Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

King Burgundy posted:

10) SpyXFamily -- I would recommend this to anyone, whether they typically like anime or not. This was such a breath of fresh air. Very feel good/heartwarming. The basic concept is a spy on a mission has to get married and adopt a child as part of his cover, but each individual in the family has their own secrets. It's on Hulu. Try it!

I recently started watching this and it's absolutely delightful :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
It's always a bit of a realisation that I watch way too much TV when I make these lists.

The good and the bad, alphabetically

Avenue 5 Ok. More of the same.
Beavis and Butthead An excellent revival. Great to see old friends again.
Cobra Kai Barely worth watching any more. Has fallen from great heights to a bit of a slog.
For All Mankind Big fan of this show, this series had more filler, I felt, but still pretty decent.
Hacks Not very funny for a show about a comedian and a comedy writer. Not too terrible, either.
Irma Vep A swing and a miss. The female lead lacks the charisma to pull off her role. Would have preferred a documentary on the source material.
Kimetsu no Yaiba An anime show that actually has characters who have to take time to train, rest and recover from battles. Pretty cool.
Made For Love Full disclosure, I love Cristin Milioti. I'll watch anything with her in it, and this show really fit her. Pretty sad it got cancelled.
Ms Marvel Not for me. Some Marvel shows are clearly just setups to get the overarching narrative from point A to B, and this show struggles to be more than that.
Never Have I Ever Bit of a gimmick show, but I like it, even though there is some teenage drama crap to struggle through.
Obi-Wan One of the worst things to air. Somehow watched the whole pilot and dropped it from there.
Only Murders in the Building Charming and entertaining, which is a relief because with that cast and setup it might just as well be insufferable.
Under the Banner of Heaven Dark and heavy, well written and acted. Very good.
Reboot Saw it said somewhere else that every aspect of this show has been done better by other shows, and that's right. Not a lot to offer, but doesn't overstay its welcome, either.
Resident Alien Basically a live action invader Zim but too cringy for me.
Rick and Morty This show disappeared up its own rear end a while back.
Russian Doll Completely superfluous follow-up to a barely worthwhile first series
Severance Fairly run-off-the-mill speculative fiction, mildly entertaining and interesting. Shout out to some incredible acting by Walken and Torturro.
She-Hulk Went in with some expectations, didn't expect to be so baffled by its inability to even tell a story, let alone convey some authenticity. The bad CGI was honestly the least of its problems.
Stargirl This show is getting a bit better with every series, which is great for a superhero show, and a DC show at that.
Station 11 Not so much Hamlet as Much Ado About Nothing. Boring to mildly interesting.
Strange New Worlds More NuTrek crap. Slightly less crap than the other recent live action shows.
Stranger Things Well this show went to poo poo. Breaking up the story and cast was a really bad idea.
The Afterparty Gimmick show. Turns out ok, though it's all matter and little content.
The Book of Bobba Fett After the Mandalorian, another very enjoyable Star Wars series proving that you can actually make something in this setting that isn't absolute crap
The Boys A more stagnant series than before, feels like the focus is more on quantity then quality of episodes.
The Flight Attendant A sad attempt to make something more of a mediocre first series.
The Resort More Cristin Milioti stuck in strange versions of reality. Entertaining watch, but nothing that'll stick.
This is going to hurt Couldn't get through the first episode. Too cringy.
Undone Second series didn't really seem necessary to me.
Warrior Nun First series was barely a guilty pleasure, this is just bad and boring.
Wednesday Fine. Didn't feel like an Addams Family show, more like some fanfic someone dressed up in Addams Family IP.
What We Do in the Shadows Still runs great on its gags and characters, but found the narrative for this series flawed, backwards.
White Lotus Slightly disappointed in the final two episodes, but still managed to be an entertaining watch.
Yellowjackets Couldn't finish it, felt it was trying to be too visceral and edgy and not trying to tell a good story.

The best, ranked

20 Upload Enjoyable sci-fi murder mystery show
19 Letterkenny Series 11, still going strong
18 Moon Knight Pretty enjoyable MCU show.
17 Solar Opposites The more enjoyable Justin Roiland show. Has a great subplot, The Wall.
16 Cabinet of Curiosities Pretty good, well told and shot, made me miss Lovecraft Country.
15 The Marvelous Ms Maisel This show still has a lot going for it, even if it doesn't always find its footing anymore
14 Willow Pretty great, pleasantly surprised by this.
13 Snowpiercer Still love this show, fascinating setting and entertaining characters.
12 Wellington Paranormal Great NZ comedy. Unabashedly silly.
11 The Outlaws Very enjoyable Brit comedy with and by Stephen Merchant. Christopher Walken steals the show, however.
10 Shoresy A great spin-off to Letterkenny with Jared Keeso digging into the thing he actually loves, ice hockey
9 Inside no 9 Every series of this show is absolutely brilliant. Don't know where these guys keep getting their stuff from.
8 Slow Horses Very enjoyable Brit detective show
7 Peacemaker Did not see this coming, great and entertaining show.
6 Barry Still an incredible show, don't know how Hader keeps pulling this off.
5 Andor I enjoyed Andor a lot, mainly because it allowed me to breathe in its reality, to lose myself in its story and world building. Very relaxing, very enjoyable.
4 P-Valley Great show with great characters, and the first show to air a series which actually adresses the pandemic, and does so really well.
3 Our Flag Means Death Beautiful and brilliant, loved every minute of it.
2 The Bear Gripping and intense, one of the few shows I actually rewatched after finishing it.
1 Atlanta This is not a show. This is a work of art.

I know the comments don't amount to much but I'm very tired and very ill so yeah

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Dishonorable mentions which were worse than just average:
Better call Saul: It just went way to far towards the crime drama which I never cared about and neglected the legal drama, which I loved. It also made me feel like Breaking Bad (which I did not like) became mandatory to enjoy the show.
The Peripheral: It felt just so incredibly slow and the main character is pretty much just an observer without a lot of agenda.

Honorable mentions:

20) Evil
This show is just insane in an entertaining way. None of the characters act rational and everything is incredibly stupid.

19) The Orville
Despite the valid criticism, I did enjoy this season. The cast is still great and they really went all out on the SFX budget.

18) Mythic Quest
This show is just really incredibly uneven. I love the team of comedic powerhouse actors. But some episodes are completely forgettable while others are incredibly good. If they were able to keep this standard, it might be my 1.

17) White Lotus
Overall, no a lot happened this season. But the opening theme was just such an incredible banger that I kept hearing that on Youtube on repeat.

16) Extraordinary Atorney Woo
It's very Korean, which in turn is a country of late stage capitalism you usually only see in cyberpunk. The main casts happens to be some of the very few attorneys who care about the little people and the cases are usually silly. I'm still not sure if the way they present autism is offensive or not.

15) Severance
It was okay. But I just didn't feel the hype.

14) Undone
A nice conclusion to the first part and Rosa Salazar is great. But I hardly remember this show.

13 Reacher
The charm of the main actor absolutely carried this otherwise stupid show.

12 Ms Marvel
It was a fun romp through the marvel world and the main actress is such an adorable dork, but the main villains just kind of sucked.

11 Primal
(Baring one special episode) Probably the best show which has no dialogue. Some great fight scenes.

Now for the actual list:

10 Our Flag Means Death
I watched the first episode on a whim and only after a while I remembered that this guy was in Assassins Creed black flag and was actually based on a real person. It's a cute show about breaking your boundaries and having massive midlife crises.

9 Reboot
The cast is great and there were some genuinely funny moments in there. But it mostly felt quite heartfelt.

8 Reservation Dogs
I watched through that series when I was on pain medication and could barely do anything else, so I might judge it higher than it deserves, but it gave me a nice feeling that the future might look better after some struggle.

7 The Afterparty
I loved how they played around with all of those genres.

6 The Bear
The start was a bit boring and the finale was a weird surprise which honestly doesn't make a lot of sense. But the episode before that was absolutely incredibly and cemented my opinion that I would never want to work in a kitchen.

5 Peacemaker
John Cena can provoke some real emotions. That guy is great. The rest of the casts were cool too. Especially the cop lady.

4 Welcome to Wrexham
It's a glorious documentary, not about the owners or the sport or so much the club itself, but about the people and their personal relationship with sport. I am not even a football fan, but that documentary is highly recommended.

3 She-Hulk
This show just really gets marvel comics. It's pretty much what I imagined a She-Hulk TV series would be like when it was announced a few years back. Jen Walters is a near perfect adaption.

2 Search Party
In it's final season this show does what it always did and pulls the rug away from under you. I assumed that would happen, but I was genuinely surprised and amazed where it went. If you told me the end of season 5 even after I watched the ridiculousness of season 4 I don't think I would have believed you.

1 Barry
The creators of this show have an incredible understanding for well-shot action scenes and comedic timing. The only way to improve it would be to set it in a New York bakery.

Some shows I watched and found okay in no particular order other than the one I just remembered them by after writing the rest of this, but some people may like them, so I at least list them to demonstrate that I consider them worse than the rest:

The Resort, Atlanta, For All Mankind, Only Murders in the Building, Rick and Morty, Stranger Things, Harley Quinn, Yellowjackets, Slow Horses, Upload, Stargirl, Resident Alien, The Boys, Kevin can gently caress Himself, The Flight Attendant, The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window, The Rehearsal, Fleishman Is In Trouble, Murderville, Killing it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i barely watch any TV because of my lack of a life being filled primarily with videogame playing (and also I prefer to watch movies these days)

n/a) The Cuphead Show - It's honestly not for me. The animation is really nice but this is definitely for a younger crowd and has more predictable setups and punchlines.

n/a) Aggretsuko s4 - I guess it aired in December of 2021 so it's not eligible. This season was a major rebound from the really strange third season and got back to what the show does best, unflinchingly skewer workplace politics. That said, the karaoke aspect has fallen way off-- maybe they recognize that the novelty of the gimmick has faded. It does serve an important purpose at one point in the season but otherwise I wonder if it will even play a role at all in the final season next month.

n/a) Baywatch Nights - not released this year or any recent year, but it should be seen by anyone who has a group of friends that likes to watch trash. there are some episodes that are so odd they defy description, like the 'season finale' where Ryan gets trapped in a painting world (presumably because the actress had already started to move on to Law & Order so her involvement was limited maybe?) so you just get Mitch and others kind of wandering around shouting and talking to a voice in the walls a lot. There's also the episode where they go through a portal to some future world? But they didn't have the budget to show the future so it's all shadows and darkness, except for one shot where there's some sort of giant dinosaur egg??? they clearly wanted to do X-Files but seemed determined not to actually watch or research X-Files to know what it was about.

n/a) Sakura Quest - heartwarming adult slice of life show about 4 women who come together in a tourist trap town on the verge of dying out, and have a year to turn things around and save it. aired a few years ago

4) Forged in Fire - continues to be the most wholesome competition show on TV. the new host is a little awkward but at least they're not anti-vax. all of the dads that make knives on this show are easy to root for because they support each other, they hold their head high when they lose, there's no forced anger or animosity, just dads in cowboy hats and ill-fitting shirts that love to make swords.

3) Ascendance of a Bookworm s3 - I would joke about how the show seemed to handwave away conflicts with remarkable efficiency but the second half of the season actually escalated the stakes pretty significantly and led to some major changes. I can't tell if there's going to be more of the anime based on how the last episode in particular was directed as if it was a sort of sendoff. They do say the story will continue but anime has done that sort of "the story will continue.. in the manga!" ending before and I haven't heard of a s4 pickup yet. If that's it for the show, it was a very interesting isekai show managing to thread the needle between power fantasy and misery showcase. I will not be subjecting myself to a thousand other isekai shows to find similar promise.

2) Murderville - What a stupid, funny and stupid show. I vibed particularly with the episodes where the guests were very into the premise, like Marshawn Lynch's episode, or worked very well with Arnett, like Conan's. If more gets made, I hope that they trim some of the scripted skits because the scripted comedy just doesn't land like the improvised comedy does.

1) The Owl House s2 - Despite having to be rushed to completion due to executive fuckery, TOH continues to be a worthy action-comedy followup to Gravity Falls. It's a teeeeensy bit cloying with Luz and Amity's relationship, but it's also important representation in a kid's cartoon so I can't really criticize that aspect that much.

there's honestly a lot of TV i could've/should've watched but I have a brain problem where I can't get super into binging. shows I would've liked to have seen: Russian Doll s2, Andor, Severance, The Afterparty, Only Murders in the Building, and The Rehearsal. What's most likely going to happen is I continue to watch movies instead

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 16, 2023

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I rarely watch TV the same year that it aired, so my list skews heavily toward reality/game show programs -shows where I might be spoiled on the winner if I wait too long.

10. Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities
Had a couple of dreadful installments, but squeaks in on the strength of its stand-outs, which in my opinion are the episodes from David Prior, Panos Cosmatos, and Jennifer Kent; three excellent contributions from directors who don't make enough movies. The less impressive episodes range from merely good to downright embarrassing, but as a horror fan you learn to wade through a lot of garbage and treasure the gems.

9. Murderville
The best use of Will Arnett since Arrested Development, and a curiously efficient format that manages to flesh out the Terry character surprisingly well within the strictures of a half-hour party-game.

8. The Traitors (Australia and UK)
Speaking of party games - it's televised mafia! Rather than devote two slots to the same format, I'm lumping the aussie and british versions together, although I'd give the slight edge to Australia for having a more astute, competent cast. The real interest with the British version lies in how quickly the game becomes personal for the majority of players; I'm not sure I've ever seen this MANY different people reduced to tears on a single season of television. Because the money tasks are so inconsequential to the greater game, there's a fair amount of filler in this format that you start to feel as the cast dwindles, but both series end with a real barn-burner, and Australia has one of the grimmest, most brutal endings I've ever seen.

7. The Mole (technically Season 6)
The resurrection of an excellent format that was too quickly ruined by becoming a celebrity game, this returns to the solid foundation and doesn't overly burden it with twists. A nice mix of rootable and hateable cast, and an early episode (Joi spends almost the entire pot) that made my entire body clench in disbelief. Netflix is never predictable, but I'd hope to see at least a couple more seasons of this get produced.

6. Players
The team behind American Vandal once again works their peculiar brand of mockumentary magic to make me care deeply about something I normally wouldn't - in this case a fictional e-sports team. As with American Vandal, the key to their success is having an eye for grounded, flawed characters who read as real instead of dramatis personae, and replicating internet culture to a T. Every episode lasts about five minutes longer than its runtime, because a lot of the fun is pausing and reading the painstakingly crafted tweets and comments flying across the screen.

5. The Rehearsal
Not much to say that hasn't been said already: a psychodrama wrapped in a Brechtian nightmare. Fascinating poo poo.

4. Survivor Season 42
Yes, it's still on the air. Yes people still watch it. And this season was probably the best since 2018's 'David v. Goliath'. Unlike the previous season, which felt hamstrung by the the changes implemented due to Covid, Survivor 42 sang along thanks to a stupendous cast, some format tweaks, and the good luck that all the worst twists ended up whiffing. Too often a season boils down to one or two real winner candidates, some weirdos, and filler, but here the final 9 of 20 competitors all feel like they might have a genuine shot at this thing, right up until their own unique downfall. Tons of people here I'd be happy to see back down the line for an all-star season.

3. Taskmaster Series 13 + 14 When Taskmaster clicks, it's the best comedy-variety show out there, and after a few years of lineups and tasks that never quite gelled, both of this year's offerings knocked it out of the park. I don't have much to say beyond 'the show is funny', but it turns out that's enough!

2. We Own This City A grim reminder that watching 'The Wire' didn't actually fix any of the problems. There's a lot to love about the acting and craftsmanship here, but above all else this is one of the most meticulous dissections of just how wholly the institution of American police-work has failed. In my opinion the whole series is encapsulated by the scene where the city can't find 12 jurors who will trust police testimony, but it's endlessly watchable from beginning to end.

1. Barry Season 3 This show could have so easily been awful. There's so many elements that could have been hacky, boring or embarrassing when subjected to baseline TV writing. Instead, invested with increasingly confident creative power, Bill Hader has used his high-concept premise to smuggle one of the darkest comedies of all time onto TV. The show gets better every season, and by this point it barely qualifies as a comedy, which makes for one hell of a series arc. Like most fans, I'm expecting just one more season, and if the trajectory continues, it'll hopefully be one of the best finales of all time.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not so honourable mentions to the following. I enjoyed these shows for what they were:

Peaky Blinders - Cillian Murphy is a fascinating actor. Show was never an all-timer for me, and these season was one of the worst but it was still a fun ride.
Ozark - Kind of disappointing final season after a really fun ride up until this point. Last couple of episodes were especially frustrating.
The Walking Dead - I drifted from this show after about season 5 but picked it back up again this year and from about season 9 onwards, it really started to do some good things again which gave me glimpses of previous greatness. I liked what they did in this final season.
Yellowstone, 1883, 1923 and Tulsa King - I'm gonna keep watching them all but the wheels are starting to fall of the Sheridan machine (Tulsa King is ehhhhh and 1923 so far has been astoundingly bad)

Honorable mentions to the following. These could have been on my list on any given day but just didn't ge there. Would still love to give them a shout out:

Welcome To Wrexham - Just missed my list when I realised I forgot Atlanta. I battled plenty of cynics on the forum re: this show, but it was an absolute joy to watch. Rob and Ryan seem like genuinely good guys and it was really fun getting to know this team, the people of the town and to follow them on their journey. Can't wait for season two.
Reboot - Really liked this show. Fun concept. Great to have Rachel Bloom back on my screen.
Black Bird - This is my poo poo. Really well done prison drama. I found Taron Edgerton to be electric. Dude just commands your attention and is captivating.
Tokyo Vice - Yeah, Ansel Elgort is a bit of a chump (if not worse) but the show is fun and the universe is cool.
Mythic Quest - The cast has a ton of charm. Charlotte Nicdao might be my favourite person in the world. Show has a high floor but didn't hit it out of the park this year.
Reservation Dogs - Show continues to knock it out of the park. A genuinely fascinating show to watch each week and learn more about the indigenous population of the US.
Bluey - Not as good as previous seasons but still the best kids show on TV by far.
Industry - Binged both seasons in December and had a ton of fun.
After Life - I know he's the internets least favourite person (in my internet circles anyway), but I like Ricky Gervais and it continues to baffle me how he continues to make be bawl my eyes out with every episode of this show.
Mayor of Kingstown - The best of the expanded Taylor Sheridan-verse.
Avenue 5 - Wish this didn't take so long to return. Had a ton of fun with it though.
Mo - This was my random "scrolling through Netflix and click on it" self discovery of the year. Binged it in a couple of days and really enjoyed it. Love learning about new slices of life for various populations.
The Patient - Fun little thriller with good performances all around. Really tight, well structured story and show.
Animal Kingdom - The show continued to be fun to the very end. I'm glad to have been there for the entire journey and was fun to watch the boys story conclude.

10. Peacemaker
I felt like this aired forever ago and it's hard to remember how much fun I had watching it, but the fact I still remember having fun with it is impressive in itself. I've not been a fan of anything DC related over the last few years, but James Gunn might just change all that.

9. The White Lotus
I was a fan of the first season but season two for me was an improvement in every way. Mike White is doing something that no one else on TV is doing and I could see this show easily going another 2-3 seasons if he wants it o. Aubrey Plaza continues to evolve and truly impress.

8. The English
I think Westerns might well be becoming one of my favourite genres. This show was an absolute hoot. Some really unique storytelling and imagry and some really interesting tonal choices.

7. We Own This City
Yeah, David Simon can be a bit of of a prick on Twitter, but holy poo poo, he can still make good TV shows. There was a some clunky, overly preachy dialogue here and there, but the story was riveting, the cast was amazing and the depiction of real life events was both astounding and jawdropping. I absolutely loved following along with all the supplemenaty podcasts and twitter feeds.

6. Barry
This show continues to impress. It does things that are truly unique that no other shows are doing on TV. A great balance of comedy and pathos that contiues to be fresh after three seasons. Hader and co. should be applauded.

5. Severance
What a ride this show was. I'm a big fan of pretty much the entire case and the story was something that was familiar, yet entirely unique. A really fun mindfuck that had a riveting last couple of episodes. Can't wait to see what happens next.

4. Better Call Saul
I can't believe a spinoff of Breaking Bad starring the slimy jerkwad lawyer actually worked, and not only worked, did something really special. And in it's final season, it actually stuck the landing. Breaking Bad had a great ending, if not a little neat and tidy, but the end of this season was close to perfect. Bravo Vince Gilligan and co.

3. Atlanta
The show is undeniable. Unlike anything else on TV. The wait was worth it. Did I love 100% of the choices that were made? No. Is Glover starting to veer a little too Kanye for my liking? Maybe. But I'm so grateful for this creation and I'm glad for every minute he gave us.

2. The Rehearsal
Nathan Fielder is genius and I continue to be fascinated and amazed by him. I was really looking forward to this after being such a long time fan of Nathan For You and this show didn't disaappoint. Can't wait to see what he does next.

1. The Bear
What a refreshing tour de force this show was. Jeremy Allen White continues to be amazing, but the rest of the cast where really special too. FX continues to produce so absolute gems.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man I completely forgot about Sprung. That show was great.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man I completely forgot about Sprung. That show was great.

It felt a lot like My Name is Earl 2.0, but I did enjoy it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

4) Forged in Fire - continues to be the most wholesome competition show on TV. the new host is a little awkward but at least they're not anti-vax. all of the dads that make knives on this show are easy to root for because they support each other, they hold their head high when they lose, there's no forced anger or animosity, just dads in cowboy hats and ill-fitting shirts that love to make swords.

:hfive: I really like this show too. As you say it's really refreshing to watch a competition show where everyone just wants to have good time. I just wish they would stop trying to make "it will cut" a thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Oasx posted:

It felt a lot like My Name is Earl 2.0, but I did enjoy it.

Why is that a "but"?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

As a fan of the movie Animal Kingdom, I dropped out of Animal Kingdom late in the first season when I saw how long they were going to take the plot. So it's good all the way through and worth a watch?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Am I gonna pretend likes it's the flawless second coming of The Wire? No.

But Animal Kingdom stayed consistent throughout and I loved it. Ellen Barkin killed it, I find Finn Cole endlessly watchable and Shawn Hatosy's performance was genuinely compelling.

If you don't think overly hard about the long term multi-season storytelling arcs and just focus on the season length ones you'll enjoy some fun heists, a cool setting and compelling performances.

I know a lot of people thought the show would lose its way after the major season 4 death but it was fun watching the fallout/change in dynamics and the flashback storyline was strangely compelling.

PS I also really want their house

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 17, 2023

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Just wanted to say I love reading and writing these lists every year, thank you for allowing me to taint the averages! It's looking like another year where I haven't seen the thread's fave (Severance) but I really need to get on that. Without further ado:

10. ZIWE
“This one goes out to all my poors out there.”
Ziwe’s Instagram Live show was appointment viewing in the lockdown of 2020. I mean, did you see Caroline Calloway's? The premise was an interview with non-Black famous people and baiting them with questions like “how many Black friends do you have?” Often the answer was akin to a trainwreck in a schadenfreuden attempt to preserve their image. Ziwe brought the show to a half hour streaming format where it involves more sketches and satire. However, the best moments now are when the ‘iconic guest’ on the show, say Chet Hanks or Julia Fox, are not in on the joke and are so insane that even Ziwe is speechless.

9. RIVERDALE
“Harlot of Babylon behaviour.”
Evergreen disclaimer: this show is not good in a quality way but amazing in a memorable way. No other CW show (Rest In Peace) can reach 100 episodes and still match their level of crazy consistently. What started as an alternate universe anthology arc in season six turned into a canon holy grail war ending with a super-powered sacrifice to stop an armageddon event that reversed time back to the 1950s, all while singing a Billie Eilish cover. Where the gently caress else are you going to see this on TV?? Other out of context highlights from this season include Betty being a descendant of the Whore of Babylon (and also chainsawing a serial killer in her garage), a union-busting 446 year old wizard, and Cheryl Blossom joining Sabrina The Teenage Witch’s coven. There's also an episode called 'Angels in America' where Tabitha Tate time travels to end racism in Riverdale with the help of the angel Raphael. I’m genuinely excited to see if this show goes back to what made it good in S1 or just gives up for the last season.

8. ATTACK ON TITAN: THE FINAL SEASON - PART 2
"There weren’t any devils on this island. They were just people."
The best comedy of the year just because this ‘season’ is never-ending but at this point living in a world without ongoing AoT feels alien. I'm still thinking about that final scene. MAPPA animates the titans crossing the ocean and making landfall in such a horrifying way. It reminds you of the sheer scale of these beings. 80 episodes in you become desensitized to the violence but it was like seeing episode one again.

7. WESTWORLD
“There’s time for one last game. One last loop around the bend. I choose to give her the chance.”
RIP. You strayed too far from the park. Westworld’s now final season definitely improved on the bad S3 and it looked like it was just getting back to what made it good in the first place: a rancher’s daughter in a game.

6. DERRY GIRLS
“If they want catholics to join they’re going to have to find something that works with our complexion.”
One of the funniest shows on TV in the last few years and easily the most rewatchable ended somewhat disappointingly for me. I think it was their least comedic and most dramatic, not really what the writing excels at! The show also ends in a current day time-skip Chelsea Clinton cameo that makes sense story-wise but is so jarring that it ruined the series finale upon impact for me. But ultimately, a coming of age story about childhood ending just as the Troubles in Ireland ended was extremely my poo poo. Derry Girls also has maybe my all-time favourite soundtrack from a TV show ever?

5. THE WHITE LOTUS
“Sometimes I think I should have started that spa for poor women with the girl from Maui. Maybe she put a curse on me.”
This juuuust made my list after watching both season one and two in a week. This show is like a primetime soap opera dramedy in the vein of Desperate Housewives. Watching The White Lotus is fun all the way through but it never seems to stick the landing when it comes to narrative comeuppance. Killing Jennifer Coolidge off feels like a wasted opportunity and is tragic in terms of the story. But I love the anthology concept and its potential with the number of locations and themes. I hope next season is set in an ayahuasca retreat.

4. SEARCH PARTY
“Hot dog, no bun, just relish, cup style. Hurry! I just had therapy.”
If you would’ve told me the journey this show would go on after season one I would not have believed you. Search Party started out as a story about a group of friends looking for a missing person and ended in a world-ending zombie apocalypse. All because of the actions of the main character. Honestly I love how they just completely bent genres and said “gently caress it” for their final season. Despite all that, the ending of Search Party is actually very fitting. The camera lingers on Dory as she’s looking at a wall of missing people posters and shows no emotion. Pure evil.

3. HOUSE OF THE DRAGON
"What is this mortal life, if not the pursuit of legacy?"
I promised myself I wouldn’t get invested in another incest dragon show but here we are, clown makeup on my face. I don’t think the families at war are all that compelling as the original GoT but the war leading into next season will probably spice it up. Hot take? This has better debut acting roles than Game of Thrones S1 did in Paddy Considine and Olivia Cooke. HBO is also very liberal with burning money for all that dragon CGI compared to the original series, more of that please!

2. STRANGER THINGS 4
“I don't know you that well, kiddo, but I'm betting the fate of the planet that you're one of the good ones.”
It’s hard to deny the sheer appeal of Stranger Things—and this was their strongest season yet. I think the show’s cast has grown too large for its own good and suffers from Scooby Doo “let’s split up gang” syndrome, but when the separate storylines merge together it’s magic. This season also had one of the most best TV villains in a long time. Vecna is a worthy overarching baddie and I can’t wait to see what happens now that the Upside Down has advanced past the realm of a couple of kids in middle school out into the greater world. Running Up That Hill and Kate Bush getting their flowers was worth it alone!

1. THE MOLE
“I don’t trust you. And my gut is telling me that you’re the shithole Mole.”
The majority of my TV time this year was devoted to watching reality competition shows (notice how little there are in my list?) Netflix sometimes gets it right in this genre. Yes, this is a reboot of THAT Mole from network TV in the early 2000s. The cast understood the assignment and the editors left the whodunnit mystery up in the air for as long as possible. The reality character of the year has to be Joi, a commercial airline pilot (that can't read a map), and her entire chaotically nonchalant gameplay. I was invested until the very end. This was the most fun I had watching TV in 2022.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God I love ZIWE so much

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
gently caress I totally forgot Derry Girls

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Need to see that Caroline Calloway interview

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I forgot to put Snowfall into my honourable mentions so I'd like to shout it out here. Man, it's crazy how much that show has changed over the years and I'm kind of pumped for the new/final season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Polls up to this point have been tallied

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just because you DM'd, I'm posting to say thanks everyone for the great writeups. If I tried to do a top ten I'd be listing everything I managed to watch which would include Seal Team and The Rookie so will keep it to:

4. Andor - Real Star Wars by which I mean possibly the first time post-trilogy media has actually captured the sense of 'faux-adultness' that, made tiny child me feel like I was watching something important, what with the boardrooms and beaurocracy and the violence possibly having a personal impact.

3. Peacemaker - Delightful follow up to the good SS movie, I can believe an Eagle will hug a man.

2. Severence - the best of the quirky limited-run high-concept prestige scifi shows over the past few years and the first I'm happy is getting a second season

1. Only Murders in the Building - OMITB had some odd stuff but still came out on top. I still feel bad for Theo getting ditched when he thought he'd made a connection, and the slowmo/tomatos bit was some real Vic and Bob weirdness.

vv Argh - righto: vvv

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 19, 2023

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Just because you DM'd, I'm posting to say thanks everyone for the great writeups. If I tried to do a top ten I'd be listing everything I managed to watch which would include Seal Team and The Rookie so will keep it to:

4. Andor
3. Peacemaker
2. Severence
1. Only Murders in the Building

OMITB had some odd stuff but still came out on top. I still for bad for Theo getting ditched when he thought he'd made a connection, and the slowmo/tomatos bit was some real Vic and Bob weirdness.

Good list! But you have to write at least one sentence about each one for it to be counted toward the tallies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You need to list 10 for it to be counted at all so that doesn’t make a difference

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

You need to list 10 for it to be counted at all so that doesn’t make a difference

Ah good point!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Oh well!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Disappointing:
1899: Lightning does not in fact strike twice, the credit Dark gave was spent too much in special effects and not in creating a compelling story with interesting characters
Warrior Nun: The cast deserved so much better. Great action too, just a huge mess of a storyline.
Jack Ryan: A show 10 years out of date already.
She Hulk: It was just too much of that thing with poor CGI taking up too much of the show.,
The Capture: Like Jack Ryan, a show that presents a highly competent and dangerous Russia. It also tries to be tech savvy and then comes up with the most absurd NCIS-level nonsense when the plot requires it like how Russians put malware in GCHQ that mails terabytes of data out undetected because no one checks mail traffic
Gangs of London: Stylishly violent but ultimately nothing happens despite all the mayhem.

Almost made the list:
White Lotus: If the hotel staff had been just a bit more interesting it would have made it as memorable as season 1.
Station Eleven: It seems so long ago but this came out when the pandemic was still very much affecting life and it was a beautiful vision of hope to come from tragedy.
The Boys: Good stuff but more of the same.
Outer Range: Gripping but felt like the potential was not used fully. Great cast, especially Imogen Poots and the every reliable Tom Pelphrey
SAS Rogue Heroes. All this needed to make the list was Sofia Boutella shanking some nazis. The lack of that is unforgivable.
Evil: A show to look forward too every week because anything can and will happen. Except explaining or resolving what happened in all the previous episodes and the plot baggage is piling up to critical levels.

