Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
wanted to see more of microwave's mom :jackbud:

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
A friend in high school talked me into registering because of Zoofights. I miss Zoofights.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
a permabanned user who shall remain nameless bought me my account as a christmas present

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gbs pantsshitting threads circa 2005 had my dumb 14 year old rear end laughing like a donkey

Also there was a thread where a guy convinced goons to boil their piss to extract pheromones that was just :perfect:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I think I got linked to the front page from ToTSE way back in the day, and then eventually found my way onto the forums for Photoshop Fridays. Couldn't get an account until I was 18 because I didn't have a card (and wasn't going to ask my parents to pay for an account to a weird internet forum)

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
The Space Robot Bonanza animation was played on TechTV's Eye Drops way back in like 2002 and it captured my interest and amusement at the time. Fortunately, I was smart enough to avoid purchasing an account as a preteen, and just read the forums for 20 years instead, laughing at P-p-p-powerbooks and lost fingats and mannequin molesters until I felt like I was enough of an idiot to fit in, but not too much of one to get banned.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Back in like 1999 my brother showed me LEET LIEK JEFF K!!!!!!! and the Survivor-ish game dev comics

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
a classmate of mine said this is where he was getting help with coding schoolwork. i joined a few days after he got perma'd in the deviantart thread.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
The neighbor kid showed me the Christmas in Middle-Earth Photoshop Phriday and I was hooked

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Toxic Mental posted:

Back in like 1999 my brother showed me LEET LIEK JEFF K!!!!!!! and the Survivor-ish game dev comics

Some coworker was trying to describe Jeff K to me back in 2000 and I had no idea what the gently caress he was going on about but when I eventually ended up here I fell into the Photoshop Phriday rabbit hole and haven't left since

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
I think it might've been 9/11. Lurking as a teenager I found alot of the cruel and distasteful stuff absolutely hilarious.

Some of the e/n type threads were enthralling, that graves guy possibly killing someone in a carpark. Some kid who wanted to save the soul of one of his sisters friends but then turned out actually just to fancy her and made her a mix cd in the end.

The ask/tell forum was really interesting and as a non American it had lots of interesting stuff. The gun forum was also strangely alluring.

The traditional art thread in the creative forum, and photography ones often have loads of great stuff.

I'm not sure why I ever bothered to buy an account though. My posts are irredeemable. I did totally believe the forums were running out of money at one point so maybe that prompted it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't remember that far back,.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Goons dogpiling on Deceased Crab and some flintstone memes in GBS

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nakar's Ultima 7 LP is what caused me to start lurking, I ended up joining a year later.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Penny Arcade linked the forums back in 1999. I registered this account when they switched over from the old boards in 2000

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I was at a LAN party and during some down time stumbled across the AYB thread as it was taking off. We played a lot of Motocross Madness that weekend, Quake also I'm guessing, it's been a while.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

A banner ad on Hecklers.com like 20 years ago. Then I liked the weird movie reviews on the front page like The Stuff and Terror Toons.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
All the funny posters on X-Entertainment's old forums posted there, and I was left without a forum home when that had the plug pulled on it because that must have been about 2002 and being edgy was in. I lurked for a while and then pulled the trigger a couple of years later.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I used to play an unhealthy amount of Quake

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pretty sure it was let's plays.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
all of the content making fun of those two buildings falling down probably

and bit torrent

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I was hypnotized :goatsecx:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
We get 2 or 3 of these threads a year I think.

My first exposure was in my second year of college, so fall 2002 winter/spring 2003.

Don't remember when exactly, but someone on another forum posted alink to a thread titled "My mother is insane".

It was about some hoarder mom who had so much poo poo in her house, had paths going between rooms etc.....

I wanted to join because I checked out some other stuff too, but you had to pay and I didn't have a credit card.

I finally got a credit card in summer of 2007 and theres a good chance that a forums membership is the first thing I bought with it.

Got banned in 2011 ish. Tried to unban myself but for whatever reason poo poo wasn't working properly. Tried periodically from whenever I got banned until I finally re-reged on whatever date it says above my av.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
heard about SA and how stupid and lovely it was from my l33t Quake 3 clan and decided to singlehandedly ruin the forums all subversive like, and that's why the general quality of posts has consistently trended toward "not good" and "more poorly". i'm not gonna start posting better, even though i've already won, and no i won't let up, not for a second, not until every post is

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
LUElinks wouldn’t let me in, but SA was more than happy to take my :10bux:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

LUElinks wouldn’t let me in, but SA was more than happy to take my :10bux:

the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks 'eti'?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Junk posted:

the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks 'eti'?

this was a good thread

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I actually distinctly remember exactly what it was. It was the fake patch notes for everquest that made priests dramatically overpowered, that was the first thing I ever saw that directed me here

https://www.somethingawful.com/everquest/infamous-cleric-petition/

Katamari Democracy posted:

Goons dogpiling on Deceased Crab and some flintstone memes in GBS

Wait, what problem did they have with this guy? I used his playthrough of La Mulana to get through trickier parts of the game back when there were no tutorials for it

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I don't remember, but I'd been reading the frontpage; Photoshop Phriday, Fashion SWAT, Weekend Web, etc., since like 10th grade. My buddies and I got shushed a lot in the highschool library for laughing too loud at the articles.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

kntfkr posted:

I don't remember that far back,.

Me either :smith: I have a LiveJournal entry from Feb 2005 that casually mentions checking the forums every day after checking my email, but no details other than that -- no notes about how long I'd been lurking, or what forums I preferred, or what threads I was reading...

edit: the only forums-related note I can find is about SA Idol, which started three months after I regged so it's probably not a factor

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 22, 2022

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
RolandTower made a flamethrower.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I was really into Quake as a kid and Lowtax was funny (at the time) on PlanetQuake.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Retsupurae.

Oh god. This will be so loving embarrassing. I watched slow beef and Proteus poo poo talk people for hours and hours. I probably have watched some of these videos 100 times. Because there was such a good genuine humor and for a 14 year old kid this was too notch comedy especially in
For 4 years I watched from the sidelines and never read a post in SA until I made an account. I was fascinated with all things goon but it was still a mystery of who the hell goons were other than cool eve scammers and making fun of let's play.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 22, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
DEREK SMART’S DESKTOP COMMANDER

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6pbz3ROvQ

this youtube video

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
For me it was seeing a thread where some goon was explaining the best way to steal Christmas trees and which types of trees were worth the most. It was very detailed

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

There was a man stuck inside a police cordon

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

For me it was seeing a thread where some goon was explaining the best way to steal Christmas trees and which types of trees were worth the most. It was very detailed

So you actually made money buying an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Beer_Suitcase posted:

There was a man stuck inside a police cordon

Please give me some context I must know