Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apparently ozone smells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy a lil bit of chemistry. some people say things like “me and my cat have chemistry” but that’s not the kind of chemistry I am
talking about here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
discuss your pee orbitals itt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fast fact : pH7 is water

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

for extra points : what is this compound

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

axolotl farmer posted:

Tellurium. inhaling the vapor turns it into an organic compound that gives you garlic breath.

Tellurium is in the same period as sulfur and selenium, all known for forming very stinky compounds.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

i was right either way

some sulfur, arsenic, selenium and tellurium compounds (all in the same area of the periodic table) have garlic-like odors iirc. not sure if one of them makes everything taste like garlic. tellurium poisoning maybe?

one fascinating and relatively harmless demo you can do in chemistry class is put a drop of dimethyl sulfoxide on your hand. in like five seconds you will taste garlic as the DMSO instantly goes through your skin and into your bloodstream and is carried around your body.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just some great posts about chemistry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

lead, mercury and low level radioactivity are things people are way too sensitive about. Its fine, just dont slather it everywhere and dont eat it or burn it and huff the fumes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

thats what yospos.xlsm is for

please keep your non chemistry thoughts and opinions out of this thread

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I almost went back to school for chemistry (but then the pandemic hit and I got conservative about throwing my whole life away), I suspect chemistry scratches the same itch as thinking about computer programs

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

ballzene

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mods please be noble and gas

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

NoneMoreNegative posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
its not really chemistry precisely but i am super fascinated by high entropy alloys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1B4VbLX9rA

rotor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 19, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like so my understanding is that typically you have alloys that are almost entirely one element (say iron) at like 98% and the alloying materials are like 0.3% one thing (carbon), 1% another thing (vanadium) and 0.7% another (chrome)

this is done because starting from the base element is an easy starting point and you tweak it from there. Obviously you have this massive explosion of possible materials when you start to say "ok why dont we test all possible combinations of these 5 elements" and no one has ever really done any rigorous exploration of the area until very recently.

So people are finding these wild materials with crazy properties like being both very hard but also very ductile and so on, with metals like Al9xCo15xCr15xNi70−x with x ranging from 0 to 35%

Its super interesting to me and i wish i understood more about it.

rotor fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 19, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here are some chemicals with funny names:

arsole
fucitol
thebacon
uranate
squaric acid

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the dude in the video kinda has this insuffereabe englishman voice but he's correct when he's like "we define civilizations by the materials they use" - none of us would be posting here if silicon didnt have the properties it does

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Here are some chemicals with funny names:

arsole
fucitol
thebacon
uranate
squaric acid

i have this very dim but specific memory of some ancient forum post where some geology grad student was naming two new minerals and asked the forums about it and got "amirite" and "ursorite"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

"ok why dont we test all possible combinations of these 5 elements" and no one has ever really done any rigorous exploration of the area until very recently.

We should make a machine that automatically makes and tests every possible combination of every metal in 0.1% increments. Probably a lot of crap but there's bound to be some good ones in there too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

We should make a machine that automatically makes and tests every possible combination of every metal in 0.1% increments. Probably a lot of crap but there's bound to be some good ones in there too

my understanding is that its not that easy because ... reasons, idk. but yeah.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you can get into a lot of trouble by combining the wrong chemicals

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

if you mix a little niobium in with your aluminum, the niobium gets in between the grains of aluminum and holds them together, making the alloy much stronger

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

many such cases

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my first project in grad school was to try and figure out electroplating copper. kind of a waste of time, better to just pay the professionals. but i moved my setup from one lab to another and i took a bottle of opened concentrated sulfuric acid across several states in a little rubber pail. not sure if i was “supposed” to do that or not.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah but it might also look really cool

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
check out THIS brozone hole:

code:

* g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x *
g                                               g
o /     \             \            /    \       o
a|       |             \          |      |      a
t|       `.             |         |       :     t
s`        |             |        \|       |     s
e \       | /       /  \\\   --__ \\       :    e
x  \      \/   _--~~          ~--__| \     |    x
*   \      \_-~                    ~-_\    |    *
g    \_     \        _.--------.______\|   |    g
o      \     \______// _ ___ _ (_(__>  \   |    o
a       \   .  C ___)  ______ (_(____>  |  /    a
t       /\ |   C ____)/      \ (_____>  |_/     t
s      / /\|   C_____)       |  (___>   /  \    s
e     |   (   _C_____)\______/  // _/ /     \   e
x     |    \  |__   \\_________// (__/       |  x
*    | \    \____)   `----   --'             |  *
g    |  \_          ___\       /_          _/ | g
o   |              /    |     |  \            | o
a   |             |    /       \  \           | a
t   |          / /    |         |  \           |t
s   |         / /      \__/\___/    |          |s
e  |           /        |    |       |         |e
x  |          |         |    |       |         |x
* g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x *

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

echinopsis posted:

<me, briefly confused at why this is a question before realizing not everyone recognizes a diagram of PCP on sight>

where's that vid of some dude talking over the PowerPoint template with all the "interesting" choices of example molecules again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eeyo posted:

my first project in grad school was to try and figure out electroplating copper. kind of a waste of time, better to just pay the professionals. but i moved my setup from one lab to another and i took a bottle of opened concentrated sulfuric acid across several states in a little rubber pail. not sure if i was “supposed” to do that or not.

if chemists stuck to what they were “supposed” to do we’d still be in the iron age and setting fire women
who can count past the number of fingers they had

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i liked chemistry in high school, so in college when i needed a physical science to fulfill requirements, i took intro chem. little did i know that this was a weedout class for premeds. i remember leaving an entire page of the final exam blank. still got a B due to the curve. and that was the end of my chemistry story

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

like so my understanding is that typically you have alloys that are almost entirely one element (say iron) at like 98% and the alloying materials are like 0.3% one thing (carbon), 1% another thing (vanadium) and 0.7% another (chrome)

this is done because starting from the base element is an easy starting point and you tweak it from there. Obviously you have this massive explosion of possible materials when you start to say "ok why dont we test all possible combinations of these 5 elements" and no one has ever really done any rigorous exploration of the area until very recently.

So people are finding these wild materials with crazy properties like being both very hard but also very ductile and so on, with metals like Al9xCo15xCr15xNi70−x with x ranging from 0 to 35%

Its super interesting to me and i wish i understood more about it.

this is extremely sick

I watched a you tube where this dude just melts like every metal he could get and makes like the world most powerful alloy and yeah the end result looks boring but wow it’s got lots of numbers in it

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it’s kinda messed up those courses exist. i think intro physics courses are the same.

i got credit from ap chemistry classes in high school so i didn’t have to submit to the weedout courses it was great.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
me, using chemistry to develop the worlds greatest shitpost

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

echinopsis posted:

this is extremely sick

I watched a you tube where this dude just melts like every metal he could get and makes like the world most powerful alloy and yeah the end result looks boring but wow it’s got lots of numbers in it

was it one of those high entropy alloys? i think that’s a hot topic these days. they’re mixtures of like 5 metals in almost equal proportions, and they’re supposed to be mixed up at the crystal level (so it’s not like regions of one metal beside regions of another metal. every lattice point ends up with a different element).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

the dude in the video kinda has this insuffereabe englishman voice but he's correct when he's like "we define civilizations by the materials they use" - none of us would be posting here if silicon didnt have the properties it does

what age are we in anyway?

like we still use iron more than any other metal. technically it's steel but we didn't call the bronze age the "copper age" either. are we still iron age?

aluminum is the only relatively new metal that i'd say has had enough of an impact on the world to define an age. but we're less than 200 years into that and the bronze age lasted 2000 years

you could argue for the silicon age i guess in terms of cultural impact but it's even newer than aluminum and we use so little by volume. future archaeologists aren't gonna find a layer of doped silicon in the garbage dumps. plus silicon is a metalloid.

plastic age?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve watched a lot of Nile red and a bunch of extractions&ire and I feel like I’ve learned nothing relevant to my life. all I’ve learned is how to make dubious compounds like chlorophorm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

you could argue for the silicon age i guess

plastic age?

one or the other, idk, i think its gonna be something historians decide, if theres still historians around in 1000 years.