Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Top Shows 2022

Honourable Mentions
Minx – Fun and frothy. I hope the HBO Max Cancellation doesn’t mean the already filmed Season 2 disappears.

Heartbreak High – Fun, over-dramatic Australian teen drama. To be honest, the most unrealistic part is that the students don’t wear uniforms.

Umbrella Academy – Most of the characters are dumb and selfish. Then they have superpowers and the world ends. Every season. I’ll say the Sloane romance was one of my favourite parts of this season.

Ms Marvel & She-Hulk – Ms Marvel was cute and felt too over-stuffed. She Hulk was pretty decent but had a few dodgy moments. Kind of wish they went further with SheHulk vs incels.

Mad As Hell – After 15 years (8 years?), Shaun Micallef’s delightful Australian satirical news program finally ended.

Bluey – After buying presents for family I finally gave this show a watch. At 7 minute’s it’s quick & easy. It’s a delight. The show brings joy to kids & tips for parents.

Star Trek Brave New Worlds – It’s great to have a sci-fi show with an interesting cast that doesn’t default to one character every episode (Michael).

----

10 - Abbott Elementary – The reason this show is having success it because it’s honest and funny. There are so many little touches that are too real. As a teacher I can identify with so many of these little moments or character stereotypes. Sadly, I think I’m a bit similar to Jacob.

9 - Archive 81 – Sadly another victim of the Netflix cull. Really loved this little mystery show. I would have loved another season or two. It had echos of Ringu/The Ring and at times had me quoting Brenda in Scary Movie. Is the podcast the show is based on worth listening to?

8 - What We Do In the Shadows – It was great seeing Guillermo finally get a bit more power in the vampire dynamic. There were some great plots with the Vampire Bar, Guillermo’s family, Nandor’s genie (The wife plot…. Ehh), Colin Robinson growing up. But the best part was Laslo getting the house renovated on a HGTV program. Absolutely perfect. gently caress I love that episode.

7 - Station 11 - – So I was watching this late at night whilst I was coming down with Covid after being infected at a small NYE Party. Wouldn’t recommend the Covid part. But the flashback panic all rang a bit too true and tied into my own neurosis. Apart from the kiddie cult, I enjoyed seeing a post-apocalyptic world that wasn’t walker dominated. Kind of want a copy of the graphic novel too….

6 – Heartstopper – As a cis gay man who was a closeted teenager during the early 2000s, this sort of story wasn’t even a possibility when I was growing up. But here we are 20 years later. It’s saccharine, heartfelt and a bit real. A cute romance for queer teens.

5 - The Sandman I honestly wasn’t expecting to enjoy this, but I was really drawn into this series. Dream is still a jerk, but a flawed protagonist is always preferable. I think Death was my favourite character. So many great episodes that shine in this series.

4 - RuPaul’s Drag Race: All Stars 7 – There’s been a glut of RuPaul’s Drag Race this year. Long gone are the days when you’d get one season a year. There have been highs (Spankie Jackzon on Drag Race Down Under S2) & lows (Seemingly endless weeks of Season 14). But by and large All Stars 7 was a standout. An all-winners season without weekly eliminations. It was a joy to see amazing Drag Queens given a platform to perform. The weaknesses of the format were plain for all to see (The awful, awful scripted challenges), but the queens shone through. Now, if they can put some more quality instead of quantity into this franchise, that’d be great.

3 - Derry Girls – Sadly the end of this lovely little show. But at 3 seasons and a handful of episodes, Derry Girls goes out on a high. Between the 90s setting, constant shenanigans, comedy and fab 90s soundtrack I’m sad to see this go.

2 - The Resort – My favourite little surprise of the year. A disconnected couple goes on a holiday and after an accident one of them hyper-focuses on solving a mystery of a young couple who went missing from the area in the early 2000s. It gets a bit bonkers and I loved it. This was a great self-contained season of television that went a bit crazy from time to time.

1 -Stranger Things – It was best of times, it was the blurst of times. Watching Part 1 of this at 4am in hospital after surgery was surreal. But this show had a massive impact on the zeitgeist of 2022. Who would have thought this show would make Kate Bush popular again? I’m looking forward to the finale in 2024… The Russian plot was probably the shakiest of them all, but it was great having the group broken up so everyone got a moment to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU