Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The PVC flamethrower thread got printed out and passed around my friend group in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
A Bruiser thread

But not the wonderful street sweeper stories, but rather it was the massive loving waterslide he carved in his backyard. Tons of construction photos and pictures of drunk folks sliding down this mega slip and slide.

And I found it through Digg, so I'm probably the only goon who was converted via the loving Digg button

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I honestly don't remember any more. I think I stumbled on the front page and started reading those articles, and then gradually got into the forums. I didn't register until 2006 but I was reading the front page/forums long before that.

I don't remember how I came across the front page in the first place though.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Someone posted some random Lowtax articles on another forum I was on. I started reading the frontpage regularly after that because Lowtax's humor was like crack for an early-2000s teenage internet user. It was actually a long time until I decided to visit the forums, which were free back then.

I was no stranger to forums, but the ones I posted in were full of people that were in my same age range (17-24), with the same hobbies, and some of whom I had met IRL. Many of us were friends on AIM and ICQ. The posters numbered in the low hundreds. Going from that positive environment to the SA forums was like being a cornfed farm boy visiting NYC for the first time and watching a homeless guy take a poo poo in the middle of a busy sidewalk while everyone ignored him, even when he started wiping with a stray pigeon.

The forums at the time kinda felt like being back in high school but in all the worst ways, so I left after a very short period. I returned during the Ozma, etc., ban-happy days and it felt like high school if all the worst kids had tazers. I'm glad for the looseness the forums have now, but that's also probably partially due to the age of the posters compared to before.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

PITY BONER posted:

I'm glad for the looseness the forums have now,

LMAO

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I was a frequent front page visitor during high school 00-02, but never ventured into the forums until probably 04-05. Lurked on a friends account while I worked nights for two years and then finally bought my own.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 22, 2022

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Please give me some context I must know

Every post i see is made by some rando I forget every time I close my phone.

But he was British, he was trapped in police cordon. He made an order for food and had the delivery man try to penetrate the police cordon.

I think he made a costume. I hit the paywall and paid my :10bux:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Here's the goon behind the police cordon thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1621486

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Ahh there we go! Thanks Vim Fuego!

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
some other forum i posted on died and gayed too close to the sun

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

I liked i-mockery and after googling for more of this kinda stuff I stumbled upon Lowtax's lovely game demo & energy drink reviews, that was in 2003 or so. Then I was guest lurking in the forums a lot. I just felt like buying an account, it was time :shrug: it's funny, now that the paywall doesn't seem to be a thing anymore anyway but there you go.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was sucking off a clown in the park, making hella eye contact and he got this bemused look on his face, pulled my head off his cock, pulled out his phone, and typed “FART!” into an SA thread. He said to me “sorry for interrupting, but I thought of something really epic and funny and had to post it”. Then he pulled the dildo I was sucking out of his pants and threw it in the trash and pulled out his real dick, but that dick was a dildo too. But then after that it was his real dick.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cliff Yablonski, back when it was still being updated. Although that was mostly the front page - I didn't really make it to the forums until like 2005-2006 or so.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

One of my first internet experiences was watching a friend go through the Hardy Boys photoshops. Then in College I came back and got into the forums proper because of the ghost story threads and gradually cottoned on to the Let's Play Oregon Trail thread. Once the first SA Christmas Music thread hit I knew I'd never leave.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
Photoshop Friday. There was one about snacks for goons, and the phrase "lightly roffled" on a packet of crisps still drops into my head every now & again. From there, it was just a short hop into the wonderland that is the Forums...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
J4G Eve online Goonswam.

I did not get in but stayed anyway. Thank you for giving me a home.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

honestly I think it was because I saw that flash animation Neil Ciciregia did making fun of Eric Bauman when I was browsing AlbinoBlackSheep

this is the one I'm talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKkz3KRKsOQ

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
It was a Margarita thread about all the different margarita mixers goons used. It was the funniest loving thing I'd ever read. It just kept getting more and more absurd.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
someone on another forum sent me a link to cliff yablonski on aim

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Meme Emulator posted:

Wait, what problem did they have with this guy? I used his playthrough of La Mulana to get through trickier parts of the game back when there were no tutorials for it

I dont remember the full story but Deceased Crab was a very high volume let's player and was an eccentric personality. Youtube was still in it's infancy stages and there did not exist higher definition videos. DC exclusively posted his videos to youtube and goons have given him more than enough feedback to mirror the videos to other websites for better quality; he always ignored them.

