Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Has Nina from HR sent your entire team to one of these loving places again? Post about it here.

Bonk posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-life_Room_Escape

What they are: If you don't know, Escape Rooms are places you and a team of friends go, get a scenario (like 'secret agent' or 'spy') and get locked into a puzzle room. The rooms are usually themed - I've seen a crime scene, insane asylum, Egyptian pyramid, etc. You have to find clues around the room and solve puzzles to advance, and then eventually escape to win. Usually you're then given a score and have your team name on a leader board if your team is successful. It's kind of a ground-floor market right now because they're only just starting to catch on worldwide, but expect to see a lot more of these in the near future. [ed. note: this prediction turned out correect]

Where they came from: These places basically came out of Escape the Room Flash games that were a big hit several years back. Eventually someone figured out it would be cool to do this in real life. It caught on across Asia - especially in Japan, China, and Singapore - and now they're gaining popularity in places like the UK and North America. I know New York City has a few springing up. They're especially popular for corporate team-building exercises. Companies will send a group of workers to these places as an activity to see how well they can work together.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Knives Out part 3. The escapening.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One of our vendors took my team to one a couple weeks ago. It was well designed kind of fun. It was followed by a very nice meal where they spared no expense on the booze so can't complain.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
IM THE JUGGERNAUT BITCH

*smashes through wall, technically winning the game*

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think they're pretty fun, but I've only done them with friends and family and the ones we went to were really well-designed.

There was a local one that had an entire subway car you'd go inside and once you solved some puzzles an entire door would slide away to make it look like the subway car was moving on to the next station.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they're a fun activity to do now and again. the cheap ones are a whitewashed Crystal Maze style affair, the expensive ones can have really high production values, but they're both fun with a chill group. mind you, most things are fun with a chill group.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I´ve been to a couple of escape rooms myself and I like it. It´s like solving adventure game puzzles IRL and I´m down for that. SOme of these rooms have a really cool atmosphere, and I enjoyed the horror ones, like the Misery escape room in Munich that starts with one team member tied to a bed.

If anyone is in NY, there is a jewish themed escape room in Brooklyn where you can roleplay jews escaping a progrom, if you´re into that.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I like them, they're good fun.

The best one I've done started with our group split into two teams, in separate jail cells, all with one arm handcuffed to the furnishings. It rapidly emerged from shouting back and forth to the other team that we had stuff in each cell that was needed to solve puzzles or open stuff in the other cell so there was a lot of teamwork (and careful passing of items between cells) to get us all uncuffed and eventually out of the cells. Real good poo poo.

The worst I've ever done had an auto-success system where if you got stuck on a puzzle and the timer went past where the operators had set it would just auto-complete the puzzle and open the next section. This loving sucked because once it happened you were left with a bunch of items where you now had no idea if they were relevant in the next area of would have been part of the solution to the puzzle you missed. Don't solve poo poo for me, let me figure it out, that's what I'm paying for! I'd rather fail than be shepherded through and patronizingly told "you did it, good job" at the end.

Every puzzle that involves you plotting two intersecting lines across a map to determine co-ordinates that solve some other puzzle can gently caress off forever.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
i wouldn't want to do one with work, that'd take the fun out of it

i've done a lot of escape rooms over the years. doing some next week in fact. i think my fave was one in dublin where two escape rooms were jammed into a canal boat yet included things like a clue being anchored in the harbour and you have to find it with a periscope, or the room you were in flooding while you frantically tried to figure out how to stop it flooding, and poo poo like being split into 2 teams and each team eventually finding their way into the room the other team were in. the space efficiency was amazing

i've also been in one (some kind of christmas pop up thing) that was just in a tent in the corner of a massive empty warehouse building. some of them are like a real life equivalent of those stupid "99% will fail" logic puzzle things on facebook and they don't actually make sense, so you end up having to ask for hints all the time. even if they're poo poo you can still have fun complaining about how poo poo it was in the pub afterwards though

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I got taken to one as my pre-wedding party for a marriage that ended after 6 months so I think they're bad, OP

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I've done a few and they are a good time if you can do it with buddies instead of your manager.

The first one I ever did was rough and probably the worst one I ever did. It was a haunted house themed one, with decent enough production value. But the puzzles were difficult, the lighting was dark so you needed flashlights to see anything, and most annoyingly there were a lot of red herrings. Like, the escape room explicitly tells you that there are tons of red herrings designed to waste your time. And they did eat up our time, we failed right as we were figuring out the final puzzle. Very frustrating.

