Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Part way through this and it’s interesting to see how badly these games can be broken through memory address manipulation or when played in a way that wasn’t intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I skipped towards the end and I don't like how he says bobomb. It's like "buhBOM" and I always thought it was BOBom.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Dixville posted:

I skipped towards the end and I don't like how he says bobomb. It's like "buhBOM" and I always thought it was BOBom.

wow spoilers much?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've fallen asleep three times to this video so far, I think I finally found a replacement for benzodiazepines.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's wild that they managed to get it down so low.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

super sweet best pal posted:

It's wild that they managed to get it down so low.

came here to post this

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol at all these so called speedrunners still stuck on mario 64. i finished it 25 years ago.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Doodoo doot doodoodoo *fart*

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
so long, gay button

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Oh boy something I can use as meaningless background noise while I obsessively breed Pokemon for competitive play my day is SET

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Treecko posted:

Oh boy something I can use as meaningless background noise while I obsessively breed Pokemon for competitive play my day is SET

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Call me when they’re doing a B button challenge

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pepper Crab
Mar 2, 2013

Konar posted:

probably aged the worst of any main mario game

If this is true, it's only because Sunshine was already bad when it came out

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
They forgot to finish Sunshine lol

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Lt. Cock posted:

What is the A button challenge

How many times do you need to press the A button to beat Mario 64.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I need clarification on half a button press.

If releasing a button is half a press, then if I get a star by pressing A once and never releasing, surely that also means the level is done in half a press? The original "Half A Press" video seemed to imply that completing a level with half a button press is a unique achievement but it seems to me there are a lot of levels that can be beat by only pressing A once and never releasing.

Please reply with 500 words or more, tia.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Rahu posted:

If releasing a button is half a press, then if I get a star by pressing A once and never releasing, surely that also means the level is done in half a press? The original "Half A Press" video seemed to imply that completing a level with half a button press is a unique achievement but it seems to me there are a lot of levels that can be beat by only pressing A once and never releasing.

Have you watched the video? This is answered pretty clearly and you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Rahu posted:

In episode 2F09 when Itchy plays Scratchy’s skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

satanic splash-back posted:

Have you watched the video? This is answered pretty clearly and you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching.

I think I did but it has been a minute and I don't remember that part. Very likely I stopped part way through.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

eh I'll wait for the Karl Jobst video after it's revealed that someone or everyone involved cheated

This is the only jobst anyone needs to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ghzh5ijEWc

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Rahu posted:

Holding a button press has subtle effects that may allow a successful run through a level

If you jump in on level "A" but also hold the button down for the rest of the level , exit the level while holding it down , and entering level "B" with the a button still held down for the subtle effects you have completed a half a press

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Releasing isn't a half press, the press is considered to happen as soon as the game registers the button being triggered, the length of time held or if it's ever released don't matter.

The half comes into play when keeping records on individual segments of the game rather than a whole playthrough. Beginning the segment with the button already held affects the gameplay, so for fairness' sake it needs to be accounted for.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Ya watch the fuckin video

The half is rounded down for continuous play a d rounded up for individual level play

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bossy lady posted:

Cant wait for the 5 part 20 hour series on why silent hill is actually about circumcision

What was the story there? I remember hearing something about it, was it that someone got obsessed with the idea and the drama consumed the Silent Hill wiki?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if you take your controller apart and replace the buttons with some other mechanism you could complete the whole run with zero a button presses

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Bad Purchase posted:

if you take your controller apart and replace the buttons with some other mechanism you could complete the whole run with zero a button presses

:hmmyes:

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Mrio

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Video games

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's not even close, the game kinda sucked on release

actually it was incredible and one of the best games ever, hth

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i still have the beach towel from pre-ordering super mario sunshine i take it with me camping

thats all i got

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rahu posted:

Basically pressing A makes you jump, obviously. But the game is also continuously checking whether A is held down, and if it is there are other moves you can do, like air kicking, slightly faster swimming, and other weird nuances.

Sometimes those nuances are required to complete a star, but jumping or firing from a cannon aren't. Therefore, a necessary jump could be performed in the castle or during another star, and then the A button held down all the way until that nuanced movement is needed later.

The necessary jump in the earlier star is 1xA. If you were only performing fast swimming in the later star, by itself, that would also be 1xA for that star, for a total of two a-presses. But because the fast swimming and necessary jump in total require only one A press across the entire 120 star project, any stars that can be completed just through holding are notated as 0.5xA to reflect that they can leech off other button presses earlier in a full routed run.

It's a notation for the benefit of planners, not audiences.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So the video's like over five hrs. Ain't watching that unless Mario dies at the end.

Like if he doesn't even die at the end what's the point in watching?

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's not even close, the game kinda sucked on release

Lmao at thinking this

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
“This kinda sucks... doesn’t look like it will age well... (I definitely thought this as a kid) gonna play Bubsy 3D instead”

Anyone who says sm64 sucked in real time should also say what contemporary games they thought were better so they can be appropriately and mercilessly clowned upon

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saying that Mario 64 didn't age well, the one game that people of like 4 generations by now, two of which younger than it tune in to play on twitch with 2.5m followers, might be the closest thing I've seen to an opinion that is objectively wrong.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Yeah it's a bit like watching Casablanca

Not perfect, but set the design language for decades to come, and some games today haven't learnt the lessons it taught

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

EEKA GEEK posted:

“This kinda sucks... doesn’t look like it will age well... (I definitely thought this as a kid) gonna play Bubsy 3D instead”

Anyone who says sm64 sucked in real time should also say what contemporary games they thought were better so they can be appropriately and mercilessly clowned upon

i'm not trying to defend the mario 64 haters, it's still a great game today, but depending on how you define contemporary, the couple of years from '96 to '98 when most of us probably played mario 64 the first time was a golden age for games that founded or perfected a genre. just off the top of my head, within that time frame we got:

half-life, ocarina of time, fallout 1 & 2, starcraft, chrono trigger, ff7, metal gear solid, goldeneye, symphony of the night, mario kart 64, baldur's gate

i'm sure that's just scratching the surface.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What was the story there? I remember hearing something about it, was it that someone got obsessed with the idea and the drama consumed the Silent Hill wiki?

Dunno if there's a good source anymore (google search didn't give much) but there was some SH wiki admin who wrote articles about how SH was actually about the horrors of circumcision, former SA poster VoidBurger found it and laughed at it on Twitter, causing people to try to fix said weird edits, leading to said admin having a meltdown, hijacking the wiki for awhile, and also revealing they even made more circumcision edits on other game wikis.

Good old fashioned internet meltdown over weirdo poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mega64 posted:

Dunno if there's a good source anymore (google search didn't give much) but there was some SH wiki admin who wrote articles about how SH was actually about the horrors of circumcision, former SA poster VoidBurger found it and laughed at it on Twitter, causing people to try to fix said weird edits, leading to said admin having a meltdown, hijacking the wiki for awhile, and also revealing they even made more circumcision edits on other game wikis.

Good old fashioned internet meltdown over weirdo poo poo.

I love internet so much