Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The least-"Star Warsy" Star Wars thing I've ever seen, and also one of the best.

Meatgrinder posted:

I enjoyed Andor a lot, mainly because it allowed me to breathe in its reality, to lose myself in its story and world building. Very relaxing, very enjoyable.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

The pacing is surprisingly brisk, and the set dressing is not only there to be gawked at, it gives the planets we visit a personality and rewards the die-hards through just mere explanation of what the Senate acts like, and why democracy could fail.

King Burgundy posted:

This is technically a Star Wars show, but you could easily recommend this to anyone, it is a triumph.

3. Andor (Disney+)
NEW ENTRY
126 Points, 19 Nominations, #1 Spot 3 Times
:toot:Best on Disney+:toot:
:toot:Best Genre Show:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
How fiiting. The top 3 get a new page

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Drumroll Please!!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

A victory lap for one of the greatest shows in TV history. Don't think anything else really needs to be said.

CeeJee posted:

What is left to say? A monumental undertaking has come to its conclusion and has set standards for everyone elso to meet.

Ishamael posted:

There were a lot of great things this year, but this was the perfect ending to a great story, filled with great writing and great performances. What else can you ask for?

ShakeZula posted:

The show deftly handled the very difficult task of bringing this story to a close in a way that fits with the overall narrative of the previous show. Quite simply, it was a perfect ending.

2. Better Call Saul (AMC)
RE-ENTRY
138 Points, 16 Nominations, #1 Spot 8 Times
:toot:Best Ending Show:toot:
:toot:Highest Average Placement:toot:
:toot:Most listings at #1:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oof! The king just missed out!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

An incredible cast, a unique aesthetic, and a brilliant premise all combined to make me very hyped for this show's debut. With expectations that high it was primed for disappointment, but Severance was simply perfect in its execution.

Mrbuddylee posted:

Incredible world-building. True suspense.

fancy stats posted:

Once it got into its groove, I couldn't take my eyes off it. It helps that it's all beautifully shot.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Holy crap what a ride. This show starts like a good Black Mirror episode and just keeps getting insanely better.

Escobarbarian posted:

This isn’t just the best TV debut of the year, but one of the best first seasons ever made, excelling on every possible level and immediately becoming the best show on the best streaming service of the decade so far.

Jerusalem posted:

Some shows take a little while to find their form, others start strong and then fade, and then every so often a show comes along that just seems immediately 100% confident about exactly what it is and what it is trying to do, and it pulls it off flawlessly. Severance is one of those shows

Raspberry Bang posted:

Holy poo poo what a show. I would have payed top dollar to get the next weeks episode while it was airing. I haven’t felt that since breaking bad first aired.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I am not a type of bellybutton, I am a free man.

1. Severance (Apple TV+)
NEW ENTRY
185 Points, 22 Nominations, #1 Spot 6 Times
:toot:Best on Apple TV+:toot:
:toot:Best streaming Show:toot:
:toot:Most listed Show:toot:
:toot:Best New Show:toot:
:toot:Best: Drama Series:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That's it! Thanks everyone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man I'm so sorry I missed the countdown, thanks Looten!

Edit: Oh wow, Better Call Saul only managed 2nd, and lost by 50 points to Severance! I loved Severance but that result and the points difference really surprises me. That and Atlanta being so "low" as well.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'll post the full summary later tonight, i can't figure out how to paste tables without all the text loving up so i'll need to take/upload screenshots instead.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it was a bit of spanking in the end with the final two.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, The Bear and Barry were only seperated by a single point.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Thanks again for this year! Happy to see Severance took the top spot.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Thanks for all your work Looten Plunder!

I’m happy that Severance won, and that This Is going To Hurt placed so high :unsmith:

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Amazing work man thanks

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Meatgrinder posted:

Amazing work man thanks

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
It's my favorite time of year, and so many of my favorite names here contributing to this project makes me so glad to return time and time again.

I will get around to watching Severance just as soon as Netflix screws up it's system and I wind up resubbing to apple tv after the last session of Ted Lasso.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
First Time Showrunner Wins The Most Prestigious TV Award!!!!!

This is a first I believe. It was a great year and it looks like 2023 will be no slouch either. Maybe this year I will actually try to keep track of things and not have to scramble in December to figure out what I saw.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This list was great. Thanks a lot.
Unfortunately everyone forgot Search Party already. Miss that show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Great list Looten, thanks for doing this. Can't argue with most anything -- even though I don't agree and everyone else is WRONG!!!! -- it was a really great year for shows.

Lmfao that my innie/outie Prisoner joke made the comments.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Great list, lost to catch up on. Thanks :)

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Fabulous job Looten! I'm definitely going to check out Andor; it seems to be loved a LOT.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really good list! Thanks a lot for your work as always, Looten. 2022 was one hell of a year for TV, and 2023 looks to be continuing that trend no matter how much Zaslav wants to take it all from us.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Great work, Looten! I'm surprised that Severance made it to the top spot and that Andor got so high, but surprised in a good way for both.

Reminds me also that I need to get around to Sandman and finishing BCS and The Boys. I also didn't get around to Reboot until a few weeks ago, otherwise it might have made my list. Ah well... RIP. I didn't really realize how much good TV there was in 2022 before trying to make my list, and now I'm even more daunted.

Part of me wonders with all the recent streaming service snafus if we're going to hit a sharp decline soon, but only a month in and 2023 still looks like a very strong year. Already Paul T. Goldman, Poker Face, Last of Us, Servant, and On Cinema have aired and could potentially make it to my end of year list just based on quality so far. And in the next few months there are the return of Mandalorian, Yellowjackets, Succession, Party Down, and (later) True Detective, and debuts of The Consultant, White House Plumbers and Hello Tomorrow, all of which at least have potential for goodness.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Looten Plunder posted:

:toot:Biggest Faller: Cobra Kai (Down 69):toot:

Johnny Lawrence would be pissed for a second….but then read the last part and be totally cool with it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ony a few shows on this top 30 I hadn't already seen or heard of, glad I caught most of the best TV last year but still have some gems to browse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is a better list than anything I've seen out there done by major outlets like Vulture or what's left of the AV Club. It's hard to argue against any of these shows placement

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Final Results By Show

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Final Results by Network

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

Final Results by Network

That's a pretty impressive showing for Apple TV.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hope this brings some recognition to Apple TV+, it has so many great original shows, and I still see so many people dismiss it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Next year we should make ads and get more participation….I’d donate to that cause.

I marathoned We Own this City over the past two days and while it was great - there’s just so much I’d rather watch than a show about police corruption. Knowing it was a miniseries is the only reason I watched.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Thanks so much for putting all this together, Looten! I look forward to this every year, and this was another good list. Appreciate all the hard work!