The 10:

10. Derry Girls
A fitting end to a lovely show, ending with the end of the terrible conflict. Consistently funny and charming, this last season showed some suprises with Liam Neeson as a guest star and a brilliant flashback
to the Girls' moms being young Derry Girls. And while it may have been easier to use either existing actress for that part they found new performers who were both instantly recognizable and filling out their backstories in unexpected ways.

9. Reacher
Sometimes a show just has to be exactly what it needs to be to shine. Small town, some terrible people in need of killing and Reacher to clean up the mess. That's all you need really.
Alan Ritchinson excels at both being a huge murder machine but still looking like a nice guy that random thugs would think they could take. "Sure he's twice my size but look at that softie, no way he'll rip my head off"

8. Irma Vep
This should have been insufferably meta to a point where it becomes a farce. Making a show about making a show while you already made a movie about making a movie that is a remake of an old movie starring versions of yourself
and your ex-wife does not come across as a solid base to work from. But I was captivated from start to finish at all of it, the weirdness that mega stardom is and how people deal with it. The everyday workings of a TV show
were fascinating as well, you see people like Rene and Gottfried who are quite mad but still very good at their jobs. Alicia Vikander's performance is also very different from when she's acting as acting or just playing an actor
waiting on set for the next take.

7. Better Call Saul
What is left to say? A monumental undertaking has come to its conclusion and has set standards for everyone elso to meet. Despite the iron boundaries set by the (non)presence of its central characters in the following series
it spared no effort to make them fully fleshed out before they exited, stage left. Some of it did not work as they were impossible, like making the actors look like younger versions of themselves 15 years ago.

6. The English
Gorgeous, horrifying and captivating this was something to sit back, let it wash over you and don't think too much on what is actually happening. In just six episodes they put a lot of story, memorable characters and
their development.

5. Barry
Still going strong where it could so easily have gone stale. The absurdity of the superbly staged action scenes is something no other show pulls off while also delivering huge character moments. There are so many superb scenes
in this season to just look at and enjoy every time. The 'only the algorithm knows' scene was incredible to see in the current TV environment.

4. We Own This City
The Wire II: Back To Baltimore??? Sign me the gently caress up!!! But this was not that, the presence of Wire alumni in totally different roles seem to be there to both have something for the fans and still be clearly different.
Although Jay Landsman making chief kind of works. Jon Bernthal delivers what for me was the performance of the year in a year full of great ones. He is so captivating and even when you just saw him do terrible things in the episode
you still fall for the 'I did nothing wrong' as he totally believes it as well. Someone who can convince himself of a lie can convince others way more easily. Even when the feds swoop in and all his fellow dirty cops have confessed
he's still there defiantly proclaiming his innocence.

3. Severance
Another show to come from a someone totally new to TV like Outer Range whose premise was so original and thought provoking you wonder how no one came up with it before. It's so weird and mundane and funny and sad all at once with Adam Scott
going completely against type and killing it.

2. House of the Dragon
It was in some ways a small show compared to the massive spectacle GoT was, taking place mostly in rooms with people talking. Someone involved must be a huge Crusader Kings fan to make Agnatic-Cognatic vs. Agnatic succession laws the
driving force behind the whole seasons. Oh, dragons were there too. If your show is basically a big theater play you need good actors and they totally delivered there. The throne room entrance was the moment of the year for me.

1. Andor
Star Wars shows come with a lot of baggage. Like it or not, it's been part of entertainment as long I've been consumer of entertainment and as such each new release starts with a Death Star sized ball chained to its feet.
And just as it seemed like that history would crush all new content under its weight, Tony Gilroy finds the exhaust port and blasts through. Discarding the Volume machine of mediocrity for actual locations and the Force as
a dumb superstition that ruins any plotline he and his band of rebels triumphed against all odds. It all worked. Especially the things you wouldn't think could work.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 19, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I kind of loved everything on this list, so this is just arbitrary and could change at a moment's notice. I did try and put more effort into the actual part that counts.

30. In The Dark (4)
Brutally big swing of a final episode in an up-and-down but always trying CW show that never had much budget but always slapped the absolute max that it could on screen. The platonic ideal of a final season, in that it was ambitious and crowd pleasing but still swung its own way when it wanted to, and always had a very sly sense of humour.

29. Kevin Can F**k Himself (2)
An ending that was smart but a bit too much of a thinker for me. I ultimately found it a meaningful and sweet.

28. Interview With The Vampire (1)
Smartly constructed take on abusive relationships that fully leans into being pulp trash (in a basic cable way).

27. The Dropout (miniseries)
Dramatically very compelling, with a propulsion that I appreciated. Very good at what I've seen called "audience positioning", i.e. the way a show can manipulate the viewers' perspective and sympathy with the way it reveals more about their character and their situation. Amanda Seyfried is appropriately outsized and Naveen Andrews underplays it beautifully, they do a great job of modulating their choices throughout the season.

26. Chloe (miniseries)
Pretty good, like a more serious version of the first season of Search Party.

25. Primal (2)
Wild colours, particularly in the first half. Unfortunately I found the last arc to be drawn out. Ending made an impact though, I like the reading that conceives of it a reflection of the "survival at all costs" allegory in the seasons' fifth episode.

24. The Last Days Of Ptolemy Grey (miniseries)
Pretty tight. Good adaptation, best Samuel L Jackson performance in what feels like decades.

23. High School (1)
Morphs into an authentic take on what it feels like to create music. Never liked Colbie Smulders better than she is in her role. Criminal it's not been renewed yet.

22. Leopard Skin
The horniest show on television.

21. The Rehearsal (1)
there's just no substitute for the real thing

20. Three Busy Debras (2)
This owns. Just mad.

19. Atlanta (3 + 4)
I wish this resonated with me more. A technically excellent show that just never hooked itself into my brain the way that other elements lower on this

18. Euphoria (2)
Wildly obvious this was edited together based on a troubled production. Still insanely good television; the entire play was wild. Intensely horny too, and all the actors are vamping it up with these incredibly intense performances that only sort of make sense as a sort of massaged reality.

