lot nastier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Firkraag is tough on SCS fo sure. I think a lot of it comes down to how long he can make the fight aka how many good wing buffets he gets off. If he doesn't get off a strong one you can imp haste melee him down relatively quickly as even SCS Dragon hp can't stand up to that. But if he does gently caress up your positioning with that then he can be a lot nastier.

Of course the second time I beat him handily.

Also, heh, funny story about what Spell Revisions does to Improved Haste...

I don't think I'll use SR again, to be honest. I like some of its changes but it's a bit relentless in its use of the no fun stick.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Of course the second time I beat him handily.

Also, heh, funny story about what Spell Revisions does to Improved Haste...

I don't think I'll use SR again, to be honest. I like some of its changes but it's a bit relentless in its use of the no fun stick.

Ah I forgot you're using SR. Yeah I don't know enough about what that does to spell changes. I've never used that.

On regular insane/scs imp haste is still so good that even though scs buffs Dragon HP by a ton they'll still melt. Honestly if SR nerfs Imp Haste like that it's probably justified to some degree lol.

In general with mods I think my preference is for enemies to get tougher or more clever rather than for abilities to be nerfed. SCS itself does have some components to nerf certain things, but some of those are optional. I do for example use the component to turn Inquisitor dispels from 2x level down to 1.5. 1.5 feels a lot better for me (basically makes it dispel around the same effectiveness as a Bard). 1.5 is still crazy good but not so busted that it always works on everything ever.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If the thread is winding down, I want to say thank you to all the players who made great runs (or died hilariously, or both), this is a fun annual SA event!

I keep making tries at it, but I can never get really far in an ironman game it seems. On one hand, it's a lot more fun because it's freaking tense compared to mashing quick save every 5 minutes, but on the other I guess I get kind of scared around mid-late BG1 because I know there's some bullshit stuff that I will inevitably forget. A BG1 game is relatively long, too (although I know you can race through it pretty fast if you want to), so it's not exactly comparable to roguelikes or such where if my wizard eats it in Nethack I've wasted 20 minutes, not 5 hours. And more modern roguelikes like FTL (which is ten years old, I know, I know...) intentionally limit the run time to roughly 2 hours max.