Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Great write-up, Shageletic! While it wasn't my #1 choice, I can't deny that Andor was masterful at making you FEEL for characters, some of whom literally only existed for an episode or two, and made all those little moments add up, reminding us that the Capital R revolution is built on thousands (milliions) of tiny little moments like an old woman who felt she could finally put on her best coat and walk across the town square she'd avoided for over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Great write-up, Shageletic! While it wasn't my #1 choice, I can't deny that Andor was masterful at making you FEEL for characters, some of whom literally only existed for an episode or two, and made all those little moments add up, reminding us that the Capital R revolution is built on thousands (milliions) of tiny little moments like an old woman who felt she could finally put on her best coat and walk across the town square she'd avoided for over a decade.

Thanks! It's great to see many goons converging on the same shows for this year, because that's just how good they were. But at a certain point I think any show on your top 10 if you spent alot of time watching TV is going to score 10/10s in every objective metric. Then it just comes down to the subjective, what particular show just hit you the best, in an almost ineffable way. That was me for Andor but I also agree with other ppls number ones too lol.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So this has been a very tumultuous year for me. It began with me moving several states away and starting a new job, and we also got a puppy and a kitten at the same time at the start of summer, we traveled a lot, I did a lot of writing, so my TV watching has really imploded this year. There are a lot of shows that I never got around to seeing (The Bear, Better Call Saul, The White Lotus) and some I started watching, got distracted, and never returned to (The Patient, The Boys, Only Murders in the Building). So I feel like I'm going into this with a lot of blind spots. But with that in mind, here is my top ten list:

10: The Resort (Peacock)
I went back and forth on what the tenth should be here, but settled on The Resort, which is almost unique in and of itself by being a good original miniseries from Peacock. This year and last year has seen a ton of true crime shows (Only Murders, Dr. Death, Dropout, Inventing Anna, WeCrashed spring immediately to mind) and resort-set shows (The White Lotus, Nine Perfect Strangers). The Resort starts out seeming like it will be a cross of those genres, and then reveals itself to actually be a magical realism show anchored by the great chemistry of William Jackson Harper and Cristin Milioti as a disillusioned couple, and the extremely charming Luis Gerardo Méndez (co-star of the fantastic Spanish Netflix show Club de Cuervos) as a would-be detective. While the final few minutes of the show were a bit disappointing in how fast everything was resolved, the journey was extremely solid, in a genre you don't generally see in English-language shows.

9: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)
As a long-time Trekkie, I know I have not been alone in not being satisfied with the recent offerings provided by Star Trek. And "recent" is doing a lot of work here. Unarguably, Strange New Worlds is the best Trek of this century, and it does it by going back to the basics, with the added twist of taking on very modern social issues while also looking to the 1950s for aesthetic inspiration. It's fun, it's utopian, and it's very Star Trek.

8: WeCrashed (Apple TV+)
As mentioned above, the last two years have seen an explosion of "true crime" shows, with this year alone seeing three prestige streaming miniseries based on real-life (and very recent) cases. Of them, I think WeCrashed was the best, as it dove head-first into how just truly weird and offputting these people are, while also letting the two leads fully indulge in the hamminess they deserve. Considering how since this show came out, Elon Musk has done his best to torch his reputation (and bank accounts), I appreciate even more that WeCrashed kept at its heart not some moral about the importance of truth or journalism or anything like that, but that rich tech people are just incredibly weird and unlikable and will gently caress over everyone to personally get ahead.

7: Prehistoric Planet (Apple TV+)
Just an incredible look at what might be called the home life of dinosaurs at the end of their epoch, with incredible CGI. Absolutely stunning, and extremely engrossing for a nonfiction quasi-documentary on prehistoric wildlife. What more needs to be said?

6: Light & Magic (Disney+)
I feel like I've seen nothing about this anywhere, which is somewhat shocking considering what it is: a six-part documentary on ILM, written and directed by Lawrence Kasdan, and featuring interviews with most of the surviving big names of ILM/Lucasfilm from the 1970s and 80s. Including Lucas himself, and getting George Lucas to participate in a Disney Star Wars production seems like a modern miracle. If you're at all interested in special effects and/or Lucasfilm history, this is a great series, but even if you aren't, listening to Phil Tippet, John Dykstra, Dennis Muren, and the like explain how they got into special effects, show off their early home movies, discuss how they solved various technical problems for now-iconic and groundbreaking shots - it's far more engrossing than almost any of Disney's Star Wars fiction from this year.

5: On Cinema (HEI Network)
Movie experts Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington return to cohost On Cinema and More! In the Mornings, the premiere entertainment show now sponsored by the mysterious lithium magnate G. Amato. Overcoming such problems as a car crash that puts Tim's two bandmates in the hospital, drinking septic "miracle water," and falling into a coma, Tim continues to skewer right-wing grifter culture in the guise of mocking opinionless YouTube movie "experts."

4: The Rehearsal (HBO Max)
Nathan for You is one of the greatest shows of the past decade, in my opinion (I say this as someone who owns a copy of The Movement). As glad as I am that Nathan helped throw his weight behind How To with John Wilson (a show that means a lot to me, as I'll say below) I was even more thrilled to see Nathan return to his own show. And what a show it is. This feels like a glimpse into Nathan's personality and creative process that takes the rawest parts of NFY and explodes them. If you asked me to tell you what the thesis of The Rehersal is or what it's "about" at its core, I'm not sure I really could, beyond being a combination of extremely impressive and cringey in brilliant ways. Particular shout-out to the episode "The Fielder Method" where he opens what can only be called a school for stalking that seems extremely reminiscent of "The Finders" cult.