Then one day he made a Tyrian 2000 thread and goons quickly hijacked his thread. Goons were posting videos in his thread with much better quality but the goons who made said videos would only barely talk about the game and instead would only highlight the lovely Ego DC had.

DC closed the original thread and made a new one, and thus the LP mods at the time got pissed off and promoted Slowbeef. Goons then quickly gathered that DC was only in it to become internet famous and dogpiled him out of SA. He does post here from time to time from what I gathered years ago but not sure about now. He still posts LPs on his youtube.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The tuggin thread. Just knew this was the right community for me

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Guy liveposting his STDH thread of keeping the servers running through Katrina

Bruiser threads

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Some guy at work was howling laughing one day back in like '99 or whenever goons raided that Jeopardy game.

A few years later another coworker pulled me in about Cliff Yablonski or the sidetalkin' thing I forget

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And the Dating Game invasions, good lord

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Photoshop Fridays are largely what got me here.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
There was a ww1 half life mod called "The Trenches", the weapons modeler recommended SA and I was hooked being the impressionable youth I was.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

where da moviez at

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

I took a look because I was interested in seeing what 4chan had spun off of just as I was leaving high school, where I was very much an internet addled neckbeard. I caught a sixer my first day and advised to lurk more, which was a nicer reception than I deserved at the time. I got to watch Slenderman take shape in real time, which locked me in.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I was moving out of town and was worried that I wouldn't find a network of like minded regular pants-shitters where I was moving to, and my friends told me about the forums.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Easily Zoofights. I really caught on around the season that introduced Croctopus and his first match was against a pride of arctic mega-lions dragging a train mounted railgun named Prejudice. I miss it but I'm pretty sure it drove Major Failure insane from the effort.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Moments: A Game Of Consequence

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hosted site Cliff Yablonski Hates You
https://www.somethingawful.com/cliff-yablonski

and after years of sporadic viewings of that, realising there was a Forum.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Katamari Democracy posted:

I dont remember the full story but Deceased Crab was a very high volume let's player and was an eccentric personality. Youtube was still in it's infancy stages and there did not exist higher definition videos. DC exclusively posted his videos to youtube and goons have given him more than enough feedback to mirror the videos to other websites for better quality; he always ignored them.

Then one day he made a Tyrian 2000 thread and goons quickly hijacked his thread. Goons were posting videos in his thread with much better quality but the goons who made said videos would only barely talk about the game and instead would only highlight the lovely Ego DC had.

DC closed the original thread and made a new one, and thus the LP mods at the time got pissed off and promoted Slowbeef. Goons then quickly gathered that DC was only in it to become internet famous and dogpiled him out of SA. He does post here from time to time from what I gathered years ago but not sure about now. He still posts LPs on his youtube.

Why did everyone care so bad where he hosted his videos? Jokes on them I guess, if DC put them on vimeo, theyd all be gone by now

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Meme Emulator posted:

Why did everyone care so bad where he hosted his videos? Jokes on them I guess, if DC put them on vimeo, theyd all be gone by now

Edit 2- Because the videos he posted to youtube the quality sucked. The videos blead and did some weird distortion stuff in high moving videos.

I just discovered this video but it's better to view this video than hear my input on this. But this explains a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tThMGpbAfw

Edit- I forgot DC got a lot of poo poo from his Parodius weird knock off Let's Play as it was deemed the 9/11 of Let's play even surpassing the Nostalgia Critic of his LP of the Simpsons.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 23, 2022

Tebulot
Apr 25, 2007

im hip now bois

Pillbug

Space Kablooey posted:

Iirc it was one of the GBS cyoas that I was reading at the time while logged out (either the deathcopter one or red, yellow, blue), and when the paywall came up, I decided to get an account. I had to ask my dad for his credit card though.

My first exposure to the website itself though was a jeffk article (? I think) making fun of warcraft 3. I played it a lot back then and I think it was supposed to make the players mad, but I just thought it was stupid. Then I discovered Photoshop phridays and such, and I really liked those.

Came here to post Deathcopter too!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
the sad truth is that if jeff k were alive today he would be a q anon chud

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Brawnfire posted:

And the Dating Game invasions, good lord

I still miss that game. That and Habbo Hotel invasions were some of the most fun I had with goons.

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tebulot posted:

Came here to post Deathcopter too!

The character hugging Deathcopter and getting injured by the propeller had me in stitches for the better part of a day