Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Been looking forward to the thread for a while, I love reading people's lists.
On my list are 24 tv shows that I would all feel deserve a top ten placing. But I'm going to have to make some hard cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Honorable mentions
All of these shows could easily have made it to my top ten in a weaker year, but with as much good tv as there was they didn't quite make it.
But I liked them enough to have them mentioned.

What We Do in the Shadows

After the disappointing 3rd season, this show was back in full form.
Highlights include the Home Improvement episode and Laszlo and Nadja's wedding song.

From
"From the executive producers of Lost" aren't exactly words that strike me with confidence.
Partly because I don't imagine that the executive producers had much to do with what made Lost great, and partly because many shows have tried to be the next Lost, and they all failed.
Despite all that, From succeeds and has a lot of Lost vibes, but it is its own show.

Rings of Power
While House of the Dragon was wallowing in gratuitous sex/violence, and going several episodes with nothing happening, Rings of Power was trucking along and just told a good story.
It was flawed certainly, but ultimately good. The highlights were the Elrond and Durin scenes, whenever the two characters were together on screen it was pure magic.

Sprung
Greg Garcia decided that My Name is Earl was so nice that it deserved to be made twice.
And so we have Sprung, which is incredibly similar in plot and feel, but that isn't a criticism, Sprung was a nice and cozy show,
even if it wasn't quite as good as the show it was emulating.

Killing it
A heart-warming story about Jillian G. and Craigory murdering snakes in the swamp.

Upload
The first season was one of my favourite shows of 2020, and while the second season was also very funny, it wasn't quite
as good as the first one.

Panhandle
Luke Kirby (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) plays an agoraphobic man who hasn't left the house since his wife was murdered.
With the help of a traffic cop, he tries to solve it while dealing with his issues.
This show is good and has some fun characters, but the highlight is Kirby's great acting.

Derry Girls
My favourite show where I am also constantly trying to translate Irish slang.
This was the last season with the girls from Derry, and it's a show I plan on coming back to for years.

The actual Top Ten

10. Andor
Andor almost didn't make it to the list, a Star Wars show that doesn't feel like Star Wars, and possibly the first Star Wars live-action project
that doesn't revolve around the events of a 45-year-old movie.
I almost feel bad for Diego Luna, every single recurring character on the show has a lot more debt than Cassian Andor, even the droid.

9. Moonhaven
The cancellation of Moonhaven was one of the great injustices of 2022 tv.
It feels like everything is going grimdark these days, even Star Trek, so it was nice having a genuinely optimistic science fiction show on tv.
Dominic Monaghan was in his best role yet.

8. Murderville
Get a bunch of funny people, and let them react and improvise in absurd situations. The funniest thing on tv this year.

7. The Good Fight
The Good Fight started off as a fairly serious legal drama but quickly became increasingly absurd.
While the sixth and final season turned it down a notch, it was still just all-out craziness.
I will truly miss The Good Fight in my life.

6. Ms. Marvel
The feel-good show of the year. Iman Vellani is the best Marvel casting since Robert Downey JR.
Everything involving Kamala, her family, and her friends were just about perfect.
Some of the middle episodes dragged a little, but nothing that made me love the shows less.

5. She-Hulk
It's hard to be unbiased against this show, the sheer fact that it made chuds super angry is enough reason to like it.
But it was also a fun legal comedy and had some great characters, with Madisynn being the breakout star.

4. Prehistoric planet
A great-looking documentary focusing on dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures.
It's just nice seeing dinosaurs depicted well, that isn't an awful disaster movie.

3. Severance
Everyone else has described this show better, but just a great compelling mystery.

2. The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey
Samuel L. Jackson plays Ptolemy Grey, a 91-year-old man with dementia. He gets offered a treatment that will give him all his memories back
for a short amount of time, but it will only work once.
I've been raving about this show for a long time, this is by far Jackson's best role ever.

1. This is going to Hurt
A drama, comedy, and horror story about working as a doctor in the NHS.
Nothing this year affected me as much as the events of this show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Andrew_1985 posted:

Is the podcast the show is based on worth listening to?

That depends. As a fan of the podcast I found the tv show to be mostly bad and a pale imitation of the podcast. But someone who watched the show first might not care for the weirdness of the podcast. Based on the ending, the tv show was going to be completely different than the podcast after the first season.

So I highly recommend the podcast, but they’re pretty different.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Nice seeing AEW on the list, RJ City is a national treasure.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I forgot about the google sheet thing, sorry

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man I completely forgot about Sprung. That show was great.

It felt a lot like My Name is Earl 2.0, but I did enjoy it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Thanks for all your work Looten Plunder!

I’m happy that Severance won, and that This Is going To Hurt placed so high :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hope this brings some recognition to Apple TV+, it has so many great original shows, and I still see so many people dismiss it.