3: Andor (Disney+)
I agree with whoever above said this feels like a West End Games RPG supplement from 1993 (and that's actually where Mon Mothma's lovely daughter originated from!). Of all the live-action Star Wars, this one feels the closest to what I imagined back when I was a kid and only had the three original movies to go off of - it goes its own path without being indebted to what Star Wars is "supposed" to be or without being full of gratuitous cameos. It's the first live-action Star Wars where lightsabers don't appear, and even the words "Force" and "Jedi" aren't mentioned once. Plus, it has some great action setpieces and tension-raising. And it has a ton of Star Wars politics! If Strange New Worlds gave us the best Star Trek in decades by going back to the Star Trek basics, Andor gives us the best Star Wars in decades by ignoring the Star Wars basics.

2: Severance (Apple TV+)
What if you crossed Dilbert and Dark City? Really, if you've seen it, there's nothing new I can add; if you haven't seen it, it really is best to go in cold. So I'll just say that Severance has a great score, a great intro sequence, and probably the best set design of the past few years. It's kind of funny that Mythic Quest this season also has a new set that's a bit similar to the Lumon office of Severance; it's just a shame the plot, acting, and atmosphere of MQ aren't anywhere near the exquisiteness of Severance.

1: Station Eleven (HBO Max)
I know this is a controversial add for a top ten list of 2022, especially for the number one spot, but for extremely subjective reasons there's no other show I would put here.

As I mentioned above, the start of 2022 (the end of January) my (now) fiancee and I moved and we both started new jobs. We had been living in Queens, New York for a number of years and had finally put down what felt like roots. We developed close friendships with several other couples in the area, became regulars at a few local places, weathered the pandemic. But when the pandemic hit, my fiancee lost her job, and ultimately to financially survive we had to relocate to the only place that was hiring, in Massachusetts (and not the area around Boston everyone thinks of when they think of Massachusetts).

Since we moved, we've struggled with finding new friends and keeping up with our old friends and family. One of our highlights was seeing our closest friend couple for a day over the summer when we met up halfway in Connecticut. But we also missed the announcement that they were pregnant to our old friend circle in New York. We both got covid for the first time over the summer, which was scary but also meant we missed the wedding of another friend, which would have been an opportunity for a reunion. But at the same time, we've been able to see family members more often up here we hadn't seen in a while, and have plans for friends to finally come up and visit. All the while, while not disliking where we are now, still having to deal with the feeling that we left a lot behind that we haven't yet gotten over.

So Station Eleven, a series about surviving a pandemic but having to leave the city, deal with relationships and people left behind while making new connections, building a new future while coming to terms with the grasp of the past - the show obviously still hits very hard to me. Which is a testament to how well it was made all around, because I definitely don't keep thinking back to Y or The Stand remake in the same way.

(As I mentioned above, whenever we get lonely for NYC, we watch an episode of How To with John Wilson - not only did we live relatively close to him in Queens and recognize well some of the places he goes in episodes, it also feels like the most accurate depiction of life in NYC in general and Queens specifically, especially the episode about finding a car parking spot which is 100% spot on to our experience in the city. It's a shame the second season finale was on December 31, 2021, because even if the last episode had been on January 1, I would have included it on this list. I'm glad it was renewed for a third season, but given the recent HBO track record....)

Honorable mentions:
The Afterparty
Dexter: New Blood
The Dropout
The Essex Serpent
The Great British Baking Show
House of the Dragon
Inventing Anna
Made for Love
Never Have I Ever
The Offer
Peacemaker
Servant
Stranger Things
The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window
Yellowjackets

Dishonorable mentions:
And Just Like That
The Flight Attendant
The Book of Boba Fett
The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Flight Attendant season 2 was such a disappointment. At least the first still works great as a miniseries

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's a lovely rationale for your number one Capone. Great writeup.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Really enjoying everyone's writeups so far, keep them coming!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It sounds like Severance is the best show I’m not watching. Every year this thread finds me another show I would have passed on left to my own devices. This thread in years past inspired me to watch Ted Lasso, For All Mankind, and Fleabag.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So you've seen Somebody Somewhere? I'm trying to find someone else who has lol

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It sounds like Severance is the best show I’m not watching. Every year this thread finds me another show I would have passed on left to my own devices. This thread in years past inspired me to watch Ted Lasso, For All Mankind, and Fleabag.

Severance was really excellent, and deeply strange in the best way.

Some shows I have been inspired to check out from this thread are Irma Vep, Strange New Worlds and Abbott Elementary, they all sound interesting/fun. Looking forward to digging in!

I feel like a heretic for not enjoying Andor, but I am glad so many people dug it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

So you've seen Somebody Somewhere? I'm trying to find someone else who has lol

It was on my longer list! Just outside of the top 25. Really great stuff.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Somebody Somewhere is part of my favourite recent trend; the five hour indie dramedy. See also Mr Corman, Life & Beth, High School, Fleishman is in Trouble, Bridge & Tunnel, Love Life, maybe Reservation Dogs and Undone as well. It feels like all these could be expansions of movies that had a Duplass brother credited as producer.

It's not exactly new really, (take actual Duplass joint Togetherness as an early example), but it seems the current demand for streaming content has allowed them to flourish. Which probably means they're not long for this world.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Yeah, these threads are how I ended up watching Fleabag which was just an incredible television series.

And yes, Severance rules!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shageletic posted:

1. Andor

How is this show my number one, in a year of BCS, Severance and Reservation Dogs? It doesn't take as deep a character study as other shows on this list, it doesn't fill an episode with enough twists and turns that you need a minute to take it all in, it doesn't wow you with its inventive story or narrative risk.