I have been playing a lot of Escape Simulator on steam over the past year. Its great cause i dont have to pay out $30 every time i wanna escape a room.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Start a little fire and they have to let you out :mil101:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Escape rooms own hard, and it's funny that they started as flash games. Any work social activity is going to have the inherent downside of being a work social activity, but they're still enjoyable in that instance. With friends, they're a blast.

There's other factors, but I am of the opinion that room quality has an inverse relationship to the number of standard-rear end locks (combination or otherwise). They aren't bad, exactly, but they don't add anything, and bad rooms tend to lean on them as puzzles, when there's real limits to how much you can disguise a number sequence.

Scavenger hunts in poor lighting are straight-up garbage. I am not paying money to have to see by the light of a lovely flashlight for an hour.

PuzzleWorks in the Twin Cities is a really good local place--all of their setups have a fun story, have at least one technically impressive puzzle or mechanic (and often more), and have multiple rooms--which I think really helps make an actual sense of progression.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think they're pretty fun, but I've only done them with friends and family and the ones we went to were really well-designed.

There was a local one that had an entire subway car you'd go inside and once you solved some puzzles an entire door would slide away to make it look like the subway car was moving on to the next station.

drat that’s cool as hell. I don’t like these because I can never figure stuff out as quickly as other team members so I’m dead weight.

The new beavis and butthead ep with them in an ‘escape room’ is p. Good.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
haha no I haven't figured out how to escape my room. maybe next year

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I did one that was essentially a mom and pop place. The owner was the designer. He had put like 20 separate puzzles in the 2nd room. There shouldn't even be 20 puzzles total for an hour game. Needless to say, we failed. It was a joke.

Another one where we failed the final solution was to ask the moderator/guide if the final puzzle piece was under his hat. loving dumb because someone had asked earlier in the sequence but he hadn't hid it yet so...yeah.

We've finished every other one we have done and they have generally been fun.

My point is that when they are badly designed it can really ruin the experience.

Oh wait, there was a 3rd we failed. A Legend of Zelda themed one. There were like 200 people in the room with 10 people to a table. Ours was one of the very few to fail. Why? Because each table had a helper person and ours didn't help. We were watching everyone around us progress and we'd ask a hint question and he'd respond with "look in the book." We spent the last 30 minutes getting more and more pissed that this guy was being so obstinate when it was obvious the other proctors were actually trying to help people enjoy ourselves.

"Can we have a different hint now, there are only 5 minutes left?"

"look in the book"

WHERE IN THE loving BOOK?

"just look in the book, that's all I can tell you."

We were ready to strangle that guy.

gently caress you OP. I'd completely forgotten about that and now I'm mad again.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

the only one I ever did was "spaceship running out of oxygen" themed and it was pretty fun albeit quick and incredibly morbid when you stopped to think about it for a second

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want Lizzo outside to hear an Ocarina in time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The last time I did an escape room, it was with coworkers and I ended up having to pee so bad that the people running the thing had to let me out. Very embarrassing. I mean, I was allowed to come back and we were allowed to continue escaping the room, but I felt like an rear end in a top hat for breaking kayfabe.

Every other time I've done escape rooms, it was also with coworkers but fun as hell.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they call it an escape room because when you see the building you turn 360 degrees and escape away

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Never look up or else you may see beauty inside. That or UFOs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

YeahTubaMike posted:

The last time I did an escape room, it was with coworkers and I ended up having to pee so bad that the people running the thing had to let me out. Very embarrassing. I mean, I was allowed to come back and we were allowed to continue escaping the room, but I felt like an rear end in a top hat for breaking kayfabe.

Every other time I've done escape rooms, it was also with coworkers but fun as hell.

Shoulda just peed in the room somewhere. There's usually empty bottles or jars lying around.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I really hate the ones that have someone standing in the room with you, especially if you have to interact with them as part of the puzzles. All of my favorite ones that I have done have just had someone watching via a camera that you can ask for clues (or they tell you "Quit trying to take the painting frame off of the wall that isn't part of the puzzle", etc)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I’m sure that The Adventure Game and The Crystal Maze came before any Flash games. I think there was one on Ghost Train for a while too. Granted they weren’t public experiences but I’m sure it’s a much older format.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

All your life is an escape room and your task is to escape misery and the puzzle is the human condition, if you think about :cool:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I've never been to one and I feel like if it was through work I would feel obligated to try it even if I don't really want to. I have had similar things like this when I was in school and I always hated things where you had to work in a group. The worst was one where we had to recreate a shape made with toothpicks and marshmallows and we had to do it as a group of like 5 people and each person had to walk a ways to get to the next one. So basically it was like telephone but harder. I don't know how the group that won actually did it. I always hated "activities" like this. I don't think I would like it but I'd be willing to try I guess if my friends were really into it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I took my parents to an escape room once. I called ahead and asked if the room would be appropriate for my mom who is in her 60s with a bad back who can't do much bending or lifting. They assured me it was great for anyone of any ability.

Half the room's puzzles required you to be in a crawlspace.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I've been interested in checking out an escape room but my friends are all a bunch of dumb dumbs and I know I would end up choking one of them. Yes, I am aware that this is really a me problem.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Rosalind posted:

I took my parents to an escape room once. I called ahead and asked if the room would be appropriate for my mom who is in her 60s with a bad back who can't do much bending or lifting. They assured me it was great for anyone of any ability.

Half the room's puzzles required you to be in a crawlspace.

That's pretty loving stupid they thought that was fine for an older person but even for me I would nope the gently caress out on that. I hate enclosed spaces.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I tried to break into an escape room and it was like a matter antimatter explosion so me and about 40,000 people died instantly

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I found the game I was talking about
https://toggl.com/track/team-building-games/

quote:

#6 Sneak a Peek

Time: 20 Minutes
Number of Participants: 2-20
Items Needed: Building materials (clay, toothpick, plasticine, legos) Goal: Recreate an object out of building materials only going off a verbal description.
In this game, divide the group into multiple teams. One person from each team is selected to view a hidden object or sculpture. They only have 10 seconds at a time to peek at the sculpture and must relay the information that they see to the rest of their group. The group must try to recreate the sculpture based on the peek person's description.
Players must trust the team member to describe it accurately and listen to their instructions. It can help break down management barriers if you select a lower-level person as the person to view the sculpture. In a different position than they are accustomed to, it pushes them to adjust, direct a team and communicate clearly.
Follow Up Questions:

Did you successfully recreate the object?

Was there any bit of the description that confused you? 

When did you benefit most from working as a team?
Hated it

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Trapped in escape room, can’t get out! Ran out of food days ago, water is running low, air is getting thick and sour, building must be airtight, not much time left, call for help

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

These seem like fun, if you're a bedwetter type

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

These seem like fun, if you're a bedwetter type

Lol what if you do have to pee tho? Someone should do a combo of one of those rooms where you can smash stuff to pieces with an escape room where you can piss on anything you want too. :haibrower:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cubone posted:

I went to an escape room, one of the originals, because I'm hip, the Real Escape Game in japantown, which they had brought over from japan and I believe kicked off the craze

it was good
and I went to another one later that was like following the trend and that one loving sucked, but the REG was good

it was a big room of furniture and you had to basically tear apart every piece of furniture because there were clues loving everywhere and you'd see like a picture of a red heart with a 7 in it and be like :confused: or realize a chair has a hollow leg and pull it off and there's like, half of a screwdriver hidden inside and you had to find the other half so you could unscrew stuff

or, there was a volume of Death Note on a table, and something directed you to a certain page inside that showed the guy unscrewing a pen and using the ink tube thingy inside to push up the false bottom of a drawer, and if you did that to the drawer in that table, more clues

or, everything you weren't supposed to touch had a little sticker on it, and one of the light switches didn't have a sticker on it, and if you turned it off right away, you wouldn't see anything, but if you did it towards the end, some glow in the dark paint would have gotten enough glow, and it was over a loose tile or board or something? it was a long time ago it's getting hard to remember

stuff like that

and it was cool because there were all kinds of different types of puzzles, and you didn't have to get every bit of it to progress, because most of them gave answers that were just parts of a big riddle, and you could infer the blank spots you didn't get from the context of what you did

and we thought we had it, but we got the key and opened the door, and instead of the exit there was another, smaller room back there with a chair covered in blood? and we were like "oh, right, this was called 'the mystery of the dude who was murdered in his favorite chair' or something" and at that point we had like 5 minutes left and we gave it a shot but it wasn't happening

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i hate em

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The one with a bunch of vintage poo poo in it where the lady who ran the place kept yelling “Don’t touch the lamp/vase/typewriter” over the loudspeaker was a loving bummer.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ive been to the hitler experience escape room a few times but never could beat it. the farthest i could get is opening the safe with the gun in it. they wouldn't give me anymore clues at that point.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Szyznyk posted:

The one with a bunch of vintage poo poo in it where the lady who ran the place kept yelling “Don’t touch the lamp/vase/typewriter” over the loudspeaker was a loving bummer.

you just went to some grandma's house lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Lol what if you do have to pee tho? Someone should do a combo of one of those rooms where you can smash stuff to pieces with an escape room where you can piss on anything you want too. :haibrower:

I think in many modern ones you aren’t actually locked in, you just have to get the key to a second exit door.