Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

6) Pantheon -- Very high concept sci fi animated show. It will be a travesty if the planned second season doesn't happen because of all of the cancellation shenanigans.

It got the ax a week or two ago :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Cutting this close so I’ll be brief.

There is definitely more I need to watch from the past year but of things I did watch, here’s what I liked the most.

10. We Own This City

ACAB am I right? Another great story from David Simon. It is weird to see Marlow as a cop.

9. Somebody Somewhere

Now this was a nice little show about wondering where to go next in life and looking for a sense of belonging. In a way it feels like the show Baskets. That is if Baskets was a indie film made in the mid to late 00’s.

8. The Rehearsal

I’ve never really watched Nathan for you. I’ve seen bits and pieces and understand that a lot of the humor is derived from awkward encounters. I thought I knew what I was getting into but nope. Wasn’t expecting this. Loved it once things starting picking up in episode two with that Christian woman. Like is she even real?? This show is definitely a master class in meta narrative.

7. The Bear

Many of you have already talked about what makes this show great. I have nothing really more to add. Episode 7, woo-wee intense!

6. Andor

Star Wars good now? We’ll see if they poo poo the bed in season two. I hope not though. It was great to see a Star Wars show that was about people. I did not miss any of the usual lightsabers or force powers. It also got points for having two favorite type of narrative devices prison breaks and heists . More Star Wars stuff like this please!

5. Ranking of Kings

This was one of those half in 2021 half in 2022 shows. It is such a good anime. Beautiful animation, wonderful story, and some great action. I love that this show really brings home the theme of “Don’t judge a book by its cover” at first they establish a character as a typical archetype, example the evil step mother, but then an episode will focus on that evil step mother character and exposes them as something much more complex than you originally though. Definitely give it a watch if you’re into to that sort of thing.

4. Game Changer

This is a big guilty pleasure for me. I’m not the biggest fan of improve but when you frame it like a game show and give the “contestants” wonderfully written prompts that play to their strengths you get a wonderful and funny show. I think one of things I like most of this show, and content on dropout.tv in general, is that I really like the community of talent behind it. It nice to see familiar faces return and put into new situations.

3. Mob Psycho 100

The final season of this show. I’m sad to see it go but happy to see a satisfactory conclusion. This is another anime with amazing animation, awesome action, and a sweet story about growing up, feeling feelings, and fighting other Espers with psychic powers.

2. Severance

Holy poo poo what a show. I would have payed top dollar to get the next weeks episode while it was airing. I haven’t felt that since breaking bad first aired. I love the concept behind the show and where the creators took it. It’s so visually pleasing and drat it doesn’t keep me interested to the very end. I want the next season now! It would have been #1 if it wasn’t for…

1. Better Call Saul

As if you didn’t see this coming. This is possibly one of the greatest shows that will ever exist. It’s such a perfect conclusion to both Better Call Saul and the Breaking Bad universe as a whole. Most of you have already said what I think makes this show great so I’ll just say, if you haven’t seen it yet, watch it. It’s so good!