What it does set out to do over its dozen or so episodes is tell you a tale as polemic, as political, as the diagetic in story voice memos calling for revolution. REVOLUTION in bright capitalized letters, slashed across the boundaries of episode ends, not content to let the contours of the hour drama stop i5self from essentially creating three different movies, with increasing levels of reward as a result. I'm a fan of this stuff, grand stories spread over dozens of characters telling a story of humanity and the struggle to remain human. And every line, every acting choice, every directorial trick and sci fi bit of world building, was aimed at that. This show was a message, a riotus series of introductions and paid off climaxes, that had me cheering and weeping within moments of each other. This just FEELS new, and that's why it's my number one.

i'll spare you my star wars rants except to say after rogue 1 I quit Star Warring with it and intend to never see a new one... but this write-up and a couple others really have me thinking maybe I could watch and enjoy this show without even touching my dumb star wars baggage. I love sci-fi and fantasy and space and revolution and incredible intricate person-level worldbuilding. I think I'll give this a shot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a good show OP. Even if you’re not super into it in the end it’s absolutely worth a shot.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I did my best!!

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Love is Blind: Japan (Netflix) - Just like the American Love is Blind, but in Japan! Fans of Terrace House should absolutely check this show out, as it has a very similar vibe.

Alone S8 (History Channel) - 10 contestants are air-lifted into the wilderness with almost zero supplies; last one remaining wins. Probably the single best reality TV show in existence.

Kevin Can F*** Himself S2 (AMC) - Half multi-camera sitcom, half single-camera drama. The ending was a bit rushed, but still a very fun and funny show that delivers on its premise.

Better Call Saul S6 (AMC) - I was kind of shocked to learn that this wasn't a top 10 for me! Obviously it's incredible television, but there were things about it that bothered me, and it didn't stick with me as much as the ones that made my Top 10.

TOP TEN

10. Um, Actually S6 & S7 (Dropout)
A game show in which three contestants, typically the likes of TV writers, critics, YouTube personalities, voice actors, podcasters, etc. listen to a factually incorrect statement about a TV show, movie, video game, or book (usually fantasy, sci-fi or something else nerdy/obscure) and chime in when they hear what’s wrong with it, starting their objection with the phrase “Um, Actually” (interrupting the host is encouraged) Maybe a bit of a contrarian pick, but I can’t deny how much joy this show brings me every other week. I believe most of the show’s seven seasons are on YouTube so there’s no excuse not to check out this hilarious game show.

9. Tokyo Vice (HBOMax)
This show just oozes style. If you’ve ever wondered what it was like to be in Tokyo in the 1990’s, this is the show for you (not that’d I’d know personally, but it sure feels right) I understand there was maybe some COVID fuckery that forced them to rush the ending a bit which was a shame, but I’m really looking forward to Season 2.

8. The Boys S3 (Amazon Prime Video)
Gross, funny, and cool in equal measures. I looked forward to every episode and was never disappointed.

7. Barry S3 (HBO)
Somehow manages to be laugh-out-loud funny while also making me feel tense, uneasy, even disturbed at times. You’re just waiting for it all to come crashing down…

6. Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal S2 (Cartoon Network / HBOMax)
A caveman and his T-rex buddy stomp around a prehistoric world, meeting (and sometimes eating) new people and tribes along the way, all animated in what could best be described as a cute and blocky “Sunday Morning Comic” art style, which is in stark contrast to the violence and mature themes presented. This show loving owns, man. I was hesitant as I made my way through the first season, nearly dismissing it as juvenile. But I stuck with it, and I’m so glad I did. The second season feels more sophisticated than the first, and although the end gave me some whiplash, the journey was incredible.

5. Stranger Things S4 (Netflix)
How is this show still so good?! I read a tweet that was something to the effect of “I keep coming back to this show each season expecting to suddenly start hating it, but by the end of the first episode I’m hooked every time”. Couldn’t agree more.

4. The Rehearsal (HBO)
I’ve just never seen any other show like this in my life, and that includes Nathan Fielder’s previous offerings. If I had any criticisms of The Rehearsal, it would just be that it was too short, and we’ll probably have to wait longer than I would like for S2. But trust that I’ll be there the night of the premiere when it comes back.

3. The White Lotus S2 (HBO)
A sad and sexy show. This is one of the most confident shows I’ve ever seen; it’s just so comfortable in its own skin. The locations are as gorgeous as the cast, and they’re written and acted in such a relatable way that you almost forget that nearly each and every one of them is playing variations on a rich snobby shithead. It’s sorta hard to convey what’s so great about this show, because everytime I try to summarize “what happens” to people, it always comes out like “rich people go on vacation”, which sounds like a terrible show. But Mike White has found a way to examine these people and their relationships in a way that’s both fascinating, relatable, and repulsive all at once. I also love the way Season 2 managed to be such a faithful continuation of S1 despite having an almost entirely new cast and a brand new location. It’s not the characters or plot that defines this show, but rather the feelings and themes that make it what it is.

2. House of the Dragon (HBO)
Game of Thrones is back, baby. It’s good again. AWOOO. Seriously though, I was so, SO relieved after watching the first episode to learn that HotD is much more akin to early GOT than late GOT. I’m a big fan of the Targaryan history laid out in some of George R.R. Martin’s ancillary history books and short stories, and I’d always contended that they’d make for some cool-rear end TV. A few of the scenes I’d read about in the histories played out just as epicly as I’d imagined when reading them, and in some cases, even cooler. There are definitely some unfortunate missteps in this show (a few of the scenes ARE, unfortunately, more like late GOT then early GOT) but overall I can’t deny how much I would look forward to 9:00 PM on Sunday when this show was airing. Can’t wait for more.

1. Severance (Apple TV+)
gently caress I did NOT see this show coming. The main reason I decided to check it out was because the initial bit of marketing material I saw about it reminded me of the 2019 game Control, which I definitely fell in love with after playing in 2021. While not exactly the same, a lot of the themes carry over: the existential dread of an office cubicle lit with fluorescent lighting, hallways that are more like mazes, the feeling that there’s WAY more going on than you could ever comprehend…it all clicked for me. And the story is extremely compelling, tight, funny, all those words you want to hear when describing plot. The characters are endearing and feel familiar. I’m supremely excited to continue this story.