17. Raised By Wolves (2)
Batshit. The idea of marrying Hellenistic storytelling and a story about emerging consciousnesses together in a way that recognises that the primitive storytelling style can be made uncanny when coming out of the mouth of a highly advanced, possibly psychotic mouth. Characterisation is diminutive in service of a weird monolith plot, which still works because the plot is genuinely fascinating and it's already given itself permission to be uncanny.

tldr; it was wild in a way that worked for it. Cancelled.

16. Moonhaven (1)
A utopian science-fiction story for cynics like me, that wonders about the fraught attempt to introduce progressive ideals into a culture that desperately fights against them even as it ultimately dooms them. Great lead performances, fun with language and a sly sense of humour. Cancelled.

15. Search Party
Savage. Charts the series' overall excellent arc -- from a totally grounded, so-believable-it's-boring slice of life to whatever-this-was with great success. The show is a minor classic, this season is just a very funny extended coda.

14. Station Eleven
Nicely written, handsomely shot, sort of magical realist series that doesn't quite lean hard enough into the fantasy to make me believe a handful of the character motivations. Otherwise really great, loved all the cast, found the performances really strong too. Very loving moving when it wants to be.

13. The Wilds (2)
Loved it. Brings to male relationships a sort of focus that's normally reserved for women, in a way I felt was fresh rather than reactionary. (Not Dennis Leary's Rescue Me, is what I'm saying.) Developed a very dark sense of humour this season. Gutted it's cancelled.

12. Am I Being Unreasonable? (1)
Fun as gently caress character study/dark comedy thriller. Twisty in a way I did not see coming. Karla Crome steals the show.

11. A League Of Their Own (1)
Sweet, if a little syrupy, but it's fantasy wish fulfilment narrative about people overcoming obstacles and fighting for their dreams, it's the charm of the kind of story. The sixth episode that talks about outing is an excellent episode of television, and would be the kind of thing that would turn up in old AV Club articles with titles like "best episodes in shows you've never heard of before reading this list".

Why no renew?

10. This is Going To Hurt
Youch. This hurt.

9. The Bear (1)
One of those dramas that can only be half an hour of else it would get too intense. loving good. That episode about instituting a new cooking order is awesome, the single take episode is great.

8. I Hate Suzie (2: I Hate Suzie Too)
This season shifted the vibrant character study of the first season (which was kind of like a more committed, less murdery, honestly better than, Afterparty) into something closer to that one Black Mirror episode, 15 Million Merits. Wild dance numbers, excellent use of a Bucks FIzz song. The final episode is shot like something Cuaron might do. Billie Piper is insane.

7. Industry (2)
Lol, just when I was forgetting that this show hates all its bankers[/s] I mean wankers, I mean cast, I drew me back in. Good stuff, somehow renewed.

6. ZIWE (2)
gently caress she's funny. Love how she makes her guests squirm but only when they let her. Feels fair rather than gotcha journalism, even though it totally is that by admission.

5. The English (miniseries)
Stunningly constructed -- and very much a constructed show. Love the way it holds all its cards close to its chest and makes even costuming choices end up being relevant to the narrative. Really gut wrenching when it wants to be.

4. House Of The Dragon (1)
A friend called this "feminist medieval horror" and it definitely starts out that way, before morphing into a tragedy punctuated by bleak, satirical jokes. Manages to feel way more purposeful than most IP tie ins do (something Andor succeeded at doing too).

3. Better Call Saul (6)
The first two thirds of the season are good, but not to the point where I'd place it this hard. It's hard to criticise Better Call Saul since all of that was its characters and plots forward, and creating impressive sequences that feel monumental even as they only serve to creep the story forward, all the better to ratchet up the tension. But I was honestly kind of tired of it. The back few episodes managed to get me more involved thanks to the appearance of fresh characters and a slight tip into magical realism. The first half of Waterworks is my single favourite stretch of television to air all last year.

2. Babylon Berlin (4)
It's like Andor except there's dancing instead of laser fights. The dancing in this particular entry was the best, with a big multi-episode number inspired by the choreography from Metropolis. Serious about its topics but knows how to have fun too -- by leaning overly into pulp. This season has a heist episode, a horror episode, and a holiday episode. It had a wild spy subplot involving zepplins. An animated Constructivist cartoon! gently caress this got me where I live.

1. Severance (1)
I am not a type of bellybutton, I am a free man.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It was an interesting year:
10:Alone This is my comfort show and the only show in the "Reality" category that I like. Simple formula done right for 9 seasons now and there aren't many ways it can go bad. Ten people go off into the woods and the last person still alive gets money. No staged drama required

9:Wednesday Ortega shines in the role but I'll admit it wastes a lot of time on mis-aimed plot points

8:The Legend of Vox Machina Totally biased 'cause my name's somewhere at the seemingly bottomless list of Kickstarter backers, animation's great, they made that scene perfectly, and of course the actors are doing their best, but it loses some points because the first two episodes try too hard for that "Hard R" rating

7: Our Flag Means Death Funny and thought provoking in equal measure

6:Harley Quinn Crude as it wants to be, pulls back for genuine emotion when it needs to

5:Peacemaker I got Wig Wam stuck in my head the whole year, and my opinion of Cena went up a few points

4: Primal Tartatovsky continues to be the best, enough said

3:The Owl House Packed to the gills with Stuff I Like, Wendy Malick is always a win, and I'm a sucker for eldritch horrors portrayed as children

2: Andor A common criticism of the other scifi IP these days is that Star Trek doesn't know how to portray Starfleet's borderline Utopia without fear of taking a hard political stance. On the other end of the coin, Star Wars has found critical success by looking inward and focusing on the spaces between their big franchises. We can all see the fascism on the horizon, and even if the happy ending is even further on the horizon, we know it's there, we just gotta survive until then.

1: Better Call Saul It was never not gonna be this, but lemme explain. BCS's real success was how it framed Breaking Bad as a Ghost Story, the original may have been a greek tragedy but now it all feels like the inevitable consequence of three men who just couldn't Let poo poo Go

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

There sure were some TV shows in 2022.

10) The Righteous Gemstones: This will make my list for the port-o-potty baby scene.
9) Stranger Things: They be runnin' up that hill and leaving their cultural mark. The episodes were overbloated but the story was better than the previous season.
8) White Lotus: I've got 2 episodes left to watch so it lands here for me. The characters are less engaging and/or likable than last season.
7) Alice in Borderland: The games/episodes continued to be entertaining and it was great to get answers about what the hell this show was about.
6) The Bear: This show can be so intense I had no idea that episode was a one-shot until well after viewing.
5) We Own This City: ACAB.
4) Chucky: An explosive fun time. Chuckys fighting each other, Jennifer Tilly having the time of her life (including a Bound reunion with Gina Gershon and Joe Pantoliano), and hilariously gruesome death scenes.
3) Barry: That freeway chase was crazy.
2) Reservation Dogs: Absolutely stellar second season. The cast of characters grew deeper, the storytelling was bold, and the show achieved a perfect balance of heavy and light moments.
1) Better Call Saul: Good closure for an entire world of characters.

