Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh, and Malicamp died. I got no XP!?

Yup. 4000 xp if he lives, and nothing if he dies because gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

After last year's failed attempts at solo runs, I decided to try something more normal - but with a slight gimmick.

Meet Kronar the Sorcerer:

:nws:Explanation:nws:, if anyone needs it.

Kronar has just assembled a full party and is ready to start the journey towards level 2:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Kronar the Sorcerer is slowly making progress.

Xzar lived surpisinly long, considering I never made any attempts to keep him out of melee combat.

I forgot to get a screenshot, but I nearly died during Dorn's intro event because the game decided to make the 6HP caster stand in front of the rest of the party. Lost 4HP to an arrow before I was able to hide behind my meat shields.

Pick up Branwen, ditch Montaron, heading over to the Gnoll Stronghold to grab the gauntlets of dexterity.

Never got this reaction before, likely a consequency of starting as Chaotic Neutral.

Fun fact: It's possible to pay these guys to leave, if you negotiate to half price first. Of course, you would never actually want to do that, but the option is there.

Picked up Dynaheir, and then briefly kicked out Imoen to pick up Minsc and send Dynaheir to live on a farm.

I'm sure she'll be very happy.

And with (almost) everyone to level 3, it's time to progress the plot.

Kronar the Sorcerer has entered the Nashkel mines.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Kronar the Sorcerer is currently roaming the sword coast, gathering loot.
Killed Mulahey without incident.

Rassad got a kill-steal in Nimbul, but considering how the fight was going I shouldn't complain too much.

I also pick up the scroll case. I tried to get this earlier, but I didn't know you can only get this quest by having CHARNAME be the one who talks to him.

I really enjoy this little addition.

And finally, Melicamp Dies.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Kronar the Sorcerer is done messing around in the wilderness.

Went basilisk hunting. Being a sorcerer with no accompanying mage makes this somewhat inconvenient, since I don't want to use one of my spell slots on Protection from Petrification. I bought some potions of mirrored eyes, but they run out before I can clear the map. Eventually I end up buying the two scrolls Thalantyr sells and hoping for the best.

I kinda regret not picking Resist fear as my first 2nd-level spell.

Fortunately I brought a few extra scrolls of stone-to-flesh in case this happened.

After a few bounty hunter groups, I feel more at peace with picking Web over Resist Fear.

I clear out as much of Firewine as I'm willing to deal with:

Clearing out the last wilderness maps, I slip up a little:

I take a brief detour to ressurrect Khalid, an return to have the most underwhelming mage fight ever:

Silence is a wonderful spell.

Cleaned up the bandit camp with no issues.

Kronar the Sorcerer has entered Cloakwood.

Perhaps I won't get killed by Web traps this year.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Kronar the Sorcerer has cleaned out Cloakwood.

Having reached Cloakwood 2, the plan is to avoid all the web traps to make Imoen invisible and step in every single web trap.

Wyvern ambush - arguably tougher than the Wyvern cave.

The fight outside the mine goes...acceptably

Fortunately everyone decided to randomly stand around instead of randomly attacking.

The Ogre Mage went similarly, although in this case Imoen nearly died.

Plan: Remove the traps, haste everyone, and rush Davaeorn.

Davaeorn teleports around a lot before dying, but doesn't get tome to cast any offensive spells.

I ended up getting stuck after a spider ambush on the way back. The interface refused to acknowledge any move commands (except when i opened the map), so it was impossible to leave the area. Ended up reloading in order to progress - and getting a wyvern ambush instead.

Kronar the Sorcerer has reached Baldur's Gate.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Kronar the Sorcerer is stumbling towards the endgame.

I screw up the fight with the Zhentarim mages, despite silencing two of them before the fight beings.

Creep on some ladies to get the Gauntlets of Ogre strength.

Follow up on Aldeth:

Bar fight goes well.

Ramazith would have been upset when we told him we didn't bring him the nymph, so we simply kill him without telling him:

I forget to cast resist fear again:

Iron throne goes fairly well, despite most of my melee getting confused:

At this point I decide I'm going to skip Durlag & co and just head straight for the endgame. Candlekeep goes fine for a while, until:

:cripes:

And his friend too for good measure.
Thankfully, this is not low enought for people to start leaving the party.

Jaheira dies on the way out:

A fun side effect of unintended acts of murder:

Arguably more useful for me than Draw upon holy might, though I most likely won't be using either.

And after dumping some money at the temple, we're all set to begin the final act:

Kronar the Sorcerer is going after Sarevok.

Nostalgamus fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Kronar the Sorcerer has been reminded what "Minor globe of invulnerability" does.

This is why you should always kill Aldeth Sashenstar.

Killed the assasins wtihout incident:

And from there everything is uneventful until I decide to take on the group in front of the temple.
The plan is to have Khalid run in first with enough fire resist to soak the arrows of detonation, while throwing in fireballs from wands and potions. This part goes...reasonably well:

After that I add Silence+Web, which shuts down the survivors - except the Mage with Minor globe of invulnerability, who proceeds to confuse and kill everyone:

Kronar the Sorcerer has died to the wizard in the Undercity ambush.