My Full 2022 Viewing List
Alone S8 | The Amazing Race S33 | The Amazing Race S34 | Barry S3 | The Bear
Better Call Saul S5 | Blown Away S3 | The Boys S3 | Claim to Fame | The Circle S4
The Circle S5 (1st 4 eps. In 2022) | DAHMER | Euphoria S2 | The Expanse (last 2 eps. In 2022) | Floor is Lava S3
God’s Favorite Idiot | The Handmaid’s Tale S5 | Hell’s Kitchen S21 (1st 9 eps. in 2022) | House of the Dragon | Is It Cake?
Kevin Can F*** Himself S2 | Love is Blind: Japan | Our Flag Means Death | The Patient | Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal S2
The Rehearsal | Rick and Morty S6 | The Righteous Gemstones S2 | Severance | The Sex Lives of College Girls S2
Station Eleven (last 3 eps. in 2022) | Stranger Things S4 | Tokyo Vice | Um, Actually S6 | Um, Actually S7
The Vow S2 | Welcome to Wrexham | The White Lotus S2

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Khanstant posted:

i'll spare you my star wars rants except to say after rogue 1 I quit Star Warring with it and intend to never see a new one... but this write-up and a couple others really have me thinking maybe I could watch and enjoy this show without even touching my dumb star wars baggage. I love sci-fi and fantasy and space and revolution and incredible intricate person-level worldbuilding. I think I'll give this a shot

Let us know how it goes!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
As always I don't nearly watch that much TV so my list is a combination of pro wrestling, anime, youtube series, and shows that I may have followed mostly through TVIV threads or osmosis

10 Moon Knight (Disney+)
Spoiler for those who know me; all the MCU shows I watched this year will be in this list. Moon Knight was a fun romp since it tickles my love of Egyptian Mythology and a really good performance from Oscar Isaac. Even if it may not be the most sensitive portrayl of DID, I think Isaac treats it well and those really good mannerisms to differentiate the different aspects.

9 Prehistoric Planet (Apple)
This is now the gold standard of paleontology documentaries, treating dinosaurs like actual animals and giving into a little bit of speculation that isn't too far fetched (which is honestly needed since bones can only tell so much of a story); the CGI is really good, and David Attenborough is always a treat

8 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean (Netflix)
I'm a Jojo mark so had to put it here; really happy to see this finally complete even if Netflix killed all the interest in Jojo online by binge releasing the 1st batch and then waiting 9 months to release the rest. We were given a satisfying conclusion that feels like a nice tie to the bow of the anime series since we debuted Phantom Blood in 2012. Now give me Steel Ball Run before we all die from climate change!

7 Ms. Marvel (Disney+)
Will say, not the biggest fan of Kamala's power changes from the comics, but I get it. The actress who plays her is perfect as if she was ripped out of the comics to the real world. Feel the show did a good job with the depiction of Muslim American life and also always good to point out how evil the British Empire was.

6 AEW Dynamite (TBS)
There has been a lot of blood spilt both metaphorically about coverage of AEW from fans in PSP and literal in the amount of buckets Jon Moxley gave. I think people really over exaggerated the valleys in quality of AEW for 2022. Yes there were lulls, yes CM Punk acted like an rear end in a top hat (and hopefully he'll come back to the fold), yes Forbidden Door build was eh and killed a lot of momentum for AEW to build it's own shows. This is still the best wrestling show on the planet and nothing is going to change my mind.

5 Enjoy Wrestling (Youtube)
Full disclosure, over the year became friends with the owners and also use my podcast to sponsor their shows. Enjoy is a promotion in Pittsburgh that prides itself in introducing wrestling to everyone. Basically the owners and the talent wanted to make shows that would make their non-wrestling fan friends into wrestling fans. What Enjoy also does is provide an inclusive space and does stuff that should honestly be common place like having wrestlers/talent pronouns in the chyrons when they are introduced on screen. It also helps that every show has banger matches to boot!

4 Defunctland (youtube)
After the Disney Channel Theme episode I had to put this show on my list, it was probably already going up after the Garfield's Nightmare episode since that got a local pop from me since that is from my local amusement park on a ride that I actually rode. (No i didn't submit an email to Kevin). Kevin Perjurer has shown himself to be one of the best storytellers on youtube and honestly beyond that. I highly recommend checking his 2022 content, the guy puts a ton of work and it is reflected in the quality.

3 She-Hulk Attorney At Law (Disney+)
Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law is one of my favorite shows of all time, this scratches that itch and then some. Taking the MCU in a different direction and having a lot of fun with it while being really true to the She-Hulk comics. Also anything that pisses off incel nerds is good by my book.

2 The Sandman (Netflix
This show is a miracle, while I greatly prefer the audiobook series (which has a bonkers cast and released the Third Act in the Fall); to see something I have a particular reverence for get made in a TV show medium was gratifying after a lot of people showing skepticism after how American Gods went. Here's hoping now that they can film without the restrictions of COVID-19 lockdowns the show will be even better! And hopefully it doesn't fall from grace like American Gods did!

1 Better Call Saul (AMC)
What can be said? Crazy how this show has come from that first season thinking we were getting to the Saul fireworks factory in season 2; Bob Odenkirk deserves all the awards (guy nearly died on set!); Rhea Seehorn too!

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 8, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Nice seeing AEW on the list, RJ City is a national treasure.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Hidden Gems/Honorable Mentions:

Magpie Murders (PBS) Obviously there are a lot of British crime series. Like a lot. Magpie Murders is probably the most creative that I've seen in a while. The plot centers around parallel mysteries – the death of a crime writer and the draft of his final novel that is missing its final chapter. As the editor scrambles to recover the ending to the book, real and literary worlds bleed into each other.

Borgen: Power and Glory (Netflix) You'll need to watch the preceding series Borgen before watching this follow-up. In the original three seasons, the two main female characters (Birgitte Nyborg - Sidse Babett Knudsen and Katrine Fonsmark - Brigitte Hjort Sorensen) are mostly very sympathetic characters navigating the political and journalistic landscape of Denmark. Those seasons ended in the early/mid 2010s, and we jump almost a decade to find these characters still in the game but with their heroic luster dimmed in the ever more complex world of the 2020s. The 2010's

Chelsea Detective (AcornTV) A comfortable if unambitious police procedural set in current-day London. Just well done with a likeable lead detective and colleagues, not too dark.

Slow Horses (AppleTV+) Unfortunately I cancelled AppleTV before the second season came out, but I already know it will be one of my first watches when I renew. Humorous combo of spycraft plus underdogs vs. the cocky folks in power. At least for S1 the short 6-episode season works to its advantage.

Outer Range (Amazon Prime). Dramatic, pretty, and weird. Kind of an X-files meets Twin Peaks meets Longmire. I don't know that it nailed the finale but I liked it.

Stranger Things (Netflix). The gangs back together, and the show remembered to have some fun and pick up the pace. Can't wait 'til season 5. This season took a stab at some origin stories and I thought they did a pretty good job. I also like how they played with the length/format of the season rollout.

Resident Alien (Syfy). Funny and dumb. Alan Tudyk is a committed as Harry Vanderspiegel, an alien trying to pass as human in the body of small town doctor. This act would have worn pretty thin if it weren't for the supporting female cast and their interactions.

Half Bad: Bastard son & the Devil Himself (Netflix) There are a lot of supernatural teen shows this year, and I thought this was the best of the ones I'd seen. So many of them are just dumb high school rivalry and/or over-the-top opulence. There's a bit of that here, although the show moves away from school days and becomes a quest. The magical world (which takes place in modern day Europe) feels fresh and most of the main trio are reasonably likeable as people.

A League of Their Own (Amazon Prime) I have a soft spot for remakes or adaptations that keep the good stuff while adding something of value to the telling. The story of the WW2 era women's professional baseball becomes an unambigously queer series. It also confronts the racism of the era by adding a mostly separate african american story line. If you base your expectations on the 1990's comedy this will feel especially tacked on, but if you view the show as about womens' stories it becomes a step towards completion.

best show we watched not from 2022, or at least the parts we watched...

Ghosts (BBC) I guess technically S4 aired in 2022 but until it hits HBOMax we won't be able to see it. As good as the American version is, and I think it's gotten pretty good for a CBS sitcom, the original BBC show is absolute magic. Do yourself a favor and watch it.

And now the Top 10!

10) Prehistoric Planet (AppleTV+) To be clear, very little in Prehistoric Planet likely happened the exactly the way it was depicted. I typically have a strong aversion to speculative science shows because the dramatization usually detracts from whatever science the show is based on. Yet here the way dinosaur life and behavior was updated based on our understanding of contemporary animals was pretty outstanding. And the show was beautiful. It felt like a really good nature doc instead of the majority of dino shows I've seen which focus on the paleontologists digging up the bones or computer modeling how fat they were or whatever.

9) What We Do In The Shadows (Fx) This show is crass and crazy, and after 4 seasons of vampire flatmate hijinks you'd think it would start to wear thin. This isn't the best season of the run but the showrunners demonstrate the ability to fully go for a gag. Scattered episodes like the Night Market and the Home Renovation plot are good enough by themselves to keep this show in my Top 10 another year.

8) The Bear (Hulu) I'll be honest that this aired early enough in 2022 that I've now forgotten a lot about this show besides that it snuck up on me and really made me love it. For the most part its wasn't build-ups to scenes or season-long plot that made the show for me, or necessarily the characters either. This show had an almost magical quality to make the bustle and day-to-day drama of this small hole-in-the-wall restaurant really fun to watch.

7) The Dropout (Hulu) I can see how this dramatization of the Theranos case might not be everyone's cup of tea. Tech companies fail all the time, and white-collar crime doesn't typically make for a gripping story. I knew the basics but hadn't read much about it or heard the podcast, and I don't have any particular insights on accuracy. The show's narrative worked for me, showing the mania and self-delusion of Elizabeth Holmes, the insane secrecy and corporate culture at Theranos suppressing reality, the heroic measures that finally daylit the problems. I was impressed with the Amanda Seyfried's portrayal.

6) Only murders in the building (Hulu). Against all odds, this show with its actors I don't adore, hit a home run in its first season and somehow followed up with another great release. Martin Short is still a bit over the top but an understated Steve Martin and deadpan-almost-comatose Selena Gomez have great chemistry. An absurdist mystery show with a lot of twists and turns that just nails it most of the time.

5) The White Lotus (HBOmax) Lifestyles of the Rich and Clueless, and those caught up in their orbit. This season shifts from Hawaii to Sicily and ups the opulence. Its plot arcs build up the tension as the season goes and clearly given the amount of digital ink spilled in TVIV a lot of people were invested in figuring out what was going to happen week after week. That said, I dropped the show a few spots from last year because the buildups didn't feel nearly as organic as last time. Rather than escalations over a room assignment or whatever, these involved more obvious scheming and subterfuge, plus I kind of wanted the volcano to just obliterate the whole resort. These are quibbles and it's still a stand out for me this year.

4) Mystery Road: Origin (AcornTV) This is probably the least watched show of my top 10. Mystery Road is an Australian franchise following Detective Jay Swan, a cop of indigenous background who is an outsider both to the first peoples community and the white settler townfolk. It's a dark and dreamy show that might give you the feels of first season True Detective, and nobody does sad and dusty town like the Outback. Mystery Road: Origin is a prequel with a much younger actor who is no Aaron Pederson but he does a credible job. You don't need to have seen the original movies or seasons to enjoy this (but you should).

3) Severance (AppleTV+) Holy crap what a ride. This show starts like a good Black Mirror episode and just keeps getting insanely better. Is it a show about grief and memory? The emptiness of modern life? Perils of tech? A love story? A sci-fi adventure? All of the above, all at once. The future/retro aesthetics are great and call back to MANIAC or something similar.

2) Bad Sisters (AppleTV+) If you want a dark comedy that nails the dark and the comedy, here you go. The show opens on the funeral of the husband of one of a tight-knit quintet of sisters. The season unwinds with three threads, flashbacks to what a loving terrible and pathetic human stain of a person the husband was, the other sisters' various plots to take him out, and the often inept attempts for a pair of hard-luck insurance investigators trying to prove the death was murder. Claes Bang does such an amazing job playing the husband, and the fact we know he got what was coming to him (however it happened) defangs him enough the audience can fully revel in hating him.

1) Reservation Dogs (Hulu) #1 on my list for the second year in a row. I love everything about this show. The central characters, the four friends, are all extremely sympathetic characters even if they aren't all sunshine and roses. Their relationships with elders as they explore adulthood is often funny and poignant. The spirit guides are hilarious. The show perfectly walks the fine line of showing the sometimes crushing reality of first peoples while at the same time expressing the full optimism and pride the community provides. This may be a "representation" show, and it is the best kind, a unique and wonderful story that could not be told by any other voices.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

1) Reservation Dogs (Hulu) #1 on my list for the second year in a row. I love everything about this show. The central characters, the four friends, are all extremely sympathetic characters even if they aren't all sunshine and roses. Their relationships with elders as they explore adulthood is often funny and poignant. The spirit guides are hilarious. The show perfectly walks the fine line of showing the sometimes crushing reality of first peoples while at the same time expressing the full optimism and pride the community provides. This may be a "representation" show, and it is the best kind, a unique and wonderful story that could not be told by any other voices.

Great list! And I agree, this show is amazing. I love the specificity of it, how it is so cemented in its place and with its people. Even in a show with talking spirits and crazy dream sequences, it makes everything feel grounded and real.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They finally added Rez Dogs s2 to Disney+ over here so I think it’s time for a rewatch

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

As my time balance shifted heavily toward gaming instead of watching TV this year, for a while I was thinking that I wouldn't have enough shows that I cared about to submit a list. But sure enough, as I started thinking back I found myself in the familiar position of "too many shows, not enough spots."

So first, the honorable mentions:

What We Do in the Shadows
Slow Horses
Ms Marvel
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law
Reservation Dogs

All fine shows that at one point or another had found a place on my list, but ultimately just barely missed the cut.

10. Undone – I really loved the first season of Undone when it first aired, but it was such an under-the-radar show and so much time passed between the two seasons that I really only stumbled upon the second season by accident. I'm glad I did though, because the new season built beautifully on the first and managed to complete the story in a very satisfying way.

9. Los Espookys – Another show with a sublime first season that was followed by a very long hiatus. This show is ridiculous and I loved every second of it.

8. Only Murders in the Building – The show hit a bit of a sophomore slump, but ultimately still managed to play to the strength of its cast and crafted a compelling mystery.

7. Andor – Probably one of the biggest surprises of the year for me. As much as I love The Mandalorian, a couple of duds had made me wary of another new Star Wars show, especially one based around a character I barely remembered from my lone viewing of Rogue One years ago. But the word of mouth was positive, and I figured it was worth giving a shot. So I did, and I was rewarded with one of the best additions to the canon in quite some time.

6. Severance – If Andor was a surprise for me, Severance was set up from the start to be one of my favorites. An incredible cast, a unique aesthetic, and a brilliant premise all combined to make me very hyped for this show's debut. With expectations that high it was primed for disappointment, but Severance was simply perfect in its execution.

5. Stranger Things – All the talk leading up to the premiere of this season was based around the episode lengths, and “bloat” was a widespread criticism of the season. For my part, though, I thought this installment was fantastic. My only quibble is that it really felt like this should have been the end, to the point where I'm not really sure what comes next, but taken on its own this was a great season of television.

4. Mythic Quest – This was the show I was waiting to finish before making my list. Mythic Quest took my top spot last year, and while I think there was a slight drop-off this season its fall in my rankings was almost entirely due to strong competition rather than an indicator of a decline in quality. Still hilarious, with moments of genuine emotional poignancy.

3. Peacemaker– Coming into Peacemaker I was already a fan of James Gunn and of John Cena. Even so, I never would have guessed that they would be able to put together such an incredible show. Great action, strong emotional beats, and some genuinely heartwarming character development of what could have easily been a one-note protagonist. Also, I've watched the opening credits about a thousand times since the season ended, they're perfect.

2. Station Eleven – I started watching this in 2021, but finished it in 2022 and knew immediately that this was the year I would list it. For one, it took a few episodes to really hook me, while the back half of the season was some of the most beautiful television I've ever seen. By the end I knew it would take the top spot on my list, unless something truly special came along to unseat it.

1. Better Call Saul – And then, of course, came the final season of Better Call Saul. For a few years now I've espoused the controversial opinion that BCS has surpassed its parent show Breaking Bad in overall quality, and this final season only made me more confident in that assessment. Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn put on a masterclass of acting this year, and the show deftly handled the very difficult task of bringing this story to a close in a way that fits with the overall narrative of the previous show. Quite simply, it was a perfect ending.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So I've done these lists a LOT of years and crammed a ton of seasons of tv this December on my break to "catch up" with some of the good poo poo y'all were recommending since I missed it in my Disney Marvel Universe/Drag Race-haze. I think my list has solid recs and they suit my taste perfectly. Here goes:

10. A League of Their Own
Really good historic representation of minority groups in sports? Say it isn't so! PoC/LGBT women in baseball, will wonders never cease. It was heartfelt at times, then others it was just brutal with how much they could hurt our characters in situations that probably happened commonly to these groups in the past. The ending, while bittersweet, suits every character well and by God, D'Arcy Carden has taken over from Peggy Carter as the woman in red (lipstick).