Yer Burnt fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 21, 2023

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Crap. Procrastination strikes again and I didn't get to watch The Resort, Afterparty, Industry, Heart stoppers or Prehistoric Planet. Lots of B+/A- TV this year. And then there's this top tier poo poo.

Honorable mention: Pike's Enterprise is exactly what we've been wanting to ride since the 70s.

10. Taskmaster- Consistently entertaining, lighthearted and feel-good. I teach kids frustration tolerance by having them watch this show with their parents.

9. We Own This City- Needed to be longer, but a taste of the good stuff is better than nothing.

8. Barry-They keep keeping it interesting. Thought this might have less legs but the writing acting direction casting and even action scenes are brilliant.

7. Better Call Saul-A hint mealy towards the end but still a satisfying end to a fascinating journey.

6. The Rehearsal-Different, in all the right ways.

5. Severance-Incredible world-building. True suspense.

4. Atlanta-Interesting choices S3.. S4 is what we've come to expect.

3. Res Dogs-So much heart. I could marathon this world for weeks. A'ho.

2. This is going to Hurt-Possibly even more heart than resdogs, which is saying a lot. "Better play it safe and skip the public health system" says it all.

1. The Bear--Immersive world, almost entirely filmed in a grease pit, with occasional breaks for birthday parties and the like >< Dialogue, pace, comic relief, no perfect characters. You won't be able to put it down, but you'll also want to save and savor.

Thanks, mods and everyone who posted this year, in this thread and in Couch Chat. Great, diverse tastes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yer Burnt posted:

4) Chucky: Jennifer Tilly having the time of her life (including a Bound reunion with Gina Gershon and Joe Pantoliano)

gently caress gently caress fuckity gently caress, guess I gotta watch Chucky now.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I like your picks! The handful of lesser-known shows that made both of our lists (Alone, Primal) make me even more compelled to check out the stuff on your list that I haven’t seen yet

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Cutting this close so I’ll be brief.

There is definitely more I need to watch from the past year but of things I did watch, here’s what I liked the most.

10. We Own This City

ACAB am I right? Another great story from David Simon. It is weird to see Marlow as a cop.

9. Somebody Somewhere

Now this was a nice little show about wondering where to go next in life and looking for a sense of belonging. In a way it feels like the show Baskets. That is if Baskets was a indie film made in the mid to late 00’s.

8. The Rehearsal

I’ve never really watched Nathan for you. I’ve seen bits and pieces and understand that a lot of the humor is derived from awkward encounters. I thought I knew what I was getting into but nope. Wasn’t expecting this. Loved it once things starting picking up in episode two with that Christian woman. Like is she even real?? This show is definitely a master class in meta narrative.

7. The Bear

Many of you have already talked about what makes this show great. I have nothing really more to add. Episode 7, woo-wee intense!

6. Andor

Star Wars good now? We’ll see if they poo poo the bed in season two. I hope not though. It was great to see a Star Wars show that was about people. I did not miss any of the usual lightsabers or force powers. It also got points for having two favorite type of narrative devices prison breaks and heists . More Star Wars stuff like this please!

5. Ranking of Kings

This was one of those half in 2021 half in 2022 shows. It is such a good anime. Beautiful animation, wonderful story, and some great action. I love that this show really brings home the theme of “Don’t judge a book by its cover” at first they establish a character as a typical archetype, example the evil step mother, but then an episode will focus on that evil step mother character and exposes them as something much more complex than you originally though. Definitely give it a watch if you’re into to that sort of thing.

4. Game Changer

This is a big guilty pleasure for me. I’m not the biggest fan of improve but when you frame it like a game show and give the “contestants” wonderfully written prompts that play to their strengths you get a wonderful and funny show. I think one of things I like most of this show, and content on dropout.tv in general, is that I really like the community of talent behind it. It nice to see familiar faces return and put into new situations.

3. Mob Psycho 100

The final season of this show. I’m sad to see it go but happy to see a satisfactory conclusion. This is another anime with amazing animation, awesome action, and a sweet story about growing up, feeling feelings, and fighting other Espers with psychic powers.

2. Severance

Holy poo poo what a show. I would have payed top dollar to get the next weeks episode while it was airing. I haven’t felt that since breaking bad first aired. I love the concept behind the show and where the creators took it. It’s so visually pleasing and drat it doesn’t keep me interested to the very end. I want the next season now! It would have been #1 if it wasn’t for…

1. Better Call Saul

As if you didn’t see this coming. This is possibly one of the greatest shows that will ever exist. It’s such a perfect conclusion to both Better Call Saul and the Breaking Bad universe as a whole. Most of you have already said what I think makes this show great so I’ll just say, if you haven’t seen it yet, watch it. It’s so good!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I didn't watch enough TV to do a full list this year but my favourite show of the year was Wednesday. It's anchored by an incredible minimalist from Jenna Ortega and Enid is my spirit animal. Their chaotic friendship is everything I aspire to be

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Having thought more about this year's TV, I would swap Andor into my 1 spot. I can't stop thinking about it. Better Call Saul is/was amazing but I really think based on just what aired this year, I got it wrong and Andor was #1.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yeah

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:I'm not going to be able to do the reveal until next week - currently pencilled in either the 1st or the 2nd so I'll leave the poll open until the 11:59PM on the 28th:siren:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Having thought more about this year's TV, I would swap Andor into my 1 spot. I can't stop thinking about it. Better Call Saul is/was amazing but I really think based on just what aired this year, I got it wrong and Andor was #1.

So if you want to make this official you can - just change your list and post again in the thread or PM me.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Caught up on Abbott Elementary and updated my list since voting had been extended.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

So if you want to make this official you can - just change your list and post again in the thread or PM me.

Awesome, made two changes: Andor to 1, BCS to 2. Jack Ryan dropped out, Real Time entered the fray at 9.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Awesome, made two changes: Andor to 1, BCS to 2. Jack Ryan dropped out, Real Time entered the fray at 9.

The Bill maher show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

The Bill maher show?

Yes