9. Interview with a Vampire
Okay, I know, ANOTHER vampire show? Based on something with an already killer movie adaptation? The cards were stacked against this tv show, but it proves that even if you switch the era, age, sexuality, and color of the characters, you can still reach into the heart of what was truly innovative and important in the novel and bring something fresh to the table. Start for Lestat, stay for Claudia.

8. House of the Dragon
Tell me where on the doll's heart D&D hurt you? Then watch this show and have it healed! They took scant little chapters in G.R.R.M's newest novel and somehow managed to turn around an abysmal Game of Thrones reputation. And that's considering they had to switch actresses for the main roles mid-way! The scenery is lush, the writing up-to-snuff, and the acting.... Paddy's last episode was so heartbreaking and tipped the scales into chaos. However, as we all know, chaos is a ladder. Looking forward to season 2.

7. This Is Going to Hurt
My goodness. I was in the medical field, once upon a time, so I take issue with lovely "case of the week" embellished, fake medical drama bullshit, but this, this isn't it. The situations are stressful, sometimes unfair, and heartbreaking, but funny and healing sometimes too. The acting is VERY good and, if I may say, the medical bits are tastefully shot so they are gritty and realistic, but not gore or too horrifying for the layman. Watch for the penultimate episode at least. Subtle spoiler: get ready to weep.

6. Peacemaker
This would have landed in the top ten for the music and the opening, but hell if the episodes themselves aren't solid gold. Cena reminds me of Bautista in that wrestlers GET that sometimes acting is all in the subtleties, and sometimes acting is a big, bold show. We start with thinking Peacemaker is a funny tool, an idiot with nothing much but interesting quips, you know, for a loser, but you grow to love the little dirtbag.

5. Sandman
If I could call anything transportive magic, this is it. The craftsmanship put into everything, from casting and costuming to CGI is perfection. Morpheus manages to make monotone layered, with little tics and microexpressions showing he's changing and evolving as episodes pass. Death's episode is beautiful and I hold fondness in my heart for the Muse's episode, given as a little treat to viewers after the show's season concluded.

4. Abbott Elementary
The thing bandied about this show is how REAL it is, how it shows the humor and the horror that is teaching children. These characters are doing grueling work, but somehow, even if nothing gets solved the way you think, the teachers manage to do the most for their kids. You can't manage to pick one episode or one character as the best; the ensemble works well together and the writing is solid.

3. Severance
At first, I was interested, if confused by the premise and lured in by Adam Scott's presence, but then I saw episode one and was hooked! It's so trippy, but new and human in its portrayal of gentle sci-fi/thriller drama themes. Every time I thought the writers would zig, they zagged and surprised the poo poo outta me. Those last two episodes had me on tenterhooks and left me dashing to go to the thread and ask, "Please sir, may I have some more?"

2. The Bear
Oh my God, these episodes had me anxious, stressed, and hungry as hell. Normally, an episode inciting such negative emotions would vex me, but this was gritty and real. It managed to make me think, "People in the restaurant industry are heroes," but not in the corny Hallmark way, in the, "That life fucks you up and you STILL serve people?" It's a perfect encapsulation of that world, from line chef, to manager, to dishwasher, to cashier. Even if it hadn't gotten renewed, that season was fully-told, so to speak, with enough wiggle room to think, "I'd like to know what happens next."

1. Yellowjackets
OH MY GOD. The music, the acting, the premise! Superb! Magnifico! I haven't been disillusioned to work like this since I didn't watch Lost, but I pity that this show's on Showtime; more people need to know about this and watch/discuss by the watercooler. Again, another show that could've possibly been hindered by a split cast, since they portray the same characters in two different eras of their lives and one era is them as teens (and you know how lovely teen actors can be sometimes), but wasn't! The theme song is stuck in my head and its been weeks.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Ishamael posted:

Great list! And I agree, this show is amazing. I love the specificity of it, how it is so cemented in its place and with its people. Even in a show with talking spirits and crazy dream sequences, it makes everything feel grounded and real.

I like shows like Alaska Daily or Three Pines but it make it glaringly obvious when there's a show that's (probably written by white folks) for white folks to educate or advocate for some certain issue vs. something like Rez Dogs. I think there's a place for the former but you see what's missing if you don't have the latter.

Pan Dulce posted:

1. Yellowjackets
OH MY GOD. The music, the acting, the premise! Superb! Magnifico! I haven't been disillusioned to work like this since I didn't watch Lost, but I pity that this show's on Showtime; more people need to know about this and watch/discuss by the watercooler. Again, another show that could've possibly been hindered by a split cast, since they portray the same characters in two different eras of their lives and one era is them as teens (and you know how lovely teen actors can be sometimes), but wasn't! The theme song is stuck in my head and its been weeks.

I'm working through this show now. I more or less cut off my watching window at the beginning of the year or it would probably be on my list too. IMDB says 2021 but it looks like it straddled 2021/2022.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Updated my list as I got around to finishing The Bear, we'll see if I can get to Reservation Dogs as well.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Changed my number 9 to Prehistoric Planet since some goons reminded me that came out in 2022; also getting a kick of people putting in League of their Own since when I've gone through my old hometown to see the fam or do errands I noticed that the community college baseball field got turned into the baseball field from the movie only to find out that was where they filmed the show lol

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
This year I watched a lot more TV than usual. I stopped at the end of the year and focused more on reading, but was still able to get a lot of good shows watched.

First, off, honorable mentions.

Station Eleven
This was an absolutely fantastic show, but I put it at the top of my list last year. Being so long ago, I feel that it belongs more on my list from last year, in order to leave space for other great shows from this year.
We Own This City
Great show. Not as addictive as some other shows out there, and not as amazing as The Wire, but still great.
House of the Dragon
It wasn’t as good as the first season of Game of Thrones, obviously, but a lot of that magic was there. It was by no means amazing, but still fun.

Now for my official top ten.

10. Our Flag Means Death
A slow start, but this show ended up with a lot of love. If Taika Waititi touches something it just turns out good.

9. Abbot Elementary
There’s not one thing in particular that makes me love this show, but all the pieces come together to make something wholesome.

8. Atlanta
I haven’t finished season 4 yet, but from what I’ve seen so far Atlanta is as witty as ever.

7. The Bear
Short and quick, but a hell of a show. Who knew so much anxiety could be packed into 30 minutes. A great ending as well. We will see if they capture the same magic in season 2.

6. Andor
Star Wars that didn’t suck. After Kenobi and The Book of Boba Fett, I wasn’t sure I would even give this a try, but I’m glad I did. Very depressing at times, but uplifting as well.

5. From
The parallels to Lost are real. I even shouted “No Michael!” a few times. The mysteries are wonky and fun as hell. If they don’t get answered I won’t be too upset. The ride itself is fun enough.

4. The Rehearsal
I’m not sure if Nathan Fielder is a genius, deeply disturbed, or both. I can’t even describe this show to people when they ask what it is about. All I know is that it’s golden.

3. Better Call Saul
A fitting ending to the saga. I am not sure if I liked the present-day Saul bits as much as others, but it was still a fantastic show.

2. Reservation Dogs
Season 2 had just as much heart as season 1. There were some down episodes, but getting a more personal look at some of the lesser characters was also fun. If you haven’t watched this show yet, do it now.

1. Severance
What a surprise. Wow. I usually don’t watch shows as they come out, but Severance had to be watched the moment it dropped. I haven’t been this invested in a show in years. There were so many little parts that just stuck with me as I watched, and every episode revealed more of the cracks in the system. Amazing.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 26, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Did Mustache Ride change their username in the thread or did they only fill out the survey and not post in the thread?

You also didn't include any commentary

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 12, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

You've got 11 shows here. Am I just cutting off Cabinet of Curiosities?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Pillowpants posted:

10. A million Little Things: I love James Roday – he can make me angry, laugh, cry etc better than anyone else.
9. The MCU TV Shows; Between the Two TV special presentations, Ms. Marvel, and She Hulk – the TV shows were better than the movies this year, but I have to give it to Ms. Marvel for bringing my X-Men MCU introduction that much closer.

Please fix this or A Million Little Things gets the axe and She Hulk gets 10th cause you mentioned it last.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wrt the last one it reads like they want to give it to Ms. Marvel

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Fair point. I'll make it that unless it's clarified

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

Fair point. I'll make it that unless it's clarified

Million Little things and Ms Marvel, sorry

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cryptoclastic posted:

How to With John Wilson
Another show that I feel belongs more to 2021 than 2022. Can’t wait for season 3 this year.

How to with John Wilson aired entirely in 2021, with the finale on December 31. I think it aired 11:00-11:30 PM EST, so just under the line, even!

Had a lot of good memories for our New Year's Eve with friends, and coming home late and topping it all off with watching the How To finale as our welcoming in 2022.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Chairman Capone posted:

How to with John Wilson aired entirely in 2021, with the finale on December 31. I think it aired 11:00-11:30 PM EST, so just under the line, even!

Had a lot of good memories for our New Year's Eve with friends, and coming home late and topping it all off with watching the How To finale as our welcoming in 2022.

January first my time then so I guess that was why I was confused. Good to know.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's list has been captured in my spreadsheet up to this point. If anyone makes any further changes, please let me know.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I forgot about the google sheet thing, sorry

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

You've got 11 shows here. Am I just cutting off Cabinet of Curiosities?

Sure.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

There is a ton of probably very good stuff out there that I just haven't gotten to yet so it won't make my list. Sorry Atlanta!

Honorable Mentions that didn't quite make the cut:

From
Only Murders In The Building
The Bear
The Resort
Moon Knight
Three Pines
Ms Marvel
For All Mankind
Station Eleven

10) SpyXFamily -- I would recommend this to anyone, whether they typically like anime or not. This was such a breath of fresh air. Very feel good/heartwarming. The basic concept is a spy on a mission has to get married and adopt a child as part of his cover, but each individual in the family has their own secrets. It's on Hulu. Try it!

9) Reservation Dogs -- Extremely well done. Don't wait for my description, you should be watching this shitass.

8) The Afterparty -- Rashomon style Murder mystery comedy with genre switches for the stories. What is not to love.

7) The Peripheral -- I haven't read what this is based on, but it was a very cool sci-fi concept and I hope we get to see more of this. It also had some fantastic characters that were very fun to watch. I would watch a mystery spin-off with Inspector Ainsley Lowbeer.

6) Pantheon -- Very high concept sci fi animated show. It will be a travesty if the planned second season doesn't happen because of all of the cancellation shenanigans.

5) She-Hulk -- Exactly what I wanted from this show and more. Marvel Legal Comedy with fourth wall breaking and social commentary.

4) Star Trek: Strange New Worlds -- The best Star Trek since DS9. If for some reason you've put off watching this because of some of the other newer Trek disappointed you, you should definitely rethink that.

3) Severance -- Great from the start it just keeps building and you always want to know what is going to happen next.

2) Andor -- This is technically a Star Wars show, but you could easily recommend this to anyone, it is a triumph.

1) The Sandman -- As someone who finds the beginning of this series in comic form to be fairly dry and hard to really get into, I was shocked at how despite being a very faithful adaptation, I was completely sucked in. I hope this runs a long time and I get to see what the stuff I really enjoyed on the page becomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

6) Pantheon -- Very high concept sci fi animated show. It will be a travesty if the planned second season doesn't happen because of all of the cancellation shenanigans.

It got the ax a week or